Caro awakes from a 12 month slumber

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Lockyer24
anti-Collingwood

...as for anti-Collingwood, I do not agree with this statement.

You need to put yourself in our position, lets say Sheedy has the same access to the TV media and uses every minute he has on a vendetta against Collingwood and what ever he wishes to condemn at whim.

Would you consider it anti-Essendon or anti-Sheedy?

In this instance, I find this post anti-McGuire, on the simple grounds that he has abused his position as a 'so-called' unbiased commentator on Collingwood games.

Originally posted by BrisGirl
There are 15 Clubs that do not have the media access that Mr McGuire has, and in the free thinking world, good luck to him, BUT there is a terminolgy called 'over-kill', and not all of us are Collingwood supporters.
Yep.
Where else do any of the other 15 Clubs get so many media avenues to voice and air their opinion and their grievances?
Well at present they just don’t. That’s life. Get a different president if you are not happy with what yours brings to the table or buy some media time. Maybe try Bert Newton’s show.
As a supporter of one of the 15 other Clubs, I am tired of having Collingwoods opinions shoved down my throat when I am just simply trying to watch a game of football.

Mr McGuire has a full-hour show, the footy show, to say what ever he wants, and he does, and I don't watch it because that is my choice. But do I have a choice when I just want to watch a game of football and Collingwood are on the ground and he is in the commentary box?
Fair enough. I’m tired of Rex Hunt so I don’t listen to him. I’m tired of the crap Ch.10 camera work but I put up with the reduced enjoyment and often I yell at the TV and say “WHY THE F CANT YOU REPLASY THAT PROPERLY.….”

We all have choices. So Ed annoys you! Well that’s too bad. If enough people are annoyed they will force a chance. If not then he’ll be there forever. Ch.9 are running a business and they chose who fronts the telecasts. That is about all there is to it.
Mr McGuire was told by the AFL not to have the banner with his preferred saying, so what does he do? He puts it up anyway through TV technology, who else in the other 15 Clubs have that sort of access to the media?
Oh my:
“EDDIE OUTSMARTS AFL” reads the headline.
Gee that would put him in with a few in the past and no doubt in the future.

No other team has Ed’s access to the media. No other team had access to Joe’s money, Elliot’s lawyers, Collo’s inside AFL knowledge, Ayletts AFL knowledge and contacts, Bond’s TV station, McDonnald’s newspapers or whatever. There is an advantage to having a president or anyone at a club for that matter with a high media profile. I can see that. What I can’t see is why that should not be so.
Doesn't anyone else have a problem with the fact that he just waved his contempt in the face of the AFL Commission?

How can anyone say that it is not a conflict of interest.
Well you have said it but haven’t done any more than complain about things you see as either unfair or annoying. You haven’t stated what the CONFLICT actually is. A COI means that two competing interests cannot be reconciled or at lest cannot be accommodated. Ed has a duty to Ch. 9 and one to Collingwood. His position as president of a club, as with every president, means he has a conflict if the FAL want him to not take the club line. That is why there is a commission. The clubs interests conflict. The clubs want to be number 1 and that means competing.

The AFL fine clubs for being outspoken because they are small minded and gutless and in fact have very little to substantiate much of what they do. Ed’s been fined like may others and he no doubt will again.

...as for anti-Collingwood, I do not agree with this statement.

You need to put yourself in our position, lets say Sheedy has the same access to the TV media and uses every minute he has on a vendetta against Collingwood and what ever he wishes to condemn at whim.

Would you consider it anti-Essendon or anti-Sheedy?

In this instance, I find this post anti-McGuire, on the simple grounds that he has abused his position as a 'so-called' unbiased commentator on Collingwood games.
Firstly Eddie doesn't use every minute against anyone. He uses plenty of the minutes in a very positive manner.

Secondly, if Sheedy was on TV and I didn't like it I wouldn't watch it. If he called games and was biased I'd have to put up with it or not watch. Just like now.

Now you claim Ed has abused his position. For a start that is what his employers will make a call on but anyway what his his position? he is the biased Collingwood president calling footy matches. You know it, I know it, the AFL knows it and Kerry Packer knows it. His bias seems to impact your enjoyment. Well that is fair enough. It is not a conflict because it has no impact on the game or any part of it.

Please do not use the emotive COI claim to mask you dilike for his calling. You are quite entitled to think he is a bad caller in all games or just a biased and unenjoyable caller in Collingwood games. That is no COI it is a qualitative assessment you (and plenty of others) make.

Originally posted by MarkT
I kind of doubt that the Ch.9 exec's are Collingwood supporters. I suspect they use Ed for reasons other than Collingwood bias. I could just as easily make baseless claims that most people against Ed calling are non Collingwood fans who by definition are anti Collingwood and therefore biased. You are either for us or against us GWB would say. It's all over simplified and lacking in real analysis. There are a number of claims made about Eddie.

Huh what? I never mentioned anything about channel 9 execs.

My point was plain and simply that most (if not all) people on this forum who are defending Eddie's conflict of interest happen to be Collingwood supporters. Surely if there wasn't a conflict of interest there would be a few more supporters that follow any one of the other 15 clubs?

I'm sorry but any Collingwood fan who denies that there is a conflict of interest is being biased.

Secondly Ed is biased. No argument. Case closed. He isn't the only one just the highest profile one. At the end of the day he can do less to influence the AFL than Collo, Evans etc ever could when at the AFL with their strong club allegiances.
Collo, Evans etc aren't calling their own team on a Friday night though are they? (that is the point of this thread btw).

And before you come back with crap about Lyon being loyal to Melbourne and Dermott being loyal to Hawthorn etc, they are different cases. The difference is that they are not involved at their respective clubs in the same capacity.

It annoys people when Eddie can't make the hard call on the performes of some of the Collingwood player's poor performances or decison making. I think Eddie owes it to his club, his players, the AFL, and the general public to sit out Collingwood matches. He is being a tool and the only people who can't see it are himself and blind Collingwood supporters.

Please do not use the emotive COI claim to mask you dilike for his calling. You are quite entitled to think he is a bad caller in all games or just a biased and unenjoyable caller in Collingwood games. That is no COI it is a qualitative assessment you (and plenty of others) make.

Could you give me your assessment regarding the matter of Thursday night, when Brisbane kicked the goal that put them in front, and not a sound came out of the commentary box.

Silence.........

They only spoke again when the ball was back in the centre and was being bounced.

Is that lack of quality....or biased to the point that they couldn't say anything encouraging because Collingwood lost the lead?

I saw him using the concessions as ammo for barbs as a means to an end - getting QLD to get interested. The concessions themselves are the means to achieving this end and Eddie knows this.

He in my opinion doesn't worry too much about them - he's smart enough to not call them cheats like his club's supporters do and he's also smart enough to not particularly fight the entire battle in 'public' but also do it behind closed doors.

When he does it in public it's to help out Queensland footy.

Originally posted by hotpie
Dont watch Channel Nine. If there are enough of you (which there aren't) they will replace Eddie when the ratings fall.

What if our team is playing? You expect us to miss watching our side just to protest against McGuire?

Originally posted by Leigh
I saw him using the concessions as ammo for barbs as a means to an end - getting QLD to get interested. The concessions themselves are the means to achieving this end and Eddie knows this.

He in my opinion doesn't worry too much about them - he's smart enough to not call them cheats like his club's supporters do and he's also smart enough to not particularly fight the entire battle in 'public' but also do it behind closed doors.

When he does it in public it's to help out Queensland footy.

If you believe that you are a fool. (or victorian)

Eddie (and others) claim the salary cap extensions arent fair. Therefore any teams success with them is questionable. Therefore Brisbanes two flags are under cloud.

Thats doing the world for AFL in QLD....NOT. And now some of the rugby people are using that line to discredit the lions and swans through the media in queensland and NSW.

Of course he is conflicted, only a fool, an absolute idiot would think otherwise. However at the end of the day who cares if there was silence when Brisbane kicked a goal the other night? Eddie could not manufacture excitement? So what? If I was a Brisbane supporter I would be excited enough without needing Eddie to spur me on.

As long as he gets the names of the players right and ensures that each team gets equal replays of their highlights, then that is all there is to worry about. Form your own passion or hatred for whoever is on the field, if Eddie wants to blab on about the Woods, just blot it out or chuckle at it. That's what I do. He is a run of the mill caller, just plain old meat 'n' potatoes in my opinion. But there have been far worse in the past (and a few at present) so I have no problem in that regard. I want to see my team play so I'll watch and tolerate him.

My choice is stronger with The Footy Show. I gave up complaining about that long ago. I simply don't watch. Funny how quickly you become accustomed to getting by without it.

He's conflicted. Everyone knows it. He knows it too. See it for the joke that it is and pay it the scant attention it deserves. Life is too short.

Originally posted by sandeano

He's conflicted. Everyone knows it. He knows it too. See it for the joke that it is and pay it the scant attention it deserves. Life is too short.

Fair enough too. Way I see it the infamous 'silent goal' of Brisbanes was actually GOOD commentry (intentional or not). You don't need Eddie and co to tell you that the camels back just broke.

Originally posted by Molly Meldrum
Fair enough too. Way I see it the infamous 'silent goal' of Brisbanes was actually GOOD commentry (intentional or not). You don't need Eddie and co to tell you that the camels back just broke.

Exactly. Sometimes silence can be far more descriptive than any amount of words. At that moment, if the Collingwood President is lost for words, then it MUST be a decisive moment in the game.

In a strange way, Eddie is an 'expert commentator' at times, more than just a play-by-play man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course this reply is to grayham

I'm neither thankyou very much :)

The club presidents were joking at the pre-match dinner - Eddie and Lethal are mates.

Eddie said 'it seems as though the AFL weren't the only ones in on the joke' (the banner I mean).

I think it's in this thread I've already declared a position of apathy towards salary cap controversey although I have read some Tiser article about the SA clubs being affected by any more shake-ups - my point is I know hardly anything about the issue and I think I made it clear to Pies fans already that I'm only saying my opinion on Thursday's stuff.

I think the Lions' flags are not under a cloud - they just did smart things on and off the field. Case in point - Brennan. Another fine NT export to you lot down south, in this case Brisbane were the ones savvy enough to see his potential. That's a point - the amount of players who come from the NT that I know of seem to have all passed under the radar of most clubs. Xavier Clarke, Daniel Motlop and Brennan are the three most recent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Caro awakes from a 12 month slumber

Remove this Banner Ad

Back