Game Day Carlton Reserves Game Day Discussion Rnds 2 - 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Fogarty was seeing stoppage looks as a junior and looking very promising. I still think he turn that one around, but his preparation needs to go up a notch.
I always thought that was on the back of being so much bigger than other mids in U18. Never looked quick enough or a natural ball hunter to make it as a mid in the AFL. Undersized and not quick enough to be a KPF. Was one I never wanted us to draft even with the LOB pick.

I always thought that was on the back of being so much bigger than other mids in U18. Never looked quick enough or a natural ball hunter to make it as a mid in the AFL. Undersized and not quick enough to be a KPF. Was one I never wanted us to draft even with the LOB pick.
He's still bigger than the other mids in the AFL.

In that short couple of minutes, my day has been made. In the first few clips you can see Kemp already has the side-step in his repertoire along with the 'Cripps/Walsh trademark' of bringing the arms up when being tackled to still allow a handball dish-off. Plays calm and composed, with some very nicely weighted kicks and strong marks while being bodied. Looking forward to his AFL debut.
Yes great to see he hasn't lost lateral movement (I know it only VFL so little slow motion ) but looks like he makes time -- that ball he just lazily pulled in with one hand on the wing 😳 he can ball this lad

Natural footballer. Everything he did was just smart, intelligent footy. Definitely looks like a mid and wanted to take the game on in every opportunity. It will take time to get back into it but it won’t be long before he is playing AFL.
Hopefully we don’t rush him but also allow him to play his natural game. I do worry about our coaches and development. SPS was a shadow of himself today and even looked disinterested at times. Bad feeling we have destroyed SPS.
I have always said SPS reminds me of Usman Khawaja , he is just so layed back it almost comes across as laziness but he has all the skills to succeed . I think the fact that he only just played his first game in the magoos yesterday says alot about how highly thought of he is within the club . The only thing that shits me is his dinky little ten metre kicks that get called to play on not 15 , that really does my head in .

As painful as it is I'm currently watching the replay now and WOW , you know when you can just tell a player is going to be a star and Kemp has definitely got it , as has Parks and SPS and Crocker . I know a lot of people will disagree but Crocker has got what it takes to play seniors , for Carlton anyway . 🤣
EDIT: So now that's over can safely say that Honey has got it as well but Kemp OMFG this kid is going to absolutely dominate , and a true utility that could play KP at either end or inside and outside mid , wow that is rarer than rocking horse shit and we have got the lad . I just hope when Cornes and Lyon 're-do' that draft they acknowledge Kemp as the real #1 pick . Rowell who ? 🤣😍

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We haven't ruined SPS, here is a player who refuses to put his body on the line, refuses "to go" when he has to. Has nothing to do with playing in the backline. How he plays has everything to do with why he is not played in the midfield. Has all the talent and skill in the world but without an ability to contribute physically and with such a weak physical aspect and poor level of competitiveness in his game he won't make it in the afl. Where his career is at is entirely on him, not the coaches.

If he wants to play midfield he will have to improve how he plays the game. Compete hard, commit to contests. Show some courage. Doesn't matter where he is played, that's what he needs to do.

As for Kemp, won't be in the Reserves long. Forward or back pocket, very gifted player and athlete.

Honey getting closer and closer.

Kennedy needs to be looking for a new home, just no spot in our side for him.

Like to see what Ramsay could do on a wing at AFL level.

Ramsay, Williamson, LOB, Parks can't make it?

Seems a bit extreme to me.
I don't think Parks or Williamson - to shoot Bambi a bit - have the requisite footysmarts to play AFL in a top side. Both could be role players, contribute week to week on the periphery of the side, but Parks attack on the ball is singleminded and can be made to be less intelligent/considered and more kamikazel; he's also prone to reacting to pressure with making poor decisions. Williamson has AFL physical attributes, but his game read is poorer than Cottrell; being a leader in the VFL might be the limit for him, because his role needs to have strong gamefeel or have a preternatural ability to spot up a target long upfield. Either he becomes a stopper back pocket, or he's not AFL level.

Ramsay needs to stop drifting in and out of games, but he looks like a mini Ollie Florent to me; just needs to find some dominance over a few weeks and he could replace Cottrell pretty soon. LOB needs to be belting the door down, because I don't know that deep down he believes he can do it; he needs the confidence being in exceptional form could grant to come straight in and be the player he could be. Of the players you list, he is - in my opinion - both the player we need to play more consecutive VFL games before promotion and the player we most need to come good.

Intresting observation, some players are made for the big stage.

Looks a little reluctant to go in since the injury, think he will pick up steam soon enough.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Oddly enough, Carroll is the guy I’m most bullish on.

You can just see he doesn’t want to be a VFL player. Seems to have a temper tho. Was exasperated at the disposal of the non-AFL players at times yesterday.

Yeah I noticed that exasperation by the players from the three quarters I watched . Didn’t look good for mine but it’s early days for this side to gell . Seasoned side we were up against versus a seasoned . Kemp was my tick .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We haven't ruined SPS, here is a player who refuses to put his body on the line, refuses "to go" when he has to. Has nothing to do with playing in the backline. How he plays has everything to do with why he is not played in the midfield. Has all the talent and skill in the world but without an ability to contribute physically and with such a weak physical aspect and poor level of competitiveness in his game he won't make it in the afl. Where his career is at is entirely on him, not the coaches.

If he wants to play midfield he will have to improve how he plays the game. Compete hard, commit to contests. Show some courage. Doesn't matter where he is played, that's what he needs to do.

As for Kemp, won't be in the Reserves long. Forward or back pocket, very gifted player and athlete.

Honey getting closer and closer.

Kennedy needs to be looking for a new home, just no spot in our side for him.

Like to see what Ramsay could do on a wing at AFL level.

I’ve see quite a bit of Ramsay’s junior footy.... Sam is a very instinctive player, he is super fast, picks the ball up off the ground at speed, he can get the ball onto his left foot very quickly.... so much so that you day to someone beside you and ask “who kicked that goal”....he is also a good tackler... I think the Blues should play him as a 180 odd cm small forward.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back