Caro awakes from a 12 month slumber

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie is a disgrace! The man should resign from calling Collingwood games, as it is getting beyond a joke. As much as I like Dennis, Dermott and Gary, I found myself muting the TV and playing the radio on Friday night. Listening to Eddie cheerleading in the commentary box, and calling the Collingwood players by their nicknames made me sick.

If people are so pathetic as to bag Caro's physical appearance after a quality article, then I will do the same about Eddie. Stand down you fat arseh*le!

Originally posted by Lockyer24
I'm not sure who is more of an ugly scrag, Caroline or Rebecca Wilson (The Fat)

Rebecca's the bigger moron, but I suppose in her defence it runs in the family - her brother's Channel 7 reporter Jim Wilson.

Originally posted by understudy
bad luck its not gunna happen.

why dont you get a life instead.

why does it so concern you so much. its such a trivial matter.

Are you all trivial people?

YES why else are we all here. You just love it. BTW I am nearly up to 500 posts. For me that is a big deal. :D

Originally posted by M29
I've come to the conclusion that caro is simply a 'sports gossip columnist'. That may or may not be a bad thing, but basically here's a breif summary. Her articles revolve around 'rumour' and 'speculation'. Every article of hers includes the golden line seen in many gossip stories 'a source close to the (club/player) has said' which is what a journo uses as, 'I'm making this bulls***t up and using this so I can't get sued'.

Anyway, not long ago she appeared alongside that bearded c**t walls on the footy show. Of course, her material didn't change much from whatever she rights about at the age. Can I just ask, who gives a heck about boardroom bitch sessions between ceos and player managers? Unless they involve a pile of money, some hookers and a mountain of cocaine in a hotel room, not F**KING ME!

I remember when she wrote in the then Football Record. Infact, one time she was the editor if it. It was cringeworthy ****e. Remember when Jim Stynes broke the record for consecutive games? I mean he was unstopable then. He played one game with a broken arm, broken finger and played seven straight with his left leg stapled to his hip. Well, that week when he enetered AFL and football history, guess what she ran on the front cover? (as she was the editor at the time) A story on tony f**king shaw bungee jumping with collingwood. I kid you not. There was a page dedicated to Stynes' remarkable effort, yet 2 and a half on some collingwood training session.

Get to f**k is what I say to her articles.

Oh and btw, she tipped us to win the flag last year. Shows how much she knows about the game.

A concise summation of Caro. The only thing I'll add to it is her tendency to portray herself as being a fan of keeping tradition in the game and feigning concern for the supporters who can't afford to pay for memberships and the like.

Having more Saturday afternoon games is one of her pet topics and notably she agreed with Wayne Jackson yesterday when he said that the tradition of there being no Good Friday footy will stay for the forseeable future.

Of course, her main concern isn't the working-class footy fans but her own salary and status which comes from writing on football and would be in jeopardy if the popularity of the game falls away.

And there is the blatant hypocrisy of revering the traditions of footy so as not to hurt the game while managing to indulge in muckracking and inneuendo that often does significant harm to the game, with Caro's profile being one of the few beneficiaries.

Originally posted by Lorelei

Maybe an individual board would allow all those who obsess over the man, to do it in a place where we aren't confronted with it constantly.

You just don't get it do you?? That's exactly everybody else's point. They have had a gutsful of being constantly confronted by this biased Collingwood President using what should be a neutral forum of match broadcasting to spout nothing but Collingwood propoganda and bias.

We aren't obsessed with the fat man. He just gives us the sh*ts!! :mad:

Originally posted by macca23
You just don't get it do you?? That's exactly everybody else's point. They have had a gutsful of being constantly confronted by this biased Collingwood President using what should be a neutral forum of match broadcasting to spout nothing but Collingwood propoganda and bias.

Get a life struggler. Seems like youve got the problem.

Eddies going nowhere. Thats his and his employers choice and it they are happy then so be it.

So your only alternative as far as I see it is to seek counselling or just live with it.

Either way give it a break on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find I have to remember this disclaimer more than the one where I reiterate that I don't hate America or Americans when saying my opinions of the US over the last few years.

'I'm not someone who really detests the Pies or Eddie.'

There.

Now I was wondering what thread to post this in but here goes.

The crux of the issue I think is the precedent it sets.

Jackson has said the banner thing was difficult for the AFL to tackle because Eddie decried it as both a club president and commentator - no I'm not saying he literally it twice for both of those hats, just because he is both those things.

Say a club president down the track does something that the football world all look down upon and there's a general consensus that he needs some sort of reprimand - I'm drawing a blank for examples but let's say something quite extravagant. The AFL might not be able to reprimand, because of the precedents set by issues involving Eddie's multiple hats.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=86304 - Jacko said it there.

I'm a bit amused by the banner controversey but I've got no real opinion on it - once again because I'm not that worried about Eddie or on the other side of the coin the salary cap discussion.

Originally posted by macca23

exactly

Originally posted by campbell
He's doing a real fine job of making Qlders hate him. Undermining the AFL up here bigtime.Thugby is rubbing its hands with glee.
At all the column inches?
You are a fool if you think that. They are BLEEDING. ABOSOLUTELY BLEEDING.

Originally posted by bunsen burner
Haven't you noticed that the majority of people who don't have a problem with Eddie calling Collingwood matches happen to be Collingwood supporters? Your opinion is most likely biased and really doesn't hold much sway compared to neutral people.
I kind of doubt that the Ch.9 exec's are Collingwood supporters. I suspect they use Ed for reasons other than Collingwood bias. I could just as easily make baseless claims that most people against Ed calling are non Collingwood fans who by definition are anti Collingwood and therefore biased. You are either for us or against us GWB would say. It's all over simplified and lacking in real analysis. There are a number of claims made about Eddie.

Firstly Ed is a crap caller in the eyes of some people. That puts him with about 3/4 of the callers it seems to me. Most people in these types of forums seem to believe most callers are average at best. That's all fair enough. It's a subjective judgment based on various personal criteria.

Secondly Ed is biased. No argument. Case closed. He isn't the only one just the highest profile one. At the end of the day he can do less to influence the AFL than Collo, Evans etc ever could when at the AFL with their strong club allegiances.

Thirdly, Ed has a big ego. Well yes he does. So do most AFL players and officials. So do most successful people. Leigh Mathews died his hair and KB went for the comb over. That is ego driven vanity and so what. Tell me Ed has a bigger ego than Colles and Smorgan or Sheedy and Pagan. Ed gets to show his off more because his job demands it. He quite likes that but so what? So maybe you don't like that. Fair enough. I don't like white chocolate.

Fourthly, Ed has a COI calling when his team plays. Well I am yet to see how the conflict but works and what possible harm can ever be done. This has been done to death and in a million articles it always comes back to an unease at something unquantifiable and indefinite. He cannot impact the game at all and his impact via comment or replays etc are no different whether Collingwood play or not. He is a caller of what happens not an influencer of will happen on a field.

Fifthly, Ed is a President and therefore should not have a role in the media - or is it anything else football related? That is just impossible to do. Where is the line drawn in employment and where is it drawn in football roles? What sort of people do we want at clubs? Bums with no job or successful people who may actually help their club. In the end if all clubs have quality people all clubs will be better off. We need to attract better people not worse.

In the end there is one simple question to be answered. If Ed stopped calling Collingwood games tomorrow would there be any difference to anything at all except column inches and internet debates? I think not.

Originally posted by MarkT
In the end there is one simple question to be answered. If Ed stopped calling Collingwood games tomorrow would there be any difference to anything at all except column inches and internet debates? I think not.

To help with your question, and to help find an answer, I put this in the equation.........

There are 15 Clubs that do not have the media access that Mr McGuire has, and in the free thinking world, good luck to him, BUT there is a terminolgy called 'over-kill', and not all of us are Collingwood supporters.

Where else do any of the other 15 Clubs get so many media avenues to voice and air their opinion and their grievances?

As a supporter of one of the 15 other Clubs, I am tired of having Collingwoods opinions shoved down my throat when I am just simply trying to watch a game of football.

Mr McGuire has a full-hour show, the footy show, to say what ever he wants, and he does, and I don't watch it because that is my choice. But do I have a choice when I just want to watch a game of football and Collingwood are on the ground and he is in the commentary box?

Mr McGuire was told by the AFL not to have the banner with his preferred saying, so what does he do? He puts it up anyway through TV technology, who else in the other 15 Clubs have that sort of access to the media?

Doesn't anyone else have a problem with the fact that he just waved his contempt in the face of the AFL Commission?

How can anyone say that it is not a conflict of interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Caro awakes from a 12 month slumber

Remove this Banner Ad

Back