Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Banter threads are not to be taken too seriously. Have fun. Let others have fun.

Who will be better in 2025

• Carlton

• Collingwood

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

What? Clubs win flags based off high picks all the time.

Hawthorn 3-peat:
Franklin - Pick 5
Roughead - Pick 2
Lewis - Pick 7
Hodge - Pick 2
Cyril & Birchall - Pick 12 & 14

Richmond 3 flags in 4 years:
Dusty - Pick 3
Cotchin - Pick 2
Riewoldt - Pick 13

Melbourne in '21 were littered with high picks.

Brisbane spent years at the bottom collecting high picks who played on the weekend - and look to be set up for a dynasty off the back of it.

That's 8 of the last 11 flags that have been won by clubs who have valued high picks - so you're just so blatantly wrong it's not funny.

I assume you're basing your argument off the fact that Collingwood don't believe in the draft, but let's just clear up that: Collingwood pinched a flag off the back of:

N Daicos - projected Pick 1-2
D Moore - Projected top 5 who you got as F/S for pick 9
Quaynor - Projected 1st round who you got as NGA.
De Goey - Pick 5

Once again, you don't get near a flag without those 4. Let's also not forget you got Pendlebury for Pick 5 who has been the rock for 20 years in keeping you competitive.

The 'draft is overrated' approach is losing its merit imo. Clubs are falling over themselves to access the draft this year before Tassie comes in, if draft picks were overrated then they wouldn't be doing that.
i am basing my argument on sides that bottomed out and took way too long to go up again. Swans Cats Pies , yes the Hawks, are constantly up there without high draft picks.
Every side has high draft picks, the will come eventually BUT as i have already stated, unless you find a generational player you are not going to rise up quickly.

Hawks had shrewd picks but also got lucky that they bottomed out at the right time. lol Tigers , they had 3. They stayed up there for longer than they should have with free agents. Carlton has had about 15 and cant get anywhere. North have had heaps but are miles off it. Gold Coast have had heaps but are miles off it, Dogs have had a couple but they never bottomed out, father son and academy picks have helped them (the system isnt fair and i am saying this as a Naicos fanatic)

Anyway i am glad you are happy with all your high draft picks, long may you get them, you seem to be on the right track again

i am basing my argument on sides that bottomed out and took way too long to go up again. Swans Cats Pies , yes the Hawks, are constantly up there without high draft picks.

Swans have an academy - not comparable. They're also making a habit of getting belted in Grand Finals.

Geelong have a monopoly on their geographic location - not comparable.

Collingwood would be bottom 6 if not for their F/S & NGA selections. If they remain a threat post 2025, I'll be seriously impressed.

Erm, Hawks build their 3-peat with high picks, then traded AWAY their high picks (for O'Meara, Mitchell etc) then fell to the bottom. It's literally the opposite of what you're saying.

lol Tigers , they had 3. They stayed up there for longer than they should have with free agents.

Again, the opposite. They stayed up until they canned the draft and traded picks away for Taranto & Hopper, then what happened? Their 2017 flag had about 9 first rounders playing.

Carlton has had about 15 and cant get anywhere. North have had heaps but are miles off it. Gold Coast have had heaps but are miles off it, Dogs have had a couple but they never bottomed out, father son and academy picks have helped them (the system isnt fair and i am saying this as a Naicos fanatic)

It takes time. The only team you listed behind schedule really is Carlton.

Now, let's list the teams that have gotten nowhere over the years by going to the 'ignore the draft' method.

Essendon trading the farm for Shiel, Stringer, Smith, Saad etc.
North under Scott
St Kilda post 2010 under Lyon
Richmond for Taranto & Hopper
Hawthorn for O'Meara/Mitchell et al
Adelaide end of 2017 recruiting Gibbs.

From 2014-2024, 8 flags have been won by teams who have rebuilt via the draft. But yeah nah, the draft is overrated. The Norm Smith medalist is a #1 pick ffs, your best player was projected #1 if not for junior injuries.

You're just clinging onto hope Collingwoods method will pay off.

Anyway i am glad you are happy with all your high draft picks, long may you get them, you seem to be on the right track again

I'm happy with our core of players we got through the draft, since ignoring the draft and trading picks away, our depth looks worse. I hope we keep pick 11 this year.

Last edited:
Swans have an academy - not comparable. They're also making a habit of getting belted in Grand Finals.

Geelong have a monopoly on their geographic location - not comparable.

Collingwood would be bottom 6 if not for their F/S & NGA selections. If they remain a threat post 2025, I'll be seriously impressed.

Erm, Hawks build their 3-peat with high picks, then traded AWAY their high picks (for O'Meara, Mitchell etc) then fell to the bottom. It's literally the opposite of what you're saying.

Again, the opposite. They stayed up until they canned the draft and traded picks away for Taranto & Hopper, then what happened? Their 2017 flag had about 9 first rounders playing.

It takes time. The only team you listed behind schedule really is Carlton.

Now, let's list the teams that have gotten nowhere over the years by going to the 'ignore the draft' method.

Essendon trading the farm for Shiel, Stringer, Smith, Saad etc.
North under Scott
St Kilda post 2010 under Lyon
Richmond for Taranto & Hopper
Hawthorn for O'Meara/Mitchell et al
Adelaide end of 2017 recruiting Gibbs.

From 2014-2024, flags have been won by teams who have rebuilt via the draft. But yeah nah, the draft is overrated. The Norm Smith medalist is a #1 pick ffs, your best player was projected #1 if not for junior injuries.

You're just clinging onto hope Collingwoods method will pay off.

I'm happy with our core of players we got through the draft, since ignoring the draft and trading picks away, our depth looks worse. I hope we keep pick 11 this year.

Hawks have also drafted in failed high draft picks like Ward and Granger barrass and they arent the reason they had success this year,..

I agree with you about the Swans academy, but Buddy Franklin was a generational player and they had him for 10 years.,.
Geelong get guys who want to go there. but also traded in a lot of players from other clubs who kept them up there. The basis of all this success was the father son rule, thats not bottoming out...
Pies gave away draft picks and paid for decent players to go.. and won a flag.. They won a premiership filling in the holes with players they needed, you cannot do that through the draft..
Lets look at Brisbane shall we... 3 high draft picks. McLuggage whos a star, Ashcroft who got there through father son and and Spraynor who was worst for brisbane and is very very ordinary. the rest were free agents, rookies and battlers. and players who they got for their needs...
Demons took forever to get up and had a number of failed no 1 picks and finally got 3 generational players in Gawn Oliver and Petracca AND picked players for their needs. (then threw it away a dynasty cos their coach is shocking)

Blues have had so many high draft picks its not funny,. have stayed low for 25 years, have the best fulll back, a star midfielder no 1 draft pick who i actually rate but is miscoached, a dual brownlow medalist and not 1 but 2 Coleman medalists and cant get out of their own way.

Draft is over rated if you want to win a flag.. you either fluke one of the 20 or so superstars of the last 15 years and win or get stuck with heaps of goodish, ordinary and bust type players and do nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Banter Carlton is better in 2024. Who will be better in 2025? Carlton or Collingwood? Part 3

Back