Autopsy Cats def Dogs 104-81

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives:
Dale, one of his best games for us I thought
Wallis, ripping return
Jong, each week he's looking more and more like the explosive, dangerous player some think he could be
Wood, almost back to his best. needs to be a bit quicker with decision making though.
Cloke in the ruck, got him into the game somewhat.
Boyd up forward, was good in the ruck too but can't wait to have Rough back to free him up to be a target up forward more. Gave us some structure up there.

Neutral observations:
Webb, needs to get more of it but good deliver
Hunter, just not getting involved as much as last year
Getting some high pressure game time into the younger players

Negatives:
Cloke up forward, hardly presented, wasn't working hard enough
Picken, badly out of form now
Suckling, only did two good things for the game, pretty soft and not involved enough to offset his deficiencies

Another way of looking at it is, we've lost 4 games by an av of 12 points. 3 interstate and 1 in Geelong. 2 of the interstate are probably going to make top 4 and we just never seem to beat Geelong. This is despite the fact that we haven't had a settled side all year with injuries. We're probably tracking to the bottom half of the 8 at this stage which worked out well last year and still have the opportunity to be 6-4 if we're good enough.
You also forgot to mention 4 of our 5 wins are against the bottom 4 sides!

A few general thoughts:

Negative:
Adams can't play under finals like pressure. Too prone to brain fades close to goal. Panics and fumbles whenever the heat is on. Which is to much of a liability in big games not to mention finals! He needs to fix this (if it's even fixable) or else he needs to go.

Cloke's 50 was such a Collingwood thing to do. Not a bulldog. He needs to do more to be given a spot in this side.

Williams had some shocker moments in the last however I still maintain that he's going to be a super player. Only 10 games in and it was the first time I've seen him really crack under pressure at any level, so you can forgive him for that.

Positive:

Wallis! What can you say? Slotted straight back in beautifully. Has always been a great shot at goal, is hard and can rack it up. Welcome back.

Dale was exceptional. I've never been a huge fan but he really showed tonight every time he got the ball that he was composed and up to it. Can officially now say, this kid is going to be a very good AFL player.

Boyd played a massive game. And what do you know, finally hit the scoreboard and took some marks inside 50 once he had some actual tall support around him.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not feeling the Cloke hate. Thought he rucked well and we could have had Josh Kennedy and Franklin up forward in the second quarter it wouldn't have mattered.

Silly of Cloke to give away the 50 but the freekick should have been his. Selwood was pinged. Infact he was pinged more than once in the last and yet they gave a free against Murph and he kicked the ******* ball.
Selwood has his own set of rules sadly. He gives me the absolute shits....

Not feeling the Cloke hate. Thought he rucked well and we could have had Josh Kennedy and Franklin up forward in the second quarter it wouldn't have mattered.
Josh Kennedy and Lance Franklin have ways of getting themselves into the game when the balls not going into the forward line. Did you see Kennedy last week? His contested marking at centre-half back was huge.

Cloke cannot take a contested mark at any part of the ground. He just gets beaten every time.

Am I the only one who didn't mind Williams' game? Thought he showed a lot of composure with ball in hand and was very evasive, a couple of times we were completely flat footed and he got us moving forward quickly. Disposal wasn't great but in such a high intensity game with a slippery ball, not unusual for a guy who has played <10 games.

I love the way Williams backs himself and stays composed. He'd rather get tackled with the footy than make a bad decision.

He's not quite fit and strong enough yet, but we should be encouraging him to keep taking the game on.

Oh, and I've supported him, but suckling was awful tonite.

Agreed. Williams had good moments.

With you on Suckling as well fronk. Usually like what he brings to the table but that was badddd.

No...we are apparently shit and disgusting. This board gets more and more like the Richmond board with every passing week. I can't be bothered any more - time to do something more productive and enjoyable with my time. The negativity is destroying my enjoyment of the footy.
Tend to agree. The team is playing about 65-70% and has pushed GwS, WC and GEE to the line without a ruck man.
We need to start winning but the sky has not completely fallen down
People are too alarmist in modern times, it's all peachy or catastrophe!

Wallis and Boyd the positives. Wallis was huge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who didn't mind Williams' game? Thought he showed a lot of composure with ball in hand and was very evasive, a couple of times we were completely flat footed and he got us moving forward quickly. Disposal wasn't great but in such a high intensity game with a slippery ball, not unusual for a guy who has played <10 games.

Agree. He is getting himself in those positions to get the ball which is a lot more that can be said about some other players.

He will execute better with experience and we'll have a player

Picken and Smith both played as small forwards. Both were ineffectual this game. 12 kicks between the two of them. Smith went at 46% efficiency. Picken went at 60% despite having 16 handballs which normally go at 80+%. Both were pretty terrible playing a similar position.

Why were they effective as small forwards last year? Because when opposition teams flooded our attack, their ground ball, work in congestion and forward pressure was good.

However neither are tall, natural forward or quick.

I lost count of the amount of times Smith got spoiled attempting to mark because he's giving up 10cm on the defender, but without being quick doesn't have pace to get separation. Too many times we were moving the ball off half back to see the only option up the ground was a Smith with a defender super glued to him and having to take that as the only option.

We simply don't have any natural crumbing forwards in the reserves, but at what point do we think that we need to get different smaller players around our key forwards? Do we push Jong to a greater forward role in the absence of anyone else? Do we blood Lipinski or Greene as soon as they recover from injury? As ridiculous as it sounds, do we play JJ as a small forward?

I don't know what we can do but we're not winning a flag with Smith and Picken as our two small forwards. We need at least one of, pace or marking height, to replace them.

Is it just me or does clay have a freakin shit tank. Great player but always loses the chase or just gives up. Doesn't even have a big frame

I love Adams and think he will be a gun for us but wow, What was he thinking in the last when he got caught. Kinda cost us the game.

Dickson was ok but clearly needed the run. Smith while he got some goals just looks so slow. Id be tempted to play Maclean.
Lol, one single moment did not cost us the game.

Geelong were better than us for longer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Cats def Dogs 104-81

Remove this Banner Ad

Back