Carlton - very worrying signs from tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

thank God that fat gangster Stevens nvere came to s - he was a disgarce last night and is far from an inspiration to young players. Murphy, Gibb & Fev are class (the latter a selfish headcase but still class) Judd is an enigma - on balance I suspect Carlton fans are a little disappointed with the intensity levels ( maybe that happens when the motivation is $ only) Clokey is a plodder although I wish Skooter was still with us. Kreuzer is a beauty. Some real talent but as last night showed - surrounded by players who are unlikely to play finals - ever. Still lots of work to do to end the worst finals drought in their history:)

Carlton resembled witches hats last night , very poor skills with no ticker yet they still get talked up.
Last night has proven they have a very long way to go and who knows, this group may just not be good enough, period.
There is possibly 4 or 5 players to build around which could take many seasons.

I would love to have a decent discussion about this. Hopefully I can find one.
I actually thought most of this thread was quite reasonable. Maybe slightly more flattering to Carlton than their effort last night deserved.
Still, I think most Blue fans should feel quite satisfied with their season this year and positive towards next.

Honestly I was expecting much more from Carlton lsat night.

I thought they had the potential to break even with us in the midfield and with Fev up forward, kick a few goals. Their backline is pretty suspect in my view and I thought if we played really well we could get away with a 6 goal win.

For all those who say Carlton had nothing to play for - have a look at how Port and Freo finished the season - supporters of those clubs will have finished the season feeling much more optimistic about 2009. Very ordinary from Carlton.

The hawks tagged Stevens and Judd. I thought Stevens was an interesting choice. But as said earlier, Gibbs and Murph played well but didn't seem to influence the game.

Note - the hawks have said after a few matches this season that they don't care if the opposition players are getting stacks of possessions in the back half, so maybe this explained why Judd got the 31 up despite being tagged. Judd did some great work inside which would have made up 15 of his disposals, but he did get a lot of touches deep in defence where Sewell was nowhere near him (except the turnover that Sewell marked and goaled from.)

I'd be very disappointed if I was a blues fan after that game. Commiserations guys.

19-May-2006

Hawthorn 5.2 6.4 9.7 9.7 61
Melbourne 6.4 10.10 13.13 20.16 136

Hawks only had half of last night's side in at best. Shows how fast a lineup can change. People should never equate a poor performance with length of time to correct.

27-May-2006

Hawthorn 0.3 3.6 6.11 7.12 54
Sydney 5.2 7.3 14.3 19.5 119

Buddy returned for this one.

11-Jun-2006

Port Adelaide 8.2 15.4 18.10 22.13 145
Hawthorn 2.1 2.4 5.5 7.7 49

01-Jul-2006

St Kilda 5.7 10.9 16.13 18.17 125
Hawthorn 0.1 3.3 3.6 8.7 55

That is 4 games getting beaten by 10 goals plus, another game by 50+. Carlton have been beaten by 10 goals plus once this year, last night and 2 further games by 50 points +.

Hawks won 9 games in 2006, Carlton 10 games this year.

A few current Hawks stars had dirty days back then and a few were still learning. You might want to check out some BF threads from 2006 to see the same hysteria about how the Hawks were travelling. They made the finals the next season and are in the mix for the flag this season.

Sat 20-May-2006

Collingwood 6.0 12.3 18.10 22.14 146
Geelong 2.1 2.4 3.6 6.8 44

Sun 02-Jul-2006

Adelaide 3.6 10.12 14.17 21.21 147
Geelong 2.4 4.5 5.6 8.7 55

Sun 03-Sep-2006

Hawthorn 7.1 11.2 15.4 21.7 133
Geelong 2.2 6.4 7.8 10.12 72

3 10 goals + losses to the Cats in 2006, another one by 50 +. Similar finishing position to Carlton this year.

The Cats team in these losses contained the bulk of their flag side and current side.

Carlton do need to turn some more players over and have a couple more stand up. The side as a whole are on the ascendancy but like any young emerging side are prone to dropping their bundle.

Need I remind you that the Hawks have been flogging us for a couple of seasons now. We just do not match up well on them at all, much like the Cats against the Pies.

I actually thought most of this thread was quite reasonable. Maybe slightly more flattering to Carlton than their effort last night deserved.
Still, I think most Blue fans should feel quite satisfied with their season this year and positive towards next.

People react without thinking and there are a couple of shockers in this thread. The one above mine swayed my opinion of the thread generally.

Words like ordinary and average etc are fine when taking a performance in isolation. When discussing a list they are just ill informed filler.

Hawks fans know more than anyone how fast things can change. Both sides assembled a great midfield. Hawks have some capable rucks. Carlton have capable to genuinely exciting rucks coming through over the next couple of years. Admittedly the Hawks have more guns up forward and younger guns at that but I feel we have more backline options.

Our backline wasn't terrible last night. Roughead, Franklin and Williams had 18 marks between them, 13 inside 50, only 4 of them contested.

It was most definitely the midfield supply and lack of pressure on them.

Sure Judd, Gibbs and Murphy racked up the stats but the next tier Scotland and Carrazzo were late withdrawals. We simply did not have much of a rotation last night. It does not take much, 5% here or there and a good side will punish you unmercilessly.

Using Bentick, Pfeiffer and outside runners Simpson, Houlihan and Stevens (yes he is very much an outside mid) to support the premier 3 ... well it doesn't inspire me a lot. A couple are good players but not a-grade mids for a tight and tough occasion.

Waite was all at sea up forward but then we were Fev obsessed given the circumstances, and we were missing Eddie Betts which in turn means plenty of defensive rebound for the other team.

Our structure and gameplan needs tweaking but last night was not the time to do it. I'd file this one away under 'who cares' and front up next season full of confidence.

This game arguably shouldn't be taken into account when we talk about Carlton's season.

After about half time carltons only target was Fev. They looked more concerned with getting Fev his 100 than winning the game.

Hawthorn did shit all over us but im not too worried. That game was't about points.

theres another 18 players u idi*t

:cool:Thats what the thread is about mate.

The other 18 players are a fair bit off the pace?

What are the Blues supporters thoughts on Joe Anderson? He's 19 -20 and will be out of contract after his first two seasons, has put on some bulk, had ankle injuries(I think) this year and played 3 games. Showed great courage in the last 2 seconds last week taking a mark and getting crunched by J Brown. His kicking really lets him down and needs work, I noticed last night he was running and handballing more than kicking.

He's a local lad from darwin I know, hence the interest.

Thoughts!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton's major problem is that they don't have a second & third forward who is capable of kicking goals to add to Fevola. I don't think they are that far away - they SHOULD make the 8 next season.

I thought Gibbs was great last night - he has improved so much this season and it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the catalyst for that side and bags himself a Brownlow one day.

Carlton may need to revert back to tanking in 2009 to get some early picks so they can have a crack in 2010.

I think its your mob most people are concerned with now days when it comes to tanking? West Coast a 40point worse off team than Melbourne? laughable!

Then again, when half your side runs off to Melbourne and you get completely screwed over in the trade you have to rely on early draft picks to re-build ;)

Not worried about Carlton at all - last night was a given.

thats the same shit we hear every year
Yes but this year we DID get the required improvement.

It's not as though things aren't happening to justify that hope.

I suppose the Pies fans at the end of each season, decide that next year will be crap?

Chris Judd (31 possessions + 1 goal), Marc Murphy (36 possessions), Bryce Gibbs (32 possessions, 11 marks + 2 goals) and Brendan Fevola (7 goals) all had fantastic matches. It could be argued that these 4 players are the best 4 footballers on Carlton's list.

Now, when your 4 best players all have cracking matches and your team still goes down by near on 80 points there is something seriously wrong. For Carlton's sake I hope the rest of the squad can improve rapidly next season, if not it looks like we could be seeing them outside the top 8 for many more years to come.

Mate watch the game you fool we only wanted Fev to get the ton,Worry about your mob your only good players are over 30.

and what have you guys ever had you w***er ****

lol all the talent and nothing to show. Their fans must be suffering some form of depression? after so long and so many failed attempts. If there was ever a picture next to 'Pretender' in the dictionary, thats where you'd find the 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 StKilda team photos.

As your fellow Hawthorn supporter, philhawk has pointed out, Carlton are at a very similar stage to where Hawthorn were in 2006 & just need to fill a couple more gaps in the team (hopefully that will occur during the upcoming trade week) to be playing finals.

Main difference was Hawthorn invested in some terrific Key position talent including 1 of the best players in the game today. Roughhead and Franklin weren't starring back then but getting games under their belt.

It takes time to develop key position talent. Midfielders are ready earlier.

carlton will have to trade to get the key position talent they need. By the time it would take to develop a KP draftee to be competitive, Fevola will be past his best and Stevens most likely retired.

lol all the talent and nothing to show. Their fans must be suffering some form of depression? after so long and so many failed attempts. If there was ever a picture next to 'Pretender' in the dictionary, thats where you'd find the 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008 StKilda team photos.

Hmmm, pretender...cheats...there are many names you can call a club, I know which one I would rather not be called.;)
Looking forward to the finals. :)

Main difference was Hawthorn invested in some terrific Key position talent including 1 of the best players in the game today. Roughhead and Franklin weren't starring back then but getting games under their belt.

It takes time to develop key position talent. Midfielders are ready earlier.

carlton will have to trade to get the key position talent they need. By the time it would take to develop a KP draftee to be competitive, Fevola will be past his best and Stevens most likely retired.

Hence why I made the comment that we need to fill 1 or 2 more gaps, hopefully in this year's trade period & another forward target is one of those gaps.

I think this year's trade week will be one of the more active weeks for a number of years with teams getting themselves ready for the upcoming compromised drafts. Although we probably won't trade our #6 pick, unless there is an absolute gun on offer, I think we will be active with our other picks & there may be some surprise player trades on our part, as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton - very worrying signs from tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back