Carlton's Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi All,

First post after Xmas, I hope you all had a ggod one.

It's getting tougher and tougher to do these types of exercises now, the depth over the past couple of years has grown substantially..........any way heres my crack.......and not the type of crack you find on an old brickie!

B: Anderson Jamo Austin
HB: Thornton Bower Russell
C: Simpson McLean Walker
HF: Gibbs Hendo Waite
F: Betts Setanta Houla

Foll: Kruz, Judd, Murphy

Int: Hampson, Grigg, Joseph, Carazzo

Em: Yarran, Warnock, O'Keefe, Hadley

Notable Inclusions:

Anderson: I think outside of Joseph this guy is one of our best smaller defenders as he can also play on mid-sized lead up forwards. He has plenty of run off the back line, but needs to work on his decision making.

Russell: Showed plenty last year and is a real confidence player and I think his performances will hold hin in good stead for this coming season......expect a break out year. Plenty of pace and he seems to be backing his decision with more conviction. I think the club physologist has made a re difference here.

Bower: It is time for Bower to step into a true KP. Last year he was getting moved to easily by his opponents, but in all fareness to him I know he was carrying a knee injury for most of the year and it was effecting his movement.

Thornton: He needs to take Waites role from before he get injured.

McLean: This is the guy that has really got me excited. He has the grunt we need, but can also play outside when needed. With his forst preseason in years I am looking forward to a huge year.

Walker: He never use his versatility to its full advantage. On a wing I hope he can use his tank to get back and forward as needed. Watch out league if he is given a licence to raom around the ground. He will keep his opponent accountable but will also hurt them when going forward. he was recruited as a potential Kouta, lets throw him some faith and see if he can do what we drafted him for.

Gibbs: He played mostly off the HB, it is time for him to step into the mide-field area. A HFF will allow to work into space and also create goals with his fantastic disposal. He can play forward and in the centre.

Hendo: I am really excited about this guy..........he just seems to have the right attitude, infact the attitude of a true CHF. 1st out on the training park and last to leave......love it. Some say play his full forward, I say play him where he really loves to play.

Waite: Many say to play him as a CHF.........I am sorry but Waite is not a CHF's elbow. He is not a pack buster, he is a 195 cm sublimely skilled player that as a third type forward/wingmen/mid/defender is an absolute nightmare to match up on. We need to let him do what he does best. He will drag the best defender out of the F50 and cut them up in the open spaces on the wings. Also as a HFF he can also go down back on occassion to help out and rebound.

Setanta: Flawed in many ways, but he has the size and speed to really be a handful. With a new forward strucutre what we need most in this position is a guy that is going to provide a contest everytime. Not just on the lead but also body to body and defensively.

Houla: Still one of the most skilled players on our list.

Kruz: To ruck first and then rest in a forward pocket on occassions or down back late in qtr's to stem any late goals. All in all he is like another midefielder out there. We should though rest him during the year, with so many good option in the ruck now we can do this, late last year he got very sore and tired.

Murphy: Time to become a truly "A" Class Mid

Hampson: Expect even more development this year, I expect large amounts of time in the forward line this year.

Grigg: Injured most of last year and I expecting a rebound year. Great versatility..............he will start the year on the bench and will take someones spot by mid season......

Joseph: Depending on the opponents will determine his position. This year I think he will begin to focus on hurting his opposition on the rebound.......great find!

Carrazzo: Finds the ball and gives us some grunt off the bench. Needs to watch out as Hadley is breathing down his neck and I am tipping Hadley will get him by the end of the year being a much better decision maker with the ball and a more than satisfactory rotation for McLean.

Yarran: Hard to tip Yarran at the moment. He looks to be in great nick but based on last years games he doesn't make the team yet. I am tipping this will change with him spqueezing Houla out.

Warnock: Another that is hard to tip. Probably part of a ruck rotation and depending on the injuries could get a lot of games. All our rucks must perform due to competition for positions.........great position to be in.

O'Keefe: Bit of a roughy here, beuatiful kick and seems to have the right body and attitude. Will push for selection with year as a HBF.....

Summary: Overall what is going to be the vital part of this team is attitude and concentration. The backline needs stay vigilant on thir tasks and really work as a team........I will say the backline works so much better when Jamo is in there...... The mid-field needs to go boths ways, to often our backlike is on the recieving end of some harsh critisism due to the lack of accountability out of the mid-field. Going forward I would doubt there is a more devastating group in the competition with the additions of Mclean and Walker from injury. The F50 is going to be the intersting one due to obvious reasons...........I honestly beleive we will be the better for it and so will many careers within CFC. We now must be multi pronged, not that we weren't but Fev attracted/demanded the ball above all others. Attitude will be the key here, attitude to working for each other and also attitude towards defensive pressure. Our pressure from kick ins has been appalling and to me this is just as important as pressure in general F50 play. We were never going to win a premiership with Fev in the team, we were far to reliant on him. My only negative on the situation is the terms in which he left.........if we had got rid of him last year without all the Browlow stuff we would have got more for him, unfortunately we were bent over a barrell and needed to get rid of him for the longterm beneift of the club.

Premiership Window is ajar...........2011 it will be open.

Cheers all and have a great New Year!

Go Blues!

Hi All,

First post after Xmas, I hope you all had a good one.

It's getting tougher and tougher to do these types of exercises now, the depth over the past couple of years has grown substantially..........any way heres my crack.......and not the type of crack you find on an old brickie!

Notable Inclusions:

Anderson: I think outside of Joseph this guy is one of our best smaller defenders as he can also play on mid-sized lead up forwards. He has plenty of run off the back line, but needs to work on his decision making.

Russell: Showed plenty last year and is a real confidence player and I think his performances will hold hin in good stead for this coming season......expect a break out year. Plenty of pace and he seems to be backing his decision with more conviction. I think the club physologist has made a re difference here.

Bower: It is time for Bower to step into a true KP. Last year he was getting moved to easily by his opponents, but in all fareness to him I know he was carrying a knee injury for most of the year and it was effecting his movement.

Thornton: He needs to take Waites role from before he get injured.

McLean: This is the guy that has really got me excited. He has the grunt we need, but can also play outside when needed. With his forst preseason in years I am looking forward to a huge year.

Walker: He never use his versatility to its full advantage. On a wing I hope he can use his tank to get back and forward as needed. Watch out league if he is given a licence to raom around the ground. He will keep his opponent accountable but will also hurt them when going forward. he was recruited as a potential Kouta, lets throw him some faith and see if he can do what we drafted him for.

Gibbs: He played mostly off the HB, it is time for him to step into the mide-field area. A HFF will allow to work into space and also create goals with his fantastic disposal. He can play forward and in the centre.

Hendo: I am really excited about this guy..........he just seems to have the right attitude, infact the attitude of a true CHF. 1st out on the training park and last to leave......love it. Some say play his full forward, I say play him where he really loves to play.

Waite: Many say to play him as a CHF.........I am sorry but Waite is not a CHF's elbow. He is not a pack buster, he is a 195 cm sublimely skilled player that as a third type forward/wingmen/mid/defender is an absolute nightmare to match up on. We need to let him do what he does best. He will drag the best defender out of the F50 and cut them up in the open spaces on the wings. Also as a HFF he can also go down back on occassion to help out and rebound.

Setanta: Flawed in many ways, but he has the size and speed to really be a handful. With a new forward strucutre what we need most in this position is a guy that is going to provide a contest everytime. Not just on the lead but also body to body and defensively.

Houla: Still one of the most skilled players on our list.

Kruz: To ruck first and then rest in a forward pocket on occassions or down back late in qtr's to stem any late goals. All in all he is like another midefielder out there. We should though rest him during the year, with so many good option in the ruck now we can do this, late last year he got very sore and tired.

Murphy: Time to become a truly "A" Class Mid

Hampson: Expect even more development this year, I expect large amounts of time in the forward line this year.

Grigg: Injured most of last year and I expecting a rebound year. Great versatility..............he will start the year on the bench and will take someones spot by mid season......

Joseph: Depending on the opponents will determine his position. This year I think he will begin to focus on hurting his opposition on the rebound.......great find!

Carrazzo: Finds the ball and gives us some grunt off the bench. Needs to watch out as Hadley is breathing down his neck and I am tipping Hadley will get him by the end of the year being a much better decision maker with the ball and a more than satisfactory rotation for McLean.

Yarran: Hard to tip Yarran at the moment. He looks to be in great nick but based on last years games he doesn't make the team yet. I am tipping this will change with him spqueezing Houla out.

Warnock: Another that is hard to tip. Probably part of a ruck rotation and depending on the injuries could get a lot of games. All our rucks must perform due to competition for positions.........great position to be in.

O'Keefe: Bit of a roughy here, beuatiful kick and seems to have the right body and attitude. Will push for selection with year as a HBF.....

Summary: Overall what is going to be the vital part of this team is attitude and concentration. The backline needs stay vigilant on thir tasks and really work as a team........I will say the backline works so much better when Jamo is in there...... The mid-field needs to go boths ways, to often our backlike is on the recieving end of some harsh critisism due to the lack of accountability out of the mid-field. Going forward I would doubt there is a more devastating group in the competition with the additions of Mclean and Walker from injury. The F50 is going to be the intersting one due to obvious reasons...........I honestly beleive we will be the better for it and so will many careers within CFC. We now must be multi pronged, not that we weren't but Fev attracted/demanded the ball above all others. Attitude will be the key here, attitude to working for each other and also attitude towards defensive pressure. Our pressure from kick ins has been appalling and to me this is just as important as pressure in general F50 play. We were never going to win a premiership with Fev in the team, we were far to reliant on him. My only negative on the situation is the terms in which he left.........if we had got rid of him last year without all the Browlow stuff we would have got more for him, unfortunately we were bent over a barrell and needed to get rid of him for the longterm beneift of the club.

Premiership Window is ajar...........2011 it will be open.

Cheers all and have a great New Year!

Go Blues!

Hi All,

4 talls in backline is too many IMO:(

Hi All,

4 talls in backline is too many IMO:(

When I looked at it I was a bit concerned as well, but the likes of Thornton and Bower can both play small. Also with Carrazzo on the bench with Joseph we would have great flexibility in the back half

Some really good posts in this thread. We are developing some awesome depth now. Finding it very hard to work out our best 22. I think the biggest challenge is going to be on the coaches to work out how to best use the talent they have at their disposal, especially in this post-Fev era with a brand-new forward structure. Our ruck setup is far from settled as well, with Warnock pushing for selection. Can we play Warnock, Kruezer, and Hampson in the one side? The one player I'm really looking forward to seeing play in 2010 is Chris Yarran. A ridiculously talented footballer. He's the sort of player who can inflict some serious scoreboard damage very quickly. One to watch in 2010.

:)

How about:

Army Jamo T-bird
Bower Austin Russell
Gibbs Mclean Simo
Walker Waite Robo
Betts Hendo Yazza

206 Judd Murph

Joseph Hammer Kreuze Carrazzo

Would actually really like to see White running off half back too so looking forward to seeing his efforts in the preseason games.

I'd rate the likes of Grigg, Hadley, Irish, Jeffrey, Browne and Lucas as an unknown behind the boys above at this stage.

Sure you did, Sham-Man... :rolleyes:

Nah its true, I swear. Im still crying over the loss - it must have been my longest and bestest effort on this site ever, which means that it probably got to 3 paragraphs and / or mentioned at least 3 different players.

I'm still in pain.

The selected highlights just for you Thy-tighter were:

* BlueFeaver, I used to agree with you on Anderson until Robertson tore him apart, now he is a long way away
* I refuse to put 206 in my best 22 because I didnt rate him even when he was fit
* I think we need to play our 3 magic forwards all at once as it is a competitive advantage
* McLean and Henderson picked to play every game
* Unlikely in my mind that Houlihan, Fisher and Wiggins will get many games at all this year
* MAssive year for Walker just to get back to an AFL player

B: Armfield Jamison Joseph
C: Murphy McLean Gibbs
HF: Waite Henderson Yazzamatazza
F: Betts Setanta Garlett
R: Kreuzer Judd Simpson
Int: Hampson Walker Grigg Hadley

MENTAL NOTE TO SELF: Save above text before hitting 'Submit Reply'

Ok after a lot of thought this is my team:

Forward:

Betts Henderson Thornton
Walker Kreuzer Yarran

Comments - when I see Kreuzer I see Nick Reiwoldt. I think we need two key forwards and for mine Hendo and Kreuzer are a great tag team that can each kick 30-40 goals this year and 50+ in years to come. Thornton is a surprise but as he gets older he loses pace and that is important as a modern defender. He is a great mark and leader and I think adds valuable experience to a young forward line. Opposition teams will also need to man him up so he will take a quality defender. Yarran and Betts will be quality small forwards and Walker adds that X factor. He can do midfield rotations and needs to work on his forward pressure but for mine Walker is too flashy to be a defender and not good enough to be a full-time mid. He is the ideal athletic mid sized forward.

Midfield:

Warnock McClean Murphy Judd

Grigg Gibbs (Wings)

Comment: this whole side (and Krezuer) being played forward hinges on Warnock being fit and worthy of a spot in our 22. The midfield basically picks itself as these guys are top shelf. McLean is the grunt and the other three are all class, wheras Grigg is the guy we need to turn into a great tagger. All good sides need a tagger in the starting five and to mine Grigg is the best option. This obviously hinges a lot on his development but I really rate Grigg and think he can fill this role.

Defence:

Joseph Jamison Austin

Russell Bower Waite

Comments: Jamison is an obvious pick at FB, as is Joseph on the small forwards. Russell proved he deserves a shot as a medium sized defender and I think will be a real find in years to come. Bower is at CHB because I really rate the Emu and have done since he played for Peel. When I see Bower I see a young Leppitsch (albeit smaller). Defenders take time to mature and this guy with some work on his disposal and a bit of bulk will turn into a monster rebounding defender. Mark my words he will be all-Australian in the future. As for Austin, I have seen enough to believe he can be a solid defender and very serviceable as a third tall down back. Waite in the interesting one. To me he needs to revolutinise the role someone like Hodge plays in defence - an athletic big man that runs like a midfielder. Waite is the quarterback, he provides the run and confidence from defence. He starts on a fourth tall and can afford to roam free and set up play. If we are losing the midfield battle he becomes more defensive. To me he is Hodge on steroids. I also believe this backline can gel over the next 3 years into a premiership defence and this is behind my move of Thornton to the forward line.

Bench:

Hampson Carazzo Simpson Hadley

Comments: Hampson picks himself and will be a good ruckman (who I believe could play as a FF but I see more upside in Kreuzer as a forward just...). The other three are simply our next best 3 mids at this stage. I believe we have enough flexibility with our side to simply play a ruck and 3 mids on the bench.

Future:

Overtime I think our premiership window opens in 2012. The defence you see there is a premiership defence in my view.

The midfield will likely see Lucas replace Carazzo and Browne (who I really rate) replace Hadley. Thornton and Walker are the two question marks. Will billy-bob be able to command a place in three years time? Will a good third tall option come through?

Walker is simply in his head. He can be a really really good forward/mid - he needs to get his body and head right. The key to our premiership hopes is to play for accountable football but I think the shell of 17 is there it just needs some polish and a specific gameplan.

Oh and to solve discipline - Leigh Matthews as director of football. Pay him 800k per year (I will chip in the first 10k). I saw first hand the influence he had on a young lions side - the shit they pulled stopped after he threw one brownlow medalist across a room. Bring him down!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok after a lot of thought this is my team:

Forward:

Betts Henderson Thornton
Walker Kreuzer Yarran

Comments - when I see Kreuzer I see Nick Reiwoldt. I think we need two key forwards and for mine Hendo and Kreuzer are a great tag team that can each kick 30-40 goals this year and 50+ in years to come. Thornton is a surprise but as he gets older he loses pace and that is important as a modern defender. He is a great mark and leader and I think adds valuable experience to a young forward line. Opposition teams will also need to man him up so he will take a quality defender. Yarran and Betts will be quality small forwards and Walker adds that X factor. He can do midfield rotations and needs to work on his forward pressure but for mine Walker is too flashy to be a defender and not good enough to be a full-time mid. He is the ideal athletic mid sized forward.

Midfield:

Warnock McClean Murphy Judd

Grigg Gibbs (Wings)

Comment: this whole side (and Krezuer) being played forward hinges on Warnock being fit and worthy of a spot in our 22. The midfield basically picks itself as these guys are top shelf. McLean is the grunt and the other three are all class, wheras Grigg is the guy we need to turn into a great tagger. All good sides need a tagger in the starting five and to mine Grigg is the best option. This obviously hinges a lot on his development but I really rate Grigg and think he can fill this role.

Defence:

Joseph Jamison Austin

Russell Bower Waite

Comments: Jamison is an obvious pick at FB, as is Joseph on the small forwards. Russell proved he deserves a shot as a medium sized defender and I think will be a real find in years to come. Bower is at CHB because I really rate the Emu and have done since he played for Peel. When I see Bower I see a young Leppitsch (albeit smaller). Defenders take time to mature and this guy with some work on his disposal and a bit of bulk will turn into a monster rebounding defender. Mark my words he will be all-Australian in the future. As for Austin, I have seen enough to believe he can be a solid defender and very serviceable as a third tall down back. Waite in the interesting one. To me he needs to revolutinise the role someone like Hodge plays in defence - an athletic big man that runs like a midfielder. Waite is the quarterback, he provides the run and confidence from defence. He starts on a fourth tall and can afford to roam free and set up play. If we are losing the midfield battle he becomes more defensive. To me he is Hodge on steroids. I also believe this backline can gel over the next 3 years into a premiership defence and this is behind my move of Thornton to the forward line.

Bench:

Hampson Carazzo Simpson Hadley

Comments: Hampson picks himself and will be a good ruckman (who I believe could play as a FF but I see more upside in Kreuzer as a forward just...). The other three are simply our next best 3 mids at this stage. I believe we have enough flexibility with our side to simply play a ruck and 3 mids on the bench.

Future:

Overtime I think our premiership window opens in 2012. The defence you see there is a premiership defence in my view.

The midfield will likely see Lucas replace Carazzo and Browne (who I really rate) replace Hadley. Thornton and Walker are the two question marks. Will billy-bob be able to command a place in three years time? Will a good third tall option come through?

Walker is simply in his head. He can be a really really good forward/mid - he needs to get his body and head right. The key to our premiership hopes is to play for accountable football but I think the shell of 17 is there it just needs some polish and a specific gameplan.

Oh and to solve discipline - Leigh Matthews as director of football. Pay him 800k per year (I will chip in the first 10k). I saw first hand the influence he had on a young lions side - the shit they pulled stopped after he threw one brownlow medalist across a room. Bring him down!

Hmm...what are the chances of Matthews becoming head coach in the next year or so?

The placement of Waite in the side seems pivotal to it's make up in the short term. He has played very well down back but he is a natural forward and might be the weapon we need. Coming back from his knee reco shouldn't be a swingman for this year (trying to keep it light and gametime down) more as a pinch hitter IMO, which suits up forward, but it all depends on his match fitness

B: A.Joseph - M.Jamison - B.Thornton
HB: J.Russell - P.Bower - R.O'Keefe
C: K.Simpson - B.McLean - B.Gibbs
HF: C.Yarran - J.Waite - A.Walker
F: E.Betts - L.Henderson - M.Kreuzer
FOLL: R.Warnock - C.Judd - M.Murphy
INC: S.Hampson - K.Lucas - M.Austin - A.Carrazzo
Didnt no weather to leave Kreuzer in the ruck or forward line. And if i should have put Waite down back, got very difficult.

Alot of depth in the club this year. :D

B: Joseph-Jamison-Thornton
HB: Russell-Bower-O'keeffe
C: Gibbs-Cachia:D-Mclean
HF: Waite-Henderson-Simpson
F: Walker-Austin-Yarran
FOL: Kreuzer-Judd-Murphy
INT: Hampson-Garlett-Lucas-Grigg

;):thumbsu:

B: Russell -Thornton - Armfield
HB: Bower - Jamison - Grigg
C: Hadley - McLean - Gibbs
HF: Simpson - Waite -Walker
F: Betts - Henderson - Wiggins
Foll: Kreuzer - Judd - Murphy
Int: - Carrazzo -Houlihan – Scotland - O’hAilpin

Emg: Hampson – Johnson – Joseph - O’Keeffe

B: Russell -Thornton - Armfield
HB: Bower - Jamison - Grigg
C: Hadley - McLean - Gibbs
HF: Simpson - Waite -Walker
F: Betts - Henderson - Wiggins
Foll: Kreuzer - Judd - Murphy
Int: - Carrazzo -Houlihan – Scotland - O’hAilpin

Emg: Hampson – Johnson – Joseph - O’Keeffe
Joseph is our tagger - therefore he needs to play.

AND .. we need more than one ruckman.

Okay bagger supporters - i've read most of these team posts and i'm not too sure on one player.
Lachlan Henderson - what has he actually achieved to be rated by all of you as one of your best 22? 15 games for Brissie from my research.

Backs: Bower Thornton Carazzo

H/Backs: Jamison Russell Scotland

Centres: Simpson Murphy McLean

H/For: Waite Hampson Walker (needs to stay injury free)

Forwards: Betts Kruezer Wiggins (tough and uncompromising)

Rucks: Warnock Judd Gibbs

I/C : from Hadley Joseph Browne Grigg Austin

The likes of Yarran, Garlett, Armfield and Lachy need more time and development - look to introduce them midseason

Nice looking team tho overall

Okay bagger supporters - i've read most of these team posts and i'm not too sure on one player.
Lachlan Henderson - what has he actually achieved to be rated by all of you as one of your best 22? 15 games for Brissie from my research.

He's definitely in my best 22, not because he's necessarily ready to come in and kick 50 goals, but more because he's a very highly rated KP prospect who has now been in the system for 3 seasons. You can nurse kids along all you like but eventually you've just got to play them to see if they have it ....just look what happened with JK onec he was getting regular games at WC. I think that time has come for Hendo, the key will be to give him help down there, which should come from the likes of Kreuzer, Hammer, Waite and Irish.

My 22:

Browne Jammo Thornton

Scotland Bowyer Russell

Simpson McLean Walker

Yarran Waite Murphy

Betts Henderson Kreuzer

Warnock Judd Gibbs

Bench: Joseph, Hammer, Carrazzo, Irish

Maybe a bit top heavy though (although Irish is pretty flexible).

When you consider that theres no room in that side for the likes of Houlihan, Grigg, Gartlett, Robinson, Armfield etc etc, we're starting to build some depth.

Backs: Bower Thornton Carazzo

H/Backs: Jamison Russell Scotland

Centres: Simpson Murphy McLean

H/For: Waite Hampson Walker (needs to stay injury free)

Forwards: Betts Kruezer Wiggins (tough and uncompromising)

Rucks: Warnock Judd Gibbs

I/C : from Hadley Joseph Browne Grigg Austin

The likes of Yarran, Garlett, Armfield and Lachy need more time and development - look to introduce them midseason

Nice looking team tho overall

Probably the same reason why Brown would be in your best 22 picked:

* Some really good signs as a young player (albeit less opportunity than Brown)
* Top 10 pick in touch year
* Outstanding KPP prospect
* List and team balance.

Henderson is in the best 22 for sure.

Whenever I look at our team last year and you'd see C. Cloke. I would always know it's going to be tough. Okay it was only for 9 games, but still, I was more nervous when he had the ball than if we were down 30pts with a qtr to go.

Anyway, I was looking through the 22's here, and really I worry a bit about Armfield's disposal, and Houlihan's cripplingly slow running style thinking I actually like all our players now. I don't cringe at Cloke, or Fev when he starts talking to the umpire. Plus having Waite back and another year into all of our talented youngsters.

This is going to be a good year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton's Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back