Carlton - very worrying signs from tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

When you are a young, inexperienced side you usually only have around 5 or so players that repetedly play well and lift the other to play well. That group for us is Judd, Fevola, Murphy, Gibbs and usually Waite.

Last night all of them had a pretty average day, meaning the younger kids didn't have as much confidence. Gibbs was outstanding though.

Just young and inconsistent.

Trying to give it to Fevola at every opportunity also didn't help our turnover rate and score against either.

Your best players have had fantastic seasons, playing virtually every game of the year, there have been occassions in matches where Fev has kicked a bag; Judd, Stevens, Murphy etc have had 30+ possesions and yet you STILL have lost.

I would be very worried.

A few key injuries and you will fall away very quickly

Whatever helps you sleep at night :)

Is that seriously the best you've got? Care to deal with some explanation with your childish rebuttal?

1. You're an Essendon Supporter.

2. You have the mentality of Essendon > Daylight > Carlton all the time in regards to everything.

3. This will go nowhere. You hate us, i don't wish to deal with you.

Simple.

Carlton 2008 = Hawthorn 2006 = St Kilda 2003

The similarities are striking ;)

lol - in the last part of the 2003 season the Saints won four out of five last games by ten goals or more, getting beaten by Geelong on a very wet Kardinia Park game by a couple of goals.

Carlton have been nowhere near the Saints of 2003 in the last five games. The Saints didn't get flogged by 80 points in their last game.

Another false dawn.

There was a bloke wearing number 15 on his back that showed the world what damaging possessions look like....you know the one, the one that was head and shoulders BOG tonight....

Judd can have as many cheap 1 meter handballs , "give it back to me and i'll give it back to you handballs in the back pocket as he likes.

Steven Browne? :D:D

1. You're an Essendon Supporter.

2. You have the mentality of Essendon > Daylight > Carlton all the time in regards to everything.

3. This will go nowhere. You hate us, i don't wish to deal with you.

Simple.

So if I was a West Coast supporter, you'd give me a little more credibility? Thats great logic...

Your going on the assumption that I would have such a mentality, but I am also capable of making objective assessments - try me

Perhaps you don't wish to deal with me because you don't want to face up to a very distinct possibility of what could happen to your side

Chris Judd (31 possessions + 1 goal), Marc Murphy (36 possessions), Bryce Gibbs (32 possessions, 11 marks + 2 goals) and Brendan Fevola (7 goals) all had fantastic matches. It could be argued that these 4 players are the best 4 footballers on Carlton's list.

Now, when your 4 best players all have cracking matches and your team still goes down by near on 80 points there is something seriously wrong. For Carlton's sake I hope the rest of the squad can improve rapidly next season, if not it looks like we could be seeing them outside the top 8 for many more years to come.

that means nothing its a 22 man effort against north about round 11 ablett had a career high 39 dispoasals tearing it up mooney a career high 7 goals but we only won by 2 goals so u need more then just a few players

The fact is their star players have all had great seasons and played all year. They have had a charmed injury run (yes, they've had injuries here and there, like any team, but none that are vitally important players).

Imagine if they had a few of their most crucial players go down (ala Essendon with Lucas, McVeigh, Davey, Hille, etc), heck just imagine if Fevola went down. The results would not be easy on the eye for Carlton fans, I can guarantee that.

The gap between their best player(s) and worst player(s) is probably the biggest in the league. That is worrying.

The gap between their best player(s) and worst player(s) is probably the biggest in the league. That is worrying.

thats so just stupid there team is so young there only gonna get better and so melbourne they must be the best team in the league because there best player is like what a tad better then there worst player does that make them in a good position NO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact is their star players have all had great seasons and played all year. They have had a charmed injury run (yes, they've had injuries here and there, like any team, but none that are vitally important players).

Imagine if they had a few of their most crucial players go down (ala Essendon with Lucas, McVeigh, Davey, Hille, etc), heck just imagine if Fevola went down. The results would not be easy on the eye for Carlton fans, I can guarantee that.

Our star players may get injured.

Your three star players will retire in the next year or so.

And on your point about Essendon and your injuries - you haven't exactly set the world on fire in the last few weeks with your 'stars' out. I reckon you have looked bloody terrible - you were pitiful last Friday night against the Bulldogs who are only just 'travelling' at the moment.

It's good to see that Carlton supporters still have hope.:):thumbsu:
They have had it for the past 6 years.
I'm guessing that this rubbish remains because your trolls are so lame and people pity you.

Disagree.

The comparisons between Carlton 08 and Hawthorn 06 I believe are amazingly similar.

Add a couple more talented young players and they'll have something even better to work with in 09.

Well said Philhawk. Your boys were far too good tonight - great team performance from a team with more than their fair share of stars and rising stars - that's footy! Every dog has his day and I'm starting to hear a lot of woofs out Glenferrie way; good luck in the finals, if not for Geelong I'd say you guys would be certainties this year. Looking forward to 09 with increased optimism.

Our star players may get injured.

Your three star players will retire in the next year or so.

Which of our star/important players are retiring in the next year or so? Lloyd and Lucas still have a few more years left, McVeigh, Davey, Hille & Watson have many more to come. Fletcher is our only important player retiring in that time.

And on your point about Essendon and your injuries - you haven't exactly set the world on fire in the last few weeks with your 'stars' out. I reckon you have looked bloody terrible - you were pitiful last Friday night against the Bulldogs who are only just 'travelling' at the moment.

We haven't set the world on fire, you're right. Thing is we aren't just missing a couple of stars. We are missing 10-15 of our best 22 and are forced to name emergencies that are injured. Bit of a difference there.

Just a night when some players just chose to run ahead of the ball. There was very little midfield pressure applied to Hawthorn. I sensed a lack of intensity after the crowd was cleared off the field following Buddy's 100th goal & was hoping the boys would regroup at quarter time. They obviously found it hard to refocus after the 8 minute 'circus'.

We certainly missed the run we normally get from defence, with Scotland out & Waite starting up forward. Also missed the forward pressure that is normally applied by Wiggins & Ratten got outcoached for the first half, with Hodge being allowed to run off Cloke, when he probably should have put Waite across onto Hodge, forcing Clarkson to match Cloke up with Gilham.

Overall, though it just continued the trend of the season where we found it hard to string together a couple of wins in a row, hence our 10-12 win/loss record for the season. That is what you are going to get with a large number of kids. Some good highs & some bad lows. Consistency will come when more of them get above the 50 game mark.

What a pathetic excuse.

Chris Judd (31 possessions + 1 goal), Marc Murphy (36 possessions), Bryce Gibbs (32 possessions, 11 marks + 2 goals) and Brendan Fevola (7 goals) all had fantastic matches. It could be argued that these 4 players are the best 4 footballers on Carlton's list.

Now, when your 4 best players all have cracking matches and your team still goes down by near on 80 points there is something seriously wrong. For Carlton's sake I hope the rest of the squad can improve rapidly next season, if not it looks like we could be seeing them outside the top 8 for many more years to come.
Take it you had a bit of spare time on your hands so you thought you'd spend it writing sh1t.

Anyway, if you really believe that you can. Actually, seeing you're so sure you may as well place money on it on the punt. A bookie would take it. Lot's of money given your confidence. Just as you go place your bet this overwhelming feeling that you were simply tugging it again will hit home and you'll withdraw your bet.

Meanwhile, i'll sit here pretty happy and content with the way life's travelling down Princes Park way. BTW, how is life at Windy Hill........lol ?!!!

lol - in the last part of the 2003 season the Saints won four out of five last games by ten goals or more, getting beaten by Geelong on a very wet Kardinia Park game by a couple of goals.

Carlton have been nowhere near the Saints of 2003 in the last five games. The Saints didn't get flogged by 80 points in their last game.

Another false dawn by the cheating, tanking, characterless, rabble from Princess Park.

Some of these supporters will be in their rocking chairs at 80, still with a big chip on their shoulder, still banging their walking still on the ground screaming "cheats, cheats, they're all cheats". Think you should build a bridge before it takes over your life.

Talking tanking, how did Roo and Kosi get to St.Kilda? Come back when you win a 2nd flag in 110 years. Even Fitzroy won 8.

Some of these supporters will be in their rocking chairs at 80, still with a big chip on their shoulder, still banging their walking still on the ground screaming "cheats, cheats, they're all cheats". Think you should build a bridge before it takes over your life.

Talking tanking, how did Roo and Kosi get to St.Kilda? Come back when you win a 2nd flag in 110 years. Even Fitzroy won 8.

Come on, they have 'won' 26 spoons :eek:

finishing 11th doesn't exactly 'make a season'

Maybe not but bending your mob over a couple of times sure helped. ;)

I would think Essendon have a few more worries than Carlton ;)
The Blues had a bad game against a very strong Hawthorn side..i'm not taking too much from the loss , overall we've had a very good year of rebuilding...we need to trim and add to the list during the preseason and i'm pretty confident we can move forward a little more next year .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton - very worrying signs from tonight

Remove this Banner Ad

Back