Carlton looking for a Key Position Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

i have faith enough in Jamison and Bower, both 192cm, to be the future Scarletts or tarrants or Bocks.

However, outside of that we have little options, and we get arse r*ped everytime a resting ruckman comes forward. Forgive me for wanting a BIG defender who can hold his own against the Mcintoshs, Coxs.. ****, Sandilands had a near BOG game against us marking some long ones up forward..
Who does have a really tall defender tho?
Most of the time the rucks just follow their men back.

There aren't *that* many rucks around that are huge goalkickers.

Who does have a really tall defender tho?
Most of the time the rucks just follow their men back.

There aren't *that* many rucks around that are huge goalkickers.

Pies regular defenders:

Reid: 196cm, 96kg
Presti: 193cm, 97kg
Goldsack: 193cm, 90kg
Maxwell: 193cm, 90kg
Tooves: 189cm, 86kg
Harry: 188cm, 90kg
Shaw: 184cm, 86kg

Others who (can) play in defence:

Keefe: 204cm, 94kg
N.Brown: 195cm, 101kg
L.Brown: 194cm, 102kg
Carter: 194cm, 86kg
Anthony: 192cm, 92kg
Reed: 192cm, 86kg
Buckley: 190cm, 90kg
Blight: 188cm, 76kg
BJ: 183cm, 84kg

So we are very well stocked for defenders, with the added advantage of having several very good rebounding defenders who have a good bit of size so they can still go to a key forward. Eg. Goldsack, Maxwell and Reid who are all 193cm +

We also have backup for Presti to play on gorilla forwards in the 2 x Browns and a few others developing in the VFL. 204cm Keefe is playing as a defender in the VFL, but long term he would be a ruck project.

Pies regular defenders:

Reid: 196cm, 96kg
Presti: 193cm, 97kg
Goldsack: 193cm, 90kg
Maxwell: 193cm, 90kg
Tooves: 189cm, 86kg
Harry: 188cm, 90kg
Shaw: 184cm, 86kg

Others who (can) play in defence:

Keefe: 204cm, 94kg
N.Brown: 195cm, 101kg
L.Brown: 194cm, 102kg
Carter: 194cm, 86kg
Anthony: 192cm, 92kg
Reed: 192cm, 86kg
Buckley: 190cm, 90kg
Blight: 188cm, 76kg
BJ: 183cm, 84kg

So we are very well stocked for defenders, with the added advantage of having several very good rebounding defenders who have a good bit of size so they can still go to a key forward. Eg. Goldsack, Maxwell and Reid who are all 193cm +

We also have backup for Presti to play on gorilla forwards in the 2 x Browns and a few others developing in the VFL. 204cm Keefe is playing as a defender in the VFL, but long term he would be a ruck project.

To do the same to Carlton:

Michael Jamison: 193cm, 90kg
Paul Bower: 192cm, 92kg
Andrew Walker: 190cm, 89kg
Dennis Armfield: 181cm, 78kg
Jordan Russell: 188cm, 87kg

Bret Thornton: 192cm, 92kg
Mark Austin: 193cm, 93kg
Simon White: 190cm, 88kg

We've clearly pinned alot of hope in Mark Austins Development, because outside of Bower and Jamo, we are really thin of defenders. And NONE of them are taller than 193cm... We had Andrew Walker trying to spoil Sandilands...

You mean picks 24, 56 and 72 + $1m 3 year deal, right?

It ws 24 and 56 with 72 being exchanged for Freo's 69 from memory.

Don't know about dollars. Do know that he seems to have finally gotten himself match-fit and in the last two weeks has taken the points against Darren Jolly, Ryder and Hille.

Would be premature to call the trade a victory (just as it was entirely premature for every BF expert to call it a flop) but the indications are pretty positive for Carlton.

Would be premature to call the Warnock trade a victory, just as it was entirely premature for every BF expert to call it a flop.

I am one of those experts :(

He was probably our best vs Collingwood then singlehandedly turned the game vs Essendon. If he can stay on the park then this trade could be a big winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't you think they are lacking a key forward?

I think they are pretty solid down back with Bower, Jamison, Thornton and then throw in Waite that can play down there, they are pretty solid.

Up front though, who are they kicking long balls to? O'Hailpin? :p
Henderson looked ok playing out at CHF, just need someone to finish all the hard work of that flash gold midfield of yours?

He's played in defence at AFL level as well, in fact he has done it this year. It's just a difficult team to break into at the moment.

John Anthony is an Adam Hunter type player, and could be very useful on the right list. Another comparison would be Luke Macpharlin, but Anthony and Hunter were never as talented in the air as Macpharlin, who hasn't really fulfilled his potential.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Watched him play much over the past 10 years?

To do the same to Carlton:

Michael Jamison: 193cm, 90kg
Paul Bower: 192cm, 92kg
Andrew Walker: 190cm, 89kg
Dennis Armfield: 181cm, 78kg
Jordan Russell: 188cm, 87kg

Bret Thornton: 192cm, 92kg
Mark Austin: 193cm, 93kg
Simon White: 190cm, 88kg

We've clearly pinned alot of hope in Mark Austins Development, because outside of Bower and Jamo, we are really thin of defenders. And NONE of them are taller than 193cm... We had Andrew Walker trying to spoil Sandilands...
This is a reason we get kill down back only Bower and Jamison.Jamison is just o.k player nothing great.Mark Austin will probably not make it if he doesn't play regularly soon.Simon White will be just a handy but not great.

I think they are pretty solid down back with Bower, Jamison, Thornton and then throw in Waite that can play down there, they are pretty solid.

Henderson looked ok playing out at CHF, just need someone to finish all the hard work of that flash gold midfield of yours?
We have Fisher who should be at Full Forward he plays that well but hasn't had a real crack.

HFF

You beat me to the punch.

I think a key forward is a greater priority.

TBH I believe we need a KPF and a smart medium defender with good skills as our top priorities. An good KPD for cover would be useful but is not essential.

I am curious about the possibility of one of the flock of Adelaide young talls coming over.

Shaun Mckernan
Will Young
Ricky Henderson
James Sellar

what would be the price for one of these players?

I excluded Davis, Talia etc because I know they are off limits

The obvious answer to the title of this thread should be "oh reallt? Should have thought about that the last 5 drafts then!".....

Most premiership sides have vital spots filled by players traded in.

Geelong - Mooney, Ottens, Harley.
Hawthorn - Croad
Sydney - Hall, Ball, Jolly, Davis, Bolton, Wiliams.
Port & Brisbane have them as well.

I know he's being tried as a forward but imo lachie henderson could be the big chb carlton is looking for. in brisbane he always played better in the backline and although he's very young and should be given time he looks lost in the forward line and his kicking for goals is pretty shaky. of course if you put henderson down back then carlton would need another big forward after years of drafting for 'midfield depth' :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton looking for a Key Position Defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back