Carlton's Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Noticing not a lot of people are putting Scotland in their sides? Thought he was a fairly important player, although he was struggling to get a game at certain periods last year..
He was, had a bad year last year with form, confidence and a few injuries.

Has apparently really improved his attitude so far this pre-season and taken on a mentoring role with Yarran as well. Would be great to have him in top form again. We'll find out I guess..........

backs: armfield, jammo, thornton
h/backs: Russel, waite, o'keefe
centre: simpson, mclean, joseph
h/forward: yarran, kruezer, walker
forward: austin, henderson, betts
foll: judd, murphy, gibbs
int: hampson, warnock, lucas, grigg

emg: robinson, browne, hadley, irish

B: Joseph-Jamison-Thornton
HB: Russell-Bower-O'keeffe
C: Gibbs-Cachia:D-Mclean
HF: Waite-Henderson-Simpson
F: Walker-Austin-Yarran
FOL: Kreuzer-Judd-Murphy
INT: Hampson-Garlett-Lucas-Grigg

;):thumbsu:

B: Bret Thornton- Michael Jamison- Dennis Armfield
HB: Jordan Russell- Paul Bower- Andrew Walker
C: Bryce Gibbs- Marc Murphy- Kade Simpson
HF: Mitch Robinson- Jarrad Waite- Andrew Carrazzo
F: Shaun Hampson- Lachie Henderson- Chris Yarran
FOL: Matthew Kreuzer- Brock Mclean- Chris Judd
INT: Jeff Garlett- Shaun Grigg- Aaron Joseph- Kane Lucas

I would like us to get a settle backline thats plays week in week out. Last year We had players getting injured quite abit and struggled for form. I would love to add Rhys O'keeffe to that half backline and move Walker to midfield/half forward. Hes a beautiful kick and would have no trouble taking the kick outs:thumbsu:. Our midfield is elite. With Brock in now that can free up Judd/murphy/Gibbs to do some great things! Our forward line is alright but not great. I would love to see hampson/kreuzer rotating from forward and ruck it could make them quite a force to stop. I left out betts becuase i reckon Garlett/Yarran has more defensive skills and more x factor than betts. But if betts is more consistant throughout the season i would be happy to put him back in. I left out Houlihan/Scotland/wiggins becuase i don't think they will be around by the time when we will be top 2 fighting for a premiership. Hopefully in 2011 we can add Jaryd Cachia who sounds like gun and another hard nut to the team. Also would to see Taylor Walker there too!
It's a pretty good team I think we would finish 4-6. We are behind Geelong, St Kilda, Bulldogs, Adelaide and Hawks. But things could change.

Ok we are all persisting with Henderson in your best 22!
Henderson is not ready to be in your best 22 at this stage - i'll explain why.

First of all not only is he very young but his body is not developed enough yet to face the rigors of such a position that CHF obviously is.

To face the likes of Rutten, Glass, Lake, Presti, Fisher, Scarlett, Carlisle, and co at a measly 92kg sounds like sending out a lamb to the slaughter to me. People say things like "team balance" and "give him a go"- reeks of the desparates!

Like a good red wine the kid needs time introduce him slowly and against teams like Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney where the defences aren't as scary and he can gain a bit of confidence. Gee at the moment it's like he is the new Messiah or something.

Baggers get those rose coloured glasses off and cut the kid some breathing space to develop and bulk up - put him in too early and weigh him down with expectations - well it could all go awfully wrong! Sure Setanta is a good person to trial down there - but Lachy at this point in time just aint ready.

Therefore i place him on the periphery of your top 22.

Some of his peers such a Tippett and N. Brown are much more physically developed - he as such is not.

Just take it slowly with him and next year you will reap the dividends!

Through the media it has been ascertained that Ratten intends to play Henderson as a forward this year. He played 15 games (mostly in defence) for Brisbane and from reading reports http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=647083 is quite capable of handling himself.

Most likely will not be our only focal point but is going to be given game time. Who is to say he will get the top defener every week, as you point out he is still developing and placing a top defender on him would be a waste in an oppostion coaches eyes.

Out of curiousity how much have you seen of Henderson? How do you know that he isn't in the Hurley mould (ready to go)? He could be surprisingly built or agile and capable of eluding defenders...or he could be a beanpole all you have are height and weight figures. I for one do not want him to be our only target, rather a second or third tall with the bigger bodied Waite and O'Halpin as primary focus.

P.S. CHF is a position in name only these days, I cannot think of a true modern CHF, the ball moves too fast and talls start much deeper these days. Roaming talls are often starting very deep or up on the wings.

If Waite stays fit he will no doubt prove a key swingman for us.

Should our forwardline stay servicable, we now have enough experience through each line of our team to compete with the more mature teams.

From the back;

Joseph Jamison Scotland
Russell Bower Thornton
Waite McLean Gibbs
Yarran Kreuzer Simpson (midfield resting rotation spot)
Betts Henderson Walker

Warnock Judd Murphy

o'hAilpin Grigg Armfield Robinson

Who'd I forget?!

The bolded are our oldest players (IIRC) and all, bar Waite have replacements waiting in the wings, outside of this 22, which really makes me smile :D

A lot to prove, has o'Keeffe but he is touted as our next pinpoint 'quarterback', could well follow in Scotland's footsteps.

Personally we can upgrade Thornton should Austin hit his straps. Spewing I couldn't find a spot for Aussie in the above side.

Hampson is a more potent, if somehow more raw forward option, than Big Irish.

Any team would struggle to replace the pure talent that someone the size of Waite can provide.

Also a note on the inclusion of Armfield and Robinson. Watching the Carlton v. North game last night (~R19) - it is as blatant as daylight that players like this, that chase and tackle, and throw themselves into packs without hesitation are integral to knocking over more mature teams. Armfield has the best tackle on him bar no-one in our team - yes even Joseph/Judd/Bentick, and Robinson's raw enthusiasm would cause other players to lift on field. Browne is another of these players, albeit more of a "footballer's footballer" with innate ability to read the play, and courage to boot.

I'm getting carried away with myself :D

One of the most important players for next year is Setanta.
Agree 100%

From elsewhere;
Setanta appearing more and more every day as a lock for the 22 at one of the Forward posts. Could use his aggression as a spark, not to mention provide the obvious protection needed for our other options in (any of) Kreuzer, Hampson, Warnock, Henderson.

I am more concerned with our immature forwardline being able to cope with the rigors of a high-impact sport like ours, rather than their ability to kick goals.

A not too unlikely forward line of:
Yarran Kreuzer Walker
Betts Henderson Grigg (or any of our resting midfield rotation)

Would have an average age probably well below 22.

Throwing Setanta around in their would add some physical intimidation to compliment the talent envy the opposition would no doubt have.

Protection is paramount.

Definatly supporting Setanta as our mature forward target to take pressure off of Henderson. He has got the size and grab to hold FF and should be more than competent enough to make a huge contest in the forward 50 for defenders. Henderson then takes a pocket and cops second defender maybe, easier on him

We've been discussing playing Hampson up forward. His kicking was much better today, than what it was the last time I attended training. Hit his targets, and the ball spun like a drop punt, which he couldn't even do 7 days ago. Perhaps last week was just a bad day.

Just on a side note, wanna give a shout out to Joshua Donaldson. A really good trainer, great set of hands, and he was having a few shots at goals after training, and I don't think he missed one. Might be one to keep our eye on throughout 2010 with the Bullants guys.

It's still sort of weird seeing Jordan Russell being named in best 22's. Seems not that long ago, I was over here helping to defend him. Not sure what the club differently, but kudos to whoever did it....

b: Aaron Joseph - Michael Jamison - Mark Austin
hb: Jordan Russell - Paul Bower - Shaun Grigg
c: Kade Simpson - Bryce Gibbs - Andrew Carrazzo
hf: Marc Murphy - Jarrad Waite - Chris Yarran
f: Eddie Betts - Setanta O'hAilpin - Andrew Walker

r: Matthew Kreuzer - Brock McLean - Chris Judd

i: Robbie Warnock - Bret Thornton - Mitch Robinson - Steven Browne

I must admit, trying to fit everyone from your midfield into the team is a little depressing from an opposition perspective (rest of the team....not so much :)).

Notable exclusions would seem to be Hampson, Armfield and Henderson. But I'm still a big fan of Warnock, while Browne and O'hAilpin would be two of my favourite Carlton players. So they all got a gig in my team.

I look forward to seeing how you guys go about replacing Fevola, as there a few different options. Personally, I hope whatever road you go down doesn't involve Kreuzer playing predominantly as a forward, because he is the type of player I would be looking to have involved in the play as often as possible (i.e. all over the ground). That balancing act might be one of the tougher decisions for the coaches to make....

On a side note, that whole Ballantyne/most hated thing was a tad cringe worthy. Mainly just some new posters trying to stick up for their club, admittedly a bit of an overreaction though. Oh and for the record, it's Judd and Wiggins for me.....:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at these 22's gets me thinking that quite a few of our older players are looking out of favour. Carrazzo, Scotland and Houlihan are all going to be on the outer this year competing heavily for positions.

Carrazzo has Joseph to contend with to be our primary tagger, Browne and Armfield as defenders, and Walker, Grigg, Lucas to play on the wing.

Scotland is up against it with Grigg, O'Keefe, Bower and Russell all more preferred for his old HBF spot and I'm not sure if he will reclaim.

Houlihan is most directly in competition with Yarran but also has the likes of Robinson, Walker and whoever is resting out of midfield rotations on the HFF.

For that matter finding a spot for Walker is an interesting conundrum. I think he played his best football as our roving shut-down player and when he makes the side again should focus on becoming that. Joseph is probably a shoe in as our primary tagger on the medium-small mids and players like Browne and Russell have shown capable of doing similiar defensive roles on opposition midfielders and forwards. Perhaps he is served best as our defensive forward, playing on the best opposition rebounder and making him accountable.

Right now Carrazzo and Walker probably make my bench, but who knows with all that potential (dirty word) coming up from the young kids.

Looking at these 22's gets me thinking that quite a few of our older players are looking out of favour. Carrazzo, Scotland and Houlihan are all going to be on the outer this year competing heavily for positions.

Carrazzo has Joseph to contend with to be our primary tagger, Browne and Armfield as defenders, and Walker, Grigg, Lucas to play on the wing.

Scotland is up against it with Grigg, O'Keefe, Bower and Russell all more preferred for his old HBF spot and I'm not sure if he will reclaim.

Houlihan is most directly in competition with Yarran but also has the likes of Robinson, Walker and whoever is resting out of midfield rotations on the HFF.

For that matter finding a spot for Walker is an interesting conundrum. I think he played his best football as our roving shut-down player and when he makes the side again should focus on becoming that. Joseph is probably a shoe in as our primary tagger on the medium-small mids and players like Browne and Russell have shown capable of doing similiar defensive roles on opposition midfielders and forwards. Perhaps he is served best as our defensive forward, playing on the best opposition rebounder and making him accountable.

Right now Carrazzo and Walker probably make my bench, but who knows with all that potential (dirty word) coming up from the young kids.

I still consider Carrazzo to be in our best 22 and starting on the ground. He is a proven ball winner, tagger & goal kicker, and too handy to be given an 'off the bench' role. I would like to see him take the #1 tag or played as a Half-Forward. The job he did as a negating HF on Luke Hodge last year shows he is still a very important player for us.

I still consider Carrazzo to be in our best 22 and starting on the ground. He is a proven ball winner, tagger & goal kicker, and too handy to be given an 'off the bench' role. I would like to see him take the #1 tag or played as a Half-Forward. The job he did as a negating HF on Luke Hodge last year shows he is still a very important player for us.

I rate Carrots our 3rd most important midfielder, behind Judd and Murphy. Silkier skilled players such as Gibbs and Simpson rate higher in terms of 'best' but for running all day and finding the footy it's easy to see how he won a best and fairest. I believe his skills have improved since then too. :thumbsu:

I rate Carrots our 3rd most important midfielder, behind Judd and Murphy. Silkier skilled players such as Gibbs and Simpson rate higher in terms of 'best' but for running all day and finding the footy it's easy to see how he won a best and fairest. I believe his skills have improved since then too. :thumbsu:

I agree completely..........although he may drop a peg with Mclean now at the Blues as the extractor. But, Carrotts ability to run all day and do a job while getting the ball himself is a credit to him and the team. I would like to see him this year provide protection for Judd and Murphy through some strong armed blocking of taggers.

Carrazzo has been one of my favourites for those reasons. I'd much rather drop any of Simpson, Walker, Wiggins, Grigg, Garlett, Yarran, Robinson, Scotland, Houlihan, Joseph and Hadley before I'd even think about dropping him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton's Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back