Carlton looking for a Key Position Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Conversely, given anything for Gibbs is probably wishful thinking, how highly do the Blues rate Jordan Russell? (and please don't do the greatest player ever angle to drive up trade ratings :p)

Jordan has done it the hard way. After years as resident whipping boy he seems to have the respect of most supporters.

Tailed off a it in recent weeks but his last 5-6 games of last year and first half of 2010 were top shelf. Still only 23 and with 90 games under his belt he is basically a rock solid HBF for the next 7-8 years

His value is something close to what we paid for him...pick 9 in a weak draft.

Lot being made of this indirect quote in one of the weekend rags. Bock would be a nice fit for a lot of teams but at 27/28 he is (rightly) looking for dollars. GC would have the inside running I would think. Aside from that Adelaide have plenty who would interest, but probably few you would be willing to part with.

Main reason is that there is no spot for him as our spine is very settled.

He'd be in contention to replace Reid this week, but I think we'll probably just bring in another midfielder or Medhurst and Goldsack will play CHB.

He was drafted as a key defender in the mould of Clement, obviously spent 2 very successful seasons as a forward - but it seems they are now putting more work into him as a defender again. We also have Nathan Brown, but I'd imagine he would be untouchable as the automatic Presti replacement.

Fair enough.
We have needs at both ends so he'd be handy.

If the Blues consider themselves a premiership threat within the next 3 years, which I think you do (right? to cash in on the Judd inluence while you can?), surely Bock must be the one you will go hard for. His game against the Dogs showed he is still one of the best in the business, and he's only 27, so a good few years left in him yet. Maybe package him up with a high draft pick and...

In return, we'll take...Gibbs, and bring him back to where he should be

;)
Only if we get Dangerfield in the deal also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

because despite 1.5 seasons in the AFL as a forward, he was drafted as a key defender and is playing key defence in the VFL now and that is where he has played a majority of his footy.

Yet he has proven himself as a forward at AFL level. A heap of players are drafted as defenders, doesn't make them AFL standard defenders. As I said he is a forward, and is actually a bloke I hope Essendon have a crack at, although I'd rather Sean Rusling imo.

Ratten has recently stated in interviews that Carlton is looking for a KPD in this years trade week:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741381

So who is available and what would the price be?

Personally I think that we would be looking at either a young Victorian gun looking to come home (really like Jackson Trengove) or an experienced solid defender to help some of the younger players develop (Matthew Warnock?)

Does the thought of developing players ever enter their mind at Princes Park?

I hope we don't chase Brown who hasn't developed.

Lacks the legspeed and agility to play full back.

Anthony wouldn't play full back ahead of Jamison.

The Pies always over value their players, so it's hard to see Carlton coming to terms with them.

The fact is, you can't have Brown. He isn't for sale. The only reason he hasn't played alot of senior footy (apart from his shoulder injury), is because we have a very good FB in Presti. Also, when Presti missed a month of footy, it was Brown who filled the void and made Presti's absence hardly felt. His closing/leg speed is also up with the best, particularly over 20m. He is also very strong aerially and takes many overhead marks one-on-one with his direct opponent. You got a close look at him a fortnight ago where he was too big and strong for your boy Hampson. Hampson's only goal on Brown came from a dubious free kick in the opening term.

You are correct about Anthony playing FB over Jamison though. Jack hasn't played as a key back for 2 seasons now, having been developed as a key forward. He would walk into your best 22 however.

Yet he has proven himself as a forward at AFL level. A heap of players are drafted as defenders, doesn't make them AFL standard defenders. As I said he is a forward, and is actually a bloke I hope Essendon have a crack at, although I'd rather Sean Rusling imo.

He's played in defence at AFL level as well, in fact he has done it this year. It's just a difficult team to break into at the moment.

John Anthony is an Adam Hunter type player, and could be very useful on the right list. Another comparison would be Luke Macpharlin, but Anthony and Hunter were never as talented in the air as Macpharlin, who hasn't really fulfilled his potential.

I would not mind losing one of our key defenders- Whilst Hurley is untouchable what would you offer for Pears, Hooker, Danniher or Tyson Slattery (kid drafted has played one game)? We probably need midfielders. I think we may need to lose one of the four (my preference for trade would be Tyson Slattery) and gain a quality midfielder.
Tyson Slattery is not a KP player. He's 189cm. He's a medium defender who can occasionally pinch hit as a tall.

Out of the Essendon players thrown up would probably only look at Pears as Hooker is more of a third tall in my eyes, Danniher is most likely to be a forward and Slattery is only a first year which effectively makes him untouchable unless he wants to leave....
He's also not a first year player.

Would you take Warnock for pick 24 or Cameron Wood for pick 14?

No Brainer!!
The two drafts weren't exactly the same strength.

i have faith enough in Jamison and Bower, both 192cm, to be the future Scarletts or tarrants or Bocks.

However, outside of that we have little options, and we get arse r*ped everytime a resting ruckman comes forward. Forgive me for wanting a BIG defender who can hold his own against the Mcintoshs, Coxs.. ****, Sandilands had a near BOG game against us marking some long ones up forward..

He's played in defence at AFL level as well, in fact he has done it this year. It's just a difficult team to break into at the moment.

John Anthony is an Adam Hunter type player, and could be very useful on the right list. Another comparison would be Luke Macpharlin, but Anthony and Hunter were never as talented in the air as Macpharlin, who hasn't really fulfilled his potential.

John Anthony has a fair way to go before he's in Hunter and Macpharlin's league...

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton looking for a Key Position Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back