Carrara crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

<H1 class=headline>Roos charge home in skipper's 250th
Brought to you by Daniel Pace
Saturday, 19th May, 2007 10:09:00 pm
THE KANGAROOS have capped a memorable 250th senior game for skipper Adam Simpson with a 17-point victory over Carlton in a pulsating AFL clash on the Gold Coast.
Roos tyro Shannon Grant booted five goals to spearhead the 22.15 (147) to 20.10 (130) victory - his team's fifth on the trot - in front of 11,649 fans at Carrara.
Lindsay Thomas and Leigh Brown chipped in with three goals each to ensure the 31-year-old Simpson had a night to remember; he was chaired off the ground with a smile on his face.
Carlton trailed by just 11 points at three-quarter time but faded in the final term, while showing glimpses of a comeback, to lose their fifth straight encounter.
The effectiveness of their star forward Brendan Fevola was blunted after the AFL's leading goal-scorer suffered a corked leg late in the second quarter.
He still managed to kick five goals to increase his impressive season tally to 30 although it wasn't enough against the ruthless Kangaroos.
The next best for the Blues were Brad Fisher, Kade Simpson and skipper Lance Whitnall, who all nailed three goals apiece.
Coach Denis Pagan's misery was compounded when Eddie Betts left the field with a lower leg injury.
In a see-sawing encounter the Kangaroos scored three of their four goals in the first quarter through free kicks, with Corey Jones bagging two.
Carlton kicked four consecutive goals in a devastating seven-minute period late in the second quarter to lead 12.6 (78) to 8.10 (58) at the major break.
With Fevola lacking his usual spark, the Kangaroos capitalised in a clinical fashion to kick three straight goals and trail by just one point.
Whitnall stemmed the flow with a goal before a left-foot snap from Roos half-forward Matt Campbell locked the scores at 85-all.
The Roos led 15.14 (104) to 14.9 (93) at three-quarter time and dominated the final term, although the Blues showed patches of good form in an entertaining match.
Brent Harvey controlled the midfield superbly for the Roos, booting three goals and having 32 disposals.
Kangaroos veteran Glenn Archer was a late withdrawal through family reasons while Brad Moran pulled out with a virus.
KANGAROOS 4.5 8.10 15.14 22.15 (147)
CARLTON 5.4 12.6 14.9 20.10 (130)
GOALS
Kangaroos:
S Grant 5 L Thomas 3 L Brown 3 B Harvey 3 C Jones 2 M Campbell 2 A Edwards K Green D Harris D Petrie.
Carlton: B Fevola 5 B Fisher 3 K Simpson 3 L Whitnall 3 M Lappin 2 C Ackland A Bentick E Betts A Koutoufides.
BEST
Kangaroos:
C Jones S Grant L Thomas B Harvey H McIntosh.
Carlton: B Fisher L Whitnall B Fevola K Simpson A Carrazzo.
Umpires: S McLaren C Kamolins S Meredith.
Official crowd: 11,649 at Gold Coast Stadium.
</H1>
11,649, how good is that. Great work for 2 Vic clubs. They would get double that if a club existed on the Gold Coast

</H1>
11,649, how good is that. Great work for 2 Vic clubs. They would get double that if a club existed on the Gold Coast

How would you get double that crowd in a stadium that doesnt hold that many?

How can you get double that if the stadium capacity is around 12,000 ?

Are all of your posts satirical ? Or are you really that stupid ?

Isn't the AFL about to expand the stadium?:rolleyes:

So therefor you could get double that if the stadium held that many people. Just waiting for the AFL to improve the stadium for the new Gold Coast team

No one is suggesting that Aussie Rules is more popular than Rugby League in SE Qld. But is must grate you that two Melbourne based clubs get 11,500 on the Gold Coast.

What would two Sydney Rugby League teams get playing in Geelong? Or in Adelaide. 876?

Aussie Rules might not be the number one sport in Qld, but Aussie Rules has a presence in it's non-heartland areas (NSW and Qld) that Rugby League can only dream about in its non heartland areas.

Do you think 11 Victorians born players will debut in the NRL next year? I ask that because 11 of the 80 drafteees at last years AFL draft were from Queensland.

Rugby League's non-heartland areas have virtually no presence whatsoever.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/hindmarsh_vn.html

No in Adelaide Melbourne played Penrith and got 7,017.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/hindmarsh_vn.html

No in Adelaide Melbourne played Penrith and got 7,017.

Adelaide is twice as big as the Gold Coast.

So, if Adelaide had 500,000 people (like the Gold Coast does) that translates to 3,500.

And that's a one-off game too. The only chance to see the NRL.

The Gold Coast people, in a city half the size, have three chances this year.

AFL are doing..............try before you buy.........type thing.

Get the families in cheap to start with and then in the future the kids ask the parents about going to the footy again......

Like any kind of promotion, free promotion, cheaper price. Same same.

Yep, in marketing terms its called a Loss Leader.

No one is suggesting that Aussie Rules is more popular than Rugby League in SE Qld. But is must grate you that two Melbourne based clubs get 11,500 on the Gold Coast.

What would two Sydney Rugby League teams get playing in Geelong? Or in Adelaide. 876?

Aussie Rules might not be the number one sport in Qld, but Aussie Rules has a presence in it's non-heartland areas (NSW and Qld) that Rugby League can only dream about in its non heartland areas.

Do you think 11 Victorians born players will debut in the NRL next year? I ask that because 11 of the 80 drafteees at last years AFL draft were from Queensland.

Rugby League's non-heartland areas have virtually no presence whatsoever.

Doesn't 'grate' me at all. You wouldn't happen to know how much money the AFL has spent promoting the Kangaroos and the AFL in Sth East QLD in the past few months would you?

As I stated previously, I would like nothing more then for the AFL to spend millions and millions of dollars upgrading Carrara stadium, coupled with the millions of dollars that would be spent on promotion of the new GC club (not to mention the money needed to simply fund the club). The AFL is now (and will continue to) throwing money by the truckload at the GC region. It's not 'my' code's money - it's yours.

Why? One primary reason - the Gold Coast Titans. Whatever 'growing region' rationale the AFL puts 'out there' to the public, they are clearly rattled by the strength of the Titans supporter base, and have been forced into a short-term rush-job of promotion and code-expansion. I am sure the AFL had their eyes on the GC region in the longer term, but I certainly believe that this recent obsession with the GC was not on the 'drawing board' three, four or five years ago. The AFL was clearly 'spooked'.

11,500? - yeah, not bad. 'Par for the course' really. But as we have found out thanks to the information of some posters - there were plenty of cheap 'family themed' ticketing packages available. How many of those punters would have rocked up if tickets were marketed at a 'regular' price?

The point is, we have now had the Kangaroos v Lions match which produced a vague guide as to the popularity of the AFL on the GC due to the appearance of the Brisbane Lions, and now we have the AFL cutting ticket prices for this most recent match. Not exactly a 'tried and true' marker of the popularity of the code up here. Furthermore it's only three matches - can the supporters handle an entire season? What if the GC club's on-field exploits go pear-shaped? Pretty big 'what ifs' IMO.

But hey, as I said - it's not my code's money, so go ahead, shaft the Kangaroos Melbourne supporters all in a desperate effort to get 'ahead' of the NRL. I tend to think the AFL will be paying through the nose for a while yet, and all for what? An extra 10 or 15K to a match? They sure will be burning a lot of much-needed cash for that goal...

Isn't the AFL about to expand the stadium?:rolleyes:

No the AFL is waiting for the chicken to lay an egg. By the way Mickdog, with the Swans slipping out of contention and possibly commencing a 5 year rebuild, look forward to at least 8 years without a second team in Sydney. How do you like them apples?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide is twice as big as the Gold Coast.

So, if Adelaide had 500,000 people (like the Gold Coast does) that translates to 3,500.

And that's a one-off game too. The only chance to see the NRL.

The Gold Coast people, in a city half the size, have three chances this year.

Where did I say I cared? I was simply proving that Adelaide could get more then a couple of hundred people as you were trying to prove.

Doesn't 'grate' me at all. You wouldn't happen to know how much money the AFL has spent promoting the Kangaroos and the AFL in Sth East QLD in the past few months would you?

As I stated previously, I would like nothing more then for the AFL to spend millions and millions of dollars upgrading Carrara stadium, coupled with the millions of dollars that would be spent on promotion of the new GC club (not to mention the money needed to simply fund the club). The AFL is now (and will continue to) throwing money by the truckload at the GC region. It's not 'my' code's money - it's yours.

Why? One primary reason - the Gold Coast Titans. Whatever 'growing region' rationale the AFL puts 'out there' to the public, they are clearly rattled by the strength of the Titans supporter base, and have been forced into a short-term rush-job of promotion and code-expansion. I am sure the AFL had their eyes on the GC region in the longer term, but I certainly believe that this recent obsession with the GC was not on the 'drawing board' three, four or five years ago. The AFL was clearly 'spooked'.

11,500? - yeah, not bad. 'Par for the course' really. But as we have found out thanks to the information of some posters - there were plenty of cheap 'family themed' ticketing packages available. How many of those punters would have rocked up if tickets were marketed at a 'regular' price?

The point is, we have now had the Kangaroos v Lions match which produced a vague guide as to the popularity of the AFL on the GC due to the appearance of the Brisbane Lions, and now we have the AFL cutting ticket prices for this most recent match. Not exactly a 'tried and true' marker of the popularity of the code up here. Furthermore it's only three matches - can the supporters handle an entire season? What if the GC club's on-field exploits go pear-shaped? Pretty big 'what ifs' IMO.

But hey, as I said - it's not my code's money, so go ahead, shaft the Kangaroos Melbourne supporters all in a desperate effort to get 'ahead' of the NRL. I tend to think the AFL will be paying through the nose for a while yet, and all for what? An extra 10 or 15K to a match? They sure will be burning a lot of much-needed cash for that goal...

This cheap ticket information is just crap until some poster comes out with an article about it. Even a photocopy of the cheap ticket etc. There has been a few posters saying that cheap tickets were sent out but not one shred of proof.

No the AFL is waiting for the chicken to lay an egg. By the way Mickdog, with the Swans slipping out of contention and possibly commencing a 5 year rebuild, look forward to at least 8 years without a second team in Sydney. How do you like them apples?

http://www.abc.net.au/goldcoast/stories/s1908496.htm

The AFL have stated plans to improve the stadium. Hopefully the Kangaroos take advantage of moving there with the generous offer the AFL has given them.

Also how has the Swans playing poorly currently got anything to do with a second Sydney team? There will be one here soon. Hopefully very soon.

What's your point? Do you have one?

We all know that Rugby League is more popular in Qld.

We also all know that Aussie Rules has a bigger presence in SE Qld than in any other of it's non-heartland areas. i.e Aussie Rules is bigger in SE Qld than it is in NSW.

But all you seem to have said is that you hope the AFL keep putting money into SE Qld. If you want AFL to fail (it won't fail of course), wouldn't you prefer it if the AFL were not putting money in?

The AFL is by far the richest sporting body in the country. They have money to burn, and a lot of that is used to develop the code, and you only have to look at the AFL's presence in it's non-heartland areas compared to Rugby League's non-heartland areas, to see the fruits of that labour. 11 Qld draftees out of 80 is amazing and somethng I know you are jealous and enivious of. I'd jealous be if I were you.

But thank goodness I'm not you. You'd love it if 11 Victorian made their debuts next year in the NRL but it won't happen. And it irks you that the AFL have 1 out of 8 Queenslanders debuting this year. You think to yourself, "Damn it why can't it happen in the NRL. Damn it!! Why does it happen in the AFL but not the NRL!!!"

The AFL's presence in SE Qld is something you can only fantasize about the NRL having in any of it's development areas.

We also all know that Aussie Rules has a bigger presence in SE Qld than in any other of it's non-heartland areas. i.e Aussie Rules is bigger in SE Qld than it is in NSW.

But all you seem to have said is that you hope the AFL keep putting money into SE Qld. If you want AFL to fail (it won't fail of course), wouldn't you prefer it if the AFL were not putting money in?

The AFL is by far the richest sporting body in the country. They have money to burn, and a lot of that is used to develop the code, and you only have to look at the AFL's presence in it's non-heartland areas compared to Rugby League's non-heartland areas, to see the fruits of that labour. 11 Qld draftees out of 80 is amazing and somethng I know you are jealous and enivious of. I'd jealous be if I were you.

But thank goodness I'm not you. You'd love it if 11 Victorian made their debuts next year in the NRL but it won't happen. And it irks you that the AFL have 1 out of 8 Queenslanders debuting this year. You think to yourself, "Damn it why can't it happen in the NRL. Damn it!! Why does it happen in the AFL but not the NRL!!!"

The AFL's presence in SE Qld is something you can only fantasize about the NRL having in any of it's development areas.

Why make this a cross code argument?

Isn't this more about the AFL promoting its great game Australia wide. Its not about being better then the NRL or any other sport. Its simply about whats good for the game.

This cheap ticket information is just crap until some poster comes out with an article about it. Even a photocopy of the cheap ticket etc. There has been a few posters saying that cheap tickets were sent out but not one shred of proof.
So let me get this straight: You are adamant that the stories of cheap tickets to the GC match are 'crap' until someone provides you with the necessary 'proof' - yet only a week ago you seemingly had no problem spinning the yarn about the hoardes of free tickets that a certain Rugby League club in Brisbane regularly distributes. You didn't provide anybody else with the 'proof' of your claims - yet now you demand that others provide evidence to back their claims. Clear double standards.

But thank goodness I'm not you. You'd love it if 11 Victorian made their debuts next year in the NRL but it won't happen. And it irks you that the AFL have 1 out of 8 Queenslanders debuting this year. You think to yourself, &quot;Damn it why can't it happen in the NRL. Damn it!! Why does it happen in the AFL but not the NRL!!!&quot;

Could not have said it better myself....

So let me get this straight: You are adamant that the stories of cheap tickets to the GC match are 'crap' until someone provides you with the necessary 'proof' - yet only a week ago you seemingly had no problem spinning the yarn about the hoardes of free tickets that a certain Rugby League club in Brisbane regularly distributes. You didn't provide anybody else with the 'proof' of your claims - yet now you demand that others provide evidence to back their claims. Clear double standards.

That is a fair statement. So I will find some proof if you wish, although i'm sure you already know of this. I'm getting you some proof. Be back to you shortly.

Still you obviously can not find proof or else you wouldn't have tried to side step the original question. What proof do you have of cheap tickets to the Kangas game this weekend.

Denial Board.

I think it is a shame that we have to even have this argument re other codes and footy.

Rugby League and Union are standing in the way of making the Australian code the big game it should be as how American Football is for Americans.

It is a shame that there are so many people out there like Le Kook who despise the Australian game when in actual fact if we were following the American model we wouldn't even need to discuss this.

Imagine Americans from Arkansas and Illinois being completely different to other states and saying...naah... we don't like American Football we like Rugby Union or League. It is just crazy la-la land stuff.

If you are Australian and you follow a football code you should at least have some modicum of interest in the Australian game...yet there are people out there like Le Kook who actively dislike "Aerial ping pong".

On another matter - people shouldn't fall into the trap of saying NSW is a "Rugby League state" - that is an insult to the Riverina district of NSW.

A good portion of country NSW is Australian Football heartland and some of the footy clubs from Southern NSW are older than any Rugby team.

eg - Albury Tigers and some from around Wagga.

Remove this Banner Ad

Carrara crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back