Carlton v Hawthorn Ranting thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I said it before the game and now....ARMFIELD is a liability. 17 points down with all the momentum, thrusting forward..has Gibbs on his own and kicks it straight to a Hawthorn player. I love the bloke's commitment but he is AND NEVER WILL be an AFL standard player. This kick I think really cost us to snatching the game.

I got criticised for questioning Warnock's marking recently, tonight......0 marks...his opponent Hale took 5 and got concussed early in the game.

GIBBS kicking 4 behind was extremely dissapointing too...

Agree that really hurt, it looked the simplest of spot ups.

Bad luck last might, Guys.

Despite the result, I came away a little grumpy we let your boys back in it - I'm still not sure who we accredit for that: Hawthorn or Carlton. I don't particularly subscribe to the notion that the Hawks 'put the cue in the rack'- Clarkson would have firmly reminded the boys the job isn't finished. However, I do believe the msg would have been along the lines of, 'keep doing what you're doing; maintain, in other words. Which, against a good side like Carlton you can't do. You have to better yourselves each quarter, or at least have that mentality.

Anyways, good luck for your team next week.

Peace.

Bad luck last might, Guys.

Despite the result, I came away a little grumpy we let your boys back in it - I'm still not sure who we accredit for that: Hawthorn or Carlton. I don't particularly subscribe to the notion that the Hawks 'put the cue in the rack'- Clarkson would have firmly reminded the boys the job isn't finished. However, I do believe the msg would have been along the lines of, 'keep doing what you're doing; maintain, in other words. Which, against a good side like Carlton you can't do. You have to better yourselves each quarter, or at least have that mentality.

Anyways, good luck for your team next week.

Peace.

Nice "bruise free" relaxing game next week.

We have the bye.

Just out of interest guys, does anybody credit Lewis with shutting Judd down?

And of the people who are talking about Rioli being overrated, how do you rate Judd's game in comparison? I would consider Rioli's game below average last night, but he still had 9 tackles and 7 inside fifties. (Obviously Judd was below par also)

And of the people who are talking about Rioli being overrated, how do you rate Judd's game in comparison? I would consider Rioli's game below average last night, but he still had 9 tackles and 7 inside fifties. (Obviously Judd was below par also)

Do you give credit to Joseph for shutting down Rioli?

Lewis had a great game, no doubt, but is being given too much credit for shutting down Judd. Players were rotating through him like a hen on halloween.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis had a great game, no doubt, but is being given too much credit for shutting down Judd. Players were rotating through him like a hen on halloween.

Either way, i haven't really seen much credit for the Hawthorn midfielders in shutting Judd down. Judd, being as good as he is, isn't this an absolutely huge effort to keep his influence to SFA?

Either way, i haven't really seen much credit for the Hawthorn midfielders in shutting Judd down. Judd, being as good as he is, isn't this an absolutely huge effort to keep his influence to SFA?

So you're after a pat on the back? Yes, the Hawthorn midfielders did a fine job in stopping Judd. I haven't read through the thread so I can't imagine anyone saying otherwise, but this is after all a rant thread.

This is a "Ranting" thread BTW just incase you hadn't noticed.

But to answer your question, Lewis was good but Judd had 2 - 3 players hanging off him through the whole game.

I'll start off with the negatives first:

NEGATIVES:
1. when the game was hot, our ability to crack in was non existent and we went into our shell.
2. seriously in need of a key forward, as our best forward tonight was our best defender. Waite wont cut the mustard, seriously without sounding outlandish, Mitchell all of a sudden whilst he hasn't played a game is most of if not the most important youngster we have on our list.
3. Our Ruckman need to impose themselves more around the ground.

POSITIVES:
1. The bye this week. Seriously although we were running on top of the ground in the 2nd half, blokes like Robbo, Buzz, Ellard, Judd need a break. Again i will reiterate, the club would again wish for this timing of a bye next year.
2. Hendo. T.V does not do the justice as to his performance last night (neither do the commentators, as the mere sight of buddy in screen has his one on one battle a win for him). Worked tirelessly all night and really had only 2 direct goals that were kicked on him. Again against the best forward in the comp, from a relative newbie that's unbelievable going.
3. Jamo getting through the game unscathed.
4. Ratts and the coaching department. Last year that game would have been a 10+ drubbing. Last year we were all calling for Ratts head because of his lack of change up, his lack of ability to read the patterns of play. Last night, Jamo forward Bird back, Yazza forward in spurts, Walks in the guts, Gibbs on the ball and forward. Game back on and in reach.
5. The will for the boys to fight back. Yes the game was theoretically over at half time and the pressure was off, but we dug our heals in and persisted. They came to a standstill and we ran on top of them.

Overall disappointed with the loss, none the less the positives are real positives.

Both are duds because they did not dominate.:rolleyes:

While the first half frustrated me to no end the thing i am most angry about is that i had to put up with the commentators jizzing their pants everytime rioli got a touch. He is so overrated it is not funny.

On last night's performance we would have to say Judd is also so overrated, wouldn't we? Can't judge on one game. However Rioli was more value to Hawks than Judd to the Blues.
As for commentator wetting their pants, well Judd has been doing that for years.

Just as a matter of interest: Do you think Hawthorn supporters felt good after that win last night?

So i suppose you can't answer my question?

I can't speak for all Hawks supporters, but i had mixed feelings about last night. Obviously getting the four point was the most important thing, but our second half wasn't great. Inaccuracy was also a bit of worry, albeit for both teams. Overall, a win against a top 4/5 team is something i would take every day of the week.

So which part of rant do you not really understand.

This thread is for us to bitch about our piss poor performance last night... it isnt here to give you Dawks supporters a quick jerk to make you feel good about beating us. We dont have to answer your questions because you are being a bit of a twat about things so **** off

Wow, calm down mate. I was just asking a question. I didn't say anybody HAD to answer it, i was just asking whether the other poster couldn't answer it, or if he just didn't want to.

Where was i being a twat? i thought i was being quite polite, as it is your board, and was responding to comments posted about my original comment.

Wow, calm down mate. I was just asking a question. I didn't say anybody HAD to answer it, i was just asking whether the other poster couldn't answer it, or if he just didn't want to.

Where was i being a twat? i thought i was being quite polite, as it is your board, and was responding to comments posted about my original comment.

You were starting to get stroppy about us answering your question.

We dont have to answer it... but just to satisfy you, I will attempt an answer.

Whenever you see Judd during the game, he always had someone running past him crashing into him. Now the AFL has the umpires watching for people holding him like Mcphee was doing a couple years back, the answer the other coaches came up with is to have people run into him whenever he is near the ball.

The players just need to deviate enough from their line of running with their player to bash Judd and disrupt his run.

We didnt do enough blocking during the course of the match which allowed him to run freely.

Now... you have an answer, whether it is the one that you are expecting, I have no idea but it is possibly the best you are going to get

Unlike your compatriot I won't rubbish your post.

Can we win the premiership? I think not unless W/C lose 2 games which is unlikely. Would take 4 x 4 quarters of our best and when you consider that we've done that maybe twice this year would seem a monumental task.

You, on the other hand can if you are able to get Geelong and have Buddy and Cyril (although the latter has to be the most overhyped player in the league) cut loose in the big one.

Don't care though who wins it too much as long as someone beats Collingwood.

Thanks for the response. I was actually being serious Dr Evil. Anything is possible but I can't help get the feeling that we are like the Western Bulldogs have been over the last few years. (i.e. Good enough to beat most of the competition consistently but just falling short of the very best. I hope I'm wrong.)
You guys should account for either Sydney, Saints or Essendon in an elimation final based on yesterday's game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton v Hawthorn Ranting thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back