Caro awakes from a 12 month slumber

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Lorelei
*bring out the violins*

All that I get from this article is a heap of sour grapes because a) she could never do what Eddie is doing and has done, and b) she has the worst hairdresser in Melbourne.

Jealousy is a curse, Caro and IMO she has been reading Big Footy for far too long and jumped on the "Whinge/moan/complain about Eddie and the Greatness of Collingwood Bandwagon".

Getting quite boring really.

Jen
Okay, maybe sour grapes from Caro, but how do you explain everyone else who thinks it's a conflict of interest?

Haven't you noticed that the majority of people who don't have a problem with Eddie calling Collingwood matches happen to be Collingwood supporters? Your opinion is most likely biased and really doesn't hold much sway compared to neutral people.

It's not like Eddie hasn't got a whole smorgasboard of other work he can do. As 'great' as Eddie is, he has made a major error of judgement if he thinks it is appropriate for him to call Collingwood matches. He should be big enough to recognise this and step down.

Where does this man's ego end? Will it take until there are statues and murals of Eddie all over our vast land before someone twigs and has to call in the coalition tanks to tear down his ego?

Originally posted by BrisGirl
Channel 9 Executives should sit and listen to a game sometime.

ahem... it was the very same 'Channel 9 executives' that want McGuire to commentate.

McGuire = ratings. Purely evident by the vast amount of Eddie discussion even right here on bigfooty.com.

Someone is laughing all the way to the bank... ka-ching!

Originally posted by emilsitka
McGuire = ratings.

I wouldn't flatter him that much.

I don't watch Channel 9 football to hear McGuire.

I watch the football no matter what, and it does not matter who is playing.

It becomes unbearable when McGuire does the commentary when Collingwood are playing anyone else.

Every other supporter from every other club has to suffer at sometime, and only when they play Collingwood and McGuire is in the commentary box.

Originally posted by BrisGirl
I wouldn't flatter him that much.

I don't watch Channel 9 football to hear McGuire.

It becomes unbearable when McGuire does the commentary when Collingwood are playing anyone else.

Every other supporter from every other club has to suffer at sometime, and only when they play Collingwood and McGuire is in the commentary box.

Agree wholeheartedly.

Perhaps it is time for a pay per view Club Channel.

Then the Eddie McGuires of this world can rabbit on about their marvellous Poies -- and how they are being shafted by that nasty AFL -- all they want.....and none of the rest of us have to listen.

Originally posted by kimp
He's really gone too far this weekend and has loss all creditability. Seriously comparing anything to do with football with the seriousness of the Iraq situation and people's suffering under communist Russia is in such poor taste and it has been noted outside the football world.
And, considering he got that poll pulled from the AFL site last year, it's the height of hypocrasy for him to be whinging about censorship.

I've come to the conclusion that caro is simply a 'sports gossip columnist'. That may or may not be a bad thing, but basically here's a breif summary. Her articles revolve around 'rumour' and 'speculation'. Every article of hers includes the golden line seen in many gossip stories 'a source close to the (club/player) has said' which is what a journo uses as, 'I'm making this bulls***t up and using this so I can't get sued'.

Anyway, not long ago she appeared alongside that bearded c**t walls on the footy show. Of course, her material didn't change much from whatever she rights about at the age. Can I just ask, who gives a heck about boardroom bitch sessions between ceos and player managers? Unless they involve a pile of money, some hookers and a mountain of cocaine in a hotel room, not F**KING ME!

I remember when she wrote in the then Football Record. Infact, one time she was the editor if it. It was cringeworthy ****e. Remember when Jim Stynes broke the record for consecutive games? I mean he was unstopable then. He played one game with a broken arm, broken finger and played seven straight with his left leg stapled to his hip. Well, that week when he enetered AFL and football history, guess what she ran on the front cover? (as she was the editor at the time) A story on tony f**king shaw bungee jumping with collingwood. I kid you not. There was a page dedicated to Stynes' remarkable effort, yet 2 and a half on some collingwood training session.

Get to f**k is what I say to her articles.

Oh and btw, she tipped us to win the flag last year. Shows how much she knows about the game.

Originally posted by pedrothelioness
Don't go picking on her physical attributes, thats just a stupid male way of doing it, and any arguements you have lose points when you have to pick on the person, not what they are saying.
She has a point, only problem is, nothing is going to change, so perhaps she shouldn't have pointed out the bleeding obvious and got her journalistic skills working on something perhaps more useful.

So I take it we won't be hearing 'McChins' and the like round here anymore. Goodo.

The call on Thurs was fine.

I don't get what the big deal is?

If I don't like something or someone, I simply do not watch/listen to them. If you don't want to hear Eddie, turn the sound down and watch the vision with the radio on.

Don't watch the footy show.

Don't watch Millionaire.

Don't watch the Logies.

It is SIMPLE.

(Which is why I rarely watch Talking Footy)

The fact is, regardless, his popularity will still reign. This is because so many people enjoy what Eddie has done for not only Collingwood, but the game itself. They love the way he commentates, they enjoy watching Millionaire, still tune in for the footy show every week.

Get used to it. He is going to be around for a lot longer and good luck to him for it.

How many of us would like to have come from the outer to be President of our clubs? How many of us would have loved to achieved our dream job at 17?

See him for who he is - a passionate supporter and real self-made Australian success story. A true example of where hard work and dedication will get someone.

If only there were 15 more Eddie's to lead each club and the AFL... then maybe some people wouldn't spend so much time jumping up and down sprouting the same bull each week.

Jen

Originally posted by Lorelei
.....turn the sound down and watch the vision with the radio on.

Don't watch Millionaire.

Don't watch the Logies.

It is SIMPLE.

Jen

I don't watch any of McGuire's shows.

As for turning the sound down on the TV so I can watch a football game is one-sided way of looking at it and it is naive.

McGuire is biased in his commentary and should not be in the box when Collingwood play. It is real simple.

I don't get what the big deal is?

If I don't like something or someone, I simply do not watch/listen to them. If you don't want to hear Eddie, turn the sound down and watch the vision with the radio on.

Don't watch Millionaire.

Don't watch the Logies.

It is SIMPLE.

(Which is why I rarely watch Talking Footy)

The fact is, regardless, his popularity will still reign. This is because so many people enjoy what Eddie has done for not only Collingwood, but the game itself. They love the way he commentates, they enjoy watching Millionaire, still tune in for the footy show every week.

Get used to it. He is going to be around for a lot longer and good luck to him for it.

How many of us would like to have come from the outer to be President of our clubs? How many of us would have loved to achieved our dream job at 17?

See him for who he is - a passionate supporter and real self-made Australian success story. A true example of where hard work and dedication will get someone.

If only there were 15 more Eddie's to lead each club and the AFL... then maybe some people wouldn't spend so much time jumping up and down sprouting the same bull each week.

As far as hosting other programs go, it has nothing to do with COI. Personally I think McGuire is a great host.

People do NOT love watching him call Collingwood games. His call on Thursday was horrific at best, and there have been quite a few shockers.

As for his success, well done to him, I reckon it's terrific what he's achieved for himself and Collingwood. If we want to watch the footy, however, we're going to have to listen to the commentators. And 15 more Eddie's?!!?! :eek:

All I, and I'm sure many others, ask is to not have Eddie calling Collingwood games.

Originally posted by TheMightyDons

People do NOT love watching him call Collingwood games. His call on Thursday was horrific at best, and there have been quite a few shockers.

Collingwood games or no Collingwood games he's a poor excuse for a sports "commentator"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by The Ewok
Collingwood games or no Collingwood games he's a poor excuse for a sports "commentator"

Maybe it's still an adjustment period after all the years of ch7 commentators, but to me his bias aside, the most annoying trait is that it sounds like he is calling a dog race or conducting an auction.

Same tone, different volume levels.

Q. Whats more annoying, frustrating and rhetorical than Eddie McGuire?

A. The constant posts on Big Footy about him.

Seriously, there are prolly more Eddie threads on this board than in the individual team board.

I think an Eddie board should be set up. Seriously. I am sick and tired of reading the same, tired excuses regarding him, him commentating, conflict of interests, his clothing, voice, tv shows, hair style, speeches, events he has appeared etc.

Maybe an individual board would allow all those who obsess over the man, to do it in a place where we aren't confronted with it constantly.

It is all looking a little creepy to this lil' magpie who doesn't understand what all the fuss is over. Maybe it is just the novelty factor - once you all get used to the man, and see him beyond the black and white stripes that he proudly represents, I'm sure you'll have his photo on your dashboard in no time.

:) :)

Jen

Originally posted by Molly Meldrum

I'd love to see Caro actually do a story on actual football though, instead of the backroom gossip column rubbish she usually vomits out.

Your prayers won't be answered, because gossip and inneundo through "sources" are the trademarks of her journalism.

And she seems to quite enjoy it. When the Wayne Carey scandal broke last year, she was like the proverbial kid let loose in the candy store.

Remove this Banner Ad

Caro awakes from a 12 month slumber

Remove this Banner Ad

Back