Podcast Cat Attack Podcast 2024 - Kingy and Benny are back in 24 for K ROCK Football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets keep this thread to questions for the boys rather than discussion posts please

GO Catters

Last edited:
Hi all,

We know you have questions.

But do we have answers?

Cat Attack Podcast recording Thursday pm
G'day Boys
Got a few questions...

1... im 99% sure you will discuss this question before you answer questions . But honestly what more can Hardie and Mannagh do to get a game. Mannagh shouldn't of got dropped to start with. I'd bring him in to replace Gary Rohan.
Hardie has done everything possible to get a game.

2 Blitz.... been bloody good for us for many years and can play many roles... But him playing in the midfield this year hasn't worked.. when his played his best football this year is in the ruck... but him playing in the midfield, it's been below par to his standards. Do you think its time to maybe push him into defence and still play as the 2nd ruck, plus that frees up a position in the midfield, to give guys like Hardie,Knevitt, Mannagh a chance.

3 Neale....., we have to keep giving this guy games. But how do we do this? We have to give him many of games but then not hurt our structure of maybe not being to tall with playing Hawkins, Cameron and Hawkins?

Hi all,

But do we have answers?

So how do you think the match committee are going to work through the older players Rohan, Tuohy, Guthrie and even Blitz in terms of how many games we give them to prove they are still part of our best 23. Not on reputation but form.

We will still be in finals race I suspect all year so focus will remain on 2024 rather than the future - but I am not sure all of those in the team give us the best chance of winning in 2024 let alone building for the future.

Hi all,

But do we have answers?

Interesting to see it was like another "whispers in the sky" affair with the umps Thursday night. Didn't affect the result though.
Do you think teams have figured out the weakness in our game plan? For me, I don't like the reliance on getting the ball from turnovers rather than getting our own clearance. Sure it will work against lower opponents but against an elite midfield it's bold to rely on them missing targets.
And as we have seen the last few weeks, if we are slightly off or down our top players we can't apply the pressure and they run free from the clearance to pinpoint forwards.
Interesting that against Port, Blitz going into the ruck after Stanley was subbed allowed us to win our own clearance. Was just a temporary fix, don't think we can rely on that very often.

PS, Mooney is a great fit for comments when Neeld is unavailable. I bet Kingy was sweating though, Mooney has the potential to be as loose as Benny!

Hi all,

But do we have answers?

Probably wanna move in quickly from the Darwin disaster. It was raining goals but I thought kolo continued his good form, jack Henry and cam Guthrie need a rest and a cuddle.
No doubt when the tackling and pressure drops particularly from midfield. , we are in dire straights mark knoffler style. Also fox footy had a stat, we gave up 13 goals for from 30m out, we normally give up 5. SDK late out upset the Ballance down back
Surely it’s time to look at Hardie. 2 goals 27 touches 6 clearances. Also I think we need to target a gun mid thru trade. Against the likes of Rowell miller Anderson Ned Flanders, we weren’t up to it. Clarke and bruhn is the beginning but they need a couple more. A 23-26 year old prime mover be handy. Blitz 33, Duncan 32 next month, Guthrie 32 in August, Dangerfield 34 so we need to replenish. Other option is targeting out of contract mids, such as a peatling from giants or bins from Carlton who dominate vfl but afl side has a stacked midfield

Hi all,

But do we have answers?

G'day lads, struggling to verbalise the internal screaming.

What do we need to sacrifice to the gods for a decent midfield? My kingdom for Bailey Smith please.

Just don't tell the dogs I'm not a king

the most exciting thing by a long margin last Thursday morning was waking up in time to catch all of the quiz and boy did it go downhill from there.

You'd want to call mulligan and tee up another one except that in reality now that's 3 in a row in the drink and its getting a bit more serious.

MF getting belted and whilst the calls for Mannagh and Hardie to get a run are fair and reasonable - do we really think they'd make a big difference?

How much of this loss was just a really bad night where we were 15% off our best ( when 5% can get you belted) or is it more of an undercurrent of issues that are now all coming together at once?

And how many Rd1 picks wil it take to pry Harley Reid outta WC? Current bidding is 4 x Rd 1 IMO.

Ps - Tomma 356 this week - massive achievement.

GO Catters

G'day fellas,
Since most things have been discussed I will throw this out there. Retire Danger,Hawkins, Stanley and Thouy then offer Harley Reid (Geelong supporter from childhood) $1.5 million per year on a four year deal. We could only hope, but the soft underbelly of the current midfield has been exposed badly.

Jack Bowes - what’s his strength or his weapon? I don’t see what value he brings to the team or how he is in our best 23 (especially with a fit Guthrie, a fit Dangerfield and someone like Hardie banging down the door). Do the coaches see something the fans don’t? Or is there an element of pursuing him/persisting with him just because we got pick 7 as a freebie in the trade?

Also - do others struggle to get phone reception to stream K rock live at GMHBA, or is it just me? Can never seem to connect to the free wifi they advertise either and end up missing out on the call which works fine at other venues.

Cheers boys love your work.

Gents.. 1 Question and 1 Statement

Question
I want you both to answer the following question.. You to Kingy..
I agree with you both I regarding what position we will finish on the ladder..
Start of the year I was all in trying to land Bailey Smith for the year 2025. But should we really go after him now? I personally can't see us being contenders in the next 3-4 years. Instead of bringing him in and probably have to give up our 1st round pick and also our 2nd pick. Should we just go to the draft for the coming years and pick the best kids to fill our team needs...
As Matthew Lloyd mentioned last week..
I personally starting to agree with Lloyd on this.
But if we can pick up a UFA or a RFA, which would cost us nothing, id be happy with that!

2 Statement
I know 100% you will discuss this before questions . I'm sure Sportsbet will be already cashing on this..
We bloody better be playing Mannagh and Hardie this week
WHAT THE F%CK MORE CAN THEY BOTH DO TO PUT THERE HAND UP! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH... THE ONLY WAY HARDIE CAN SHOW WHAT HE CAN DO IS TO GIVE HIM A BLOODY GAME!!!
HE BLOODY AT LEAST DESERVE A GAME!

Cheers FoxDog50 🫣😊

Hi all,

But do we have answers?

Lost by under a goal. Big part of that at selection. Cannot play so many talls. Smashed in middle v suns but dropped our statistically 2nd best clearance player in parfit.
Couldn’t have kicked inside 50 worse in final qtr when we had 24 inside 50s for 2 goals.
If Mitch Hardie isn’t selected this week he way as well walk back to Adelaide. He’s not Gary Ablett but surely he offers something different. I mentioned peatling last week from giants, he led game for centre clearances.
Something not right when Conway led tackles when subbed off. Surely we contest Clark suspension, what a joke.
Suns aside, we’ve lost 3 games by a total of 18 points to 3 top 6 contenders. But it shows we need everything going right to be anywhere near it, and I’m not sure that’ll happen. Conway beaten by Briggs and Stratton but at least he continues to learn and try

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Boys...
FoxDog50 again ( sorry 😆)
Umpiring, is the worst iv ever seen it...
But this can be fixed by doing a few things..

1- We only need 3 umpires, not 4... 4 is way to crowded and makes to many umpires to try calling to many decisions..

2- Stop With these stupid rules.
In nomination of ruck.. This Stand rule. This stupid deliberately out of bounds rule, when it's kick 40 meters into attack then bounces wrong..

We need less of these silly rules, less rules means less discussions they need to think off so we can bring it back to basics , so there is less rules they have to remember... the more rules there is the more of the umpires have to think of..

Good evening!

Things not going great.

Feel free to fire away for a Thursday PM recording.
Something I have noticed in the last few weeks is that our players seem to lack composure. Normally I would be OK if there is significant pressure from the opposition, but it feels like this has occurred even without pressure. Think of the number of goals blown in 3 v 2 etc scenarios or the kicks to opponent from half back.
I think it has been Benny (my memory on who isn't the best) who has referred to our players as being panicky a few times in each of the last few games.
Do you agree that this is the case? And if so, what do you think may be the cause for this all of a sudden?
We were very composed earlier in the season.

Morning Boys.

I think we all know where we're at - if 2023 was the hangover year, 2024 is the start of our transition. Gonna be an interesting few years as we lose players, and the older boys start to influence less & less.

The obvious is that we need a quality, seasoned, inside-mid bull to help through this transition.

Don't think this will be Hardie, Cat's fans love to jump on these solid VFL sloggers and insist they're the second coming (i.e. Chooka Constable, Cooper Stephens). Big step up from VFL consistent to AFL star.

So, who's on the market that we can poach this off-season, in that magic 23-27yo range? Been rumblings Wines would be open, based on being a fringe at Port.

Cheers.

Hi all,

I was thinking today, how are we feeling about Cameron Guthrie's 4 year deal given to him in 2021?

I do recall at the time Benny was suggesting we should have traded him and got ourselves some decent picks or a player and at the time I agreed. But then we win the flag in 22 and Guthrie was an important part of that.

On the flip side he hasn't been able to get on the park in 23 and now looks the same in 24. I guess we call the deal a win because of the flag, but it could've been a bit of a rubbish deal if we didn't. But if he doesn't get back to full fitness this year or god forbid next, I think some eyebrows might be raised again.

Prob missed the boat here..

4 losses in a row - first time since 2006…..
Such an incredible achievement.

I know Hardie and Mannagh are unlikely to be difference makers but intent and desperation are real motivators.. surely at least one can get a run this week with Blitz and Bruhn both enforced outs.

Do we booked our era with large wins over (rd 6 2007) Richmond or is there more to come?

Go Catters

Hi, not sure if this is within the scope of the podcast but maybe you fellas can get some answers from the club regarding what happened with ticketing for the Richmond game?

The club designated the game as a "fully ticketed" match, but only 31,000 in the stadium on the night out of 40,000. I can understand some reserve seat holders might not turn up but that doesn't account for nearly 10,000 less than capacity.

For a bit of context: I spoke to the club on Tuesday (last week) and they told me they had held back standing room tickets until Thursday (which means the game is not fully ticketed), as a result the standing section in the Selwood stand didnt fill up on Saturday night. Due to the fully ticketed designation, they also directed people to purchase a seat, even if they were members, which were priced anywhere from $10-$69 and is obviously ontop of their membership, to get into the ground. I suspect that members being asked to pay for a ticket wouldve meant some people stayed away.

Compare the above to what the club did for the Round 1 St Kilda game (free member upgrades once the game was designated as fully ticketed), it's hard to think that this wasn't just a cash grab by the club at the expense of the members. As in, the "fully ticketed" designation was not an actual reflection of the expected crowd, but rather a means to pressure people to buy a ticket early for the additional cost, even though it wasn't necessary...

Hi all!

Fire away for a Thursday recording (this will be our last podcast until before the Round 15 clash with Carlton).

Cheers

Kingy
Hi guys,

Got an x files question for you. We've subbed a tall or a marking target 3 times (Stanley/Conway/Henry) and all 3 of those times the time of substitution marked the start of a comeback. Mulder thinks there's a connection and we're playing too tall but Sculley says it's just 3 random data points. Is the truth out there?

Obviously we were a shambles under Richmond's pressure early, but David King on first crack gave the Tigers no credit saying their over commitment to attacking the ball carrier cost them on turnover. Seemed to be implying their game style was a hiding to nothing. You can usually assume the Fox Kingy is just badly using champion data, but is he?

Gary "Chuckie" Rohan. Some have short memories of his pressure game creating turnovers 2nd or 3rd possession down the chain, but CatToTheFuture remembers. How much has his injury hurt our intercepting players leading to both scores against and losing us opportunity to counter attack when opposition is out of position?

Do you think Sydney will take us seriously or will they look to rest players to get a double break into them over the bye?

Last edited:
Gday boys, wondering where to go with our midfelid. It’s a glaringly obvious deficiency in our makeup.
Do we wait for the young blokes to develop together whilst adding from the draft and F/A? Or do we pay up and pinch a star mid from somewhere?

Some young bucks and some aging old bulls but nothing in between.

I’d love the Cats to have a crack a few mids in the off-season. Here’s a few, in no particular order, Ive thought could add something to the team.

LDU
Clayton Oliver
Archie Perkins
Jarrod Berry
Rhylee West

Also, with a variety of really well educated and knowledgeable Cats fans on big footy, would you consider having a guest on the Pod every couple of weeks?
Howler41 would be a great start if available.

Hey fellas. Interested in your take on Bowes' game. To my eye, he was an important catalyst for us in the third (10 disposals, three clearances and a goal). He finished with an equal team-high 29 disposals, 11 inside 50s and nine clearances - and when playing like that is giving us something we're sorely missing. Benny in particular has (very reasonably) expressed uncertainty about him in the past. It's only one game but does a showing like that give you any hope for his future prospects?

Hey guys…where are you both now with Dempsey.

You seemed slow to join the bandwagon (“missing in action” I believe was one characteristic you thought he had!). It seems he might have moved from a promising youngster to an important player?

More than just flashy type? Has been in the best “Telstra trackers” every single week (for high speed) and most weeks for total km. Massively important in plugging defensive holes.

Every time I think he will be managed he seems to have a game to remind us that he is important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back