Lobb shines as Dogs thrash Cats at pork barrel stadium 95-48

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see fringe players like Poulter and Bramble solidify their spots.

Bramble especially I thought was on shaky ground earlier in the season but he has become a lot more consistent, or raised his floor a little by cutting out some errors in his game. Clear best 22 now which is great.

I thought McNeil was pretty decent too. Might be a bit early to call, but I reckon there's a chance he's gone past VDM who is still having complete brain fades regularly.

We're pretty close to our best 22 now. Maybe just Khamis for Jones and VDM for Garcia/Harmes and I think that's it.

Bramble especially I thought was on shaky ground earlier in the season but he has become a lot more consistent, or raised his floor a little by cutting out some errors in his game. Clear best 22 now which is great.

I thought McNeil was pretty decent too. Might be a bit early to call, but I reckon there's a chance he's gone past VDM who is still having complete brain fades regularly.

We're pretty close to our best 22 now. Maybe just Khamis for Jones and VDM for Garcia/Harmes and I think that's it.

I’d play Jones in place of Coffield and keep khamis and Garcia and harmes over vdm and McNeil.

I’m far from convinced on Poulter. I thought we had 20, 21 good to great players last night, but Poulter not one of those for me. Little mistakes I saw often, that would be magnified if not for 20-21 players really contributing. You can be carried through these games, and if we kicked straight it could have been a 15 goal thrashing? For me Coffield, McNeill and VDM have all got upgrades in the VFL or injury list. You could add Sanders there too? We should always be looking to improve. Harmes, L Jones, Garcia, even JJ? Baz??? To strengthen team.

I’d play Jones in place of Coffield and keep khamis and Garcia and harmes over vdm and McNeil.
Fair enough.

I like Coffield's versatility, and I think still is getting better post-injury.

Khamis has been good last two weeks but not sure if it's a flash in the pan type thing

Bramble has been important too and is improving his impact and consistency as the season progresses.
He's been a revelation. However, he was always earmarked to be playing the role that he currently has and like Richards was named in defence for round 1 this year. Bringing Freijah into the starting 22 is what freed up Richards and ultimately our midfield rotation.

Beveridge and Richards are getting a lot of praise in the football media for making the switch, but this wouldn't have happened if Beveridge didn't have as much faith as he has in a first year player to allow this piece to fall into place so seamlessly.

It's something that tends to get a little lost when the commentators talk about Richard's' move.

Last edited:
Jones is still a required player IMO although I think Keath’s days are done if Lobb locks down a spot, and does it well
1000000%, was more getting at the common theme in the entire footy world was if Jones goes down we are absolutely finished. Now the Port game is an outlier, the entire team was a disgrace but the past few weeks have been the most pleasant surprise.

Out of interest, how was Treloar's goal in the 3rd not incorrect disposal? The one he dropped right before he kicked it. I haven't seen anyone else say it should have been so I obviously misunderstand the rule.

Pretty sure it’d only be incorrect disposal if an oppo had touch on him. Like if you get tackled while trying to bounce it.

Out of interest, how was Treloar's goal in the 3rd not incorrect disposal? The one he dropped right before he kicked it. I haven't seen anyone else say it should have been so I obviously misunderstand the rule.
He didn't dispose of the ball - think of it a bit like taking a bounce - it wasn't in his hands but he was in control of the ball and didn't dispose of it until he kicked it. Play on was the correct call.

Great decision by Treloar to not complete the first kick and to let the ball bounce, collect and then kick truly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the best part. Two great wins a row without Bont and Libba carrying us.

no tackle or an attempt at a tackle was made. play on

I guess hes technically just having a bounce...noone was near him

He didn't dispose of the ball - think of it a bit like taking a bounce - it wasn't in his hands but he was in control of the ball and didn't dispose of it until he kicked it. Play on was the correct call.

Great decision by Treloar to not complete the first kick and to let the ball bounce, collect and then kick truly.
What if the ball had bounced twice before he regained it? Different story then?

What do we do when Jones comes back?

For team balance, unfortunately Buku is the one who may have to make room.
I'm not sure about that. Jones, Lobb, and Buku can all intercept mark with reasonable mobility and skill.

It will be down to JOD v Buku

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What if the ball had bounced twice before he regained it? Different story then?
If you try to bounce the ball and it skids along the ground (in a wet game, for instance) and you pick it up, it's not an incorrect disposal.

When the Bont paddles the ball in front of him he is in control of it and it's not incorrect disposal. If he is tackled while paddling it along he would be pinged for holding the ball.

The bottom line is Treloar was still in control of the ball and could be tackled but not pinged for incorrect disposal because he didn't dispose of the ball until he kicked it. Unconventional....but not illegal.

I'm not sure about that. Jones, Lobb, and Buku can all intercept mark with reasonable mobility and skill.

It will be down to JOD v Buku

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. 3 weeks ago I woukd have said JOD over buku easily, after the last 2 weeks I'd pick buku at the moment. Have to reward form.

Agree. 3 weeks ago I woukd have said JOD over buku easily, after the last 2 weeks I'd pick buku at the moment. Have to reward form.
JOD was struggling a bit as well tbf prior to the injury

Buku has turned it around

1 game off third place with superior % in a massively compromised competition with an inequitable draw.

The next 2 weeks will tell the story.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope we make it I really do. It's a bit early to be singing kumbaya about Bevo's year yet though.

The issues around selection and structure are still there.

He's pulled off some great moves too like Richards as a midfielder and Lobb as a backman which a 'normal' coach probably wouldn't have made.

Still plenty of the year to play out. That being said we're looking pretty good.

I don't expect Scott to give any credit to Bevo, but the insufferable campaigner can't even admit they were outplayed onfield.

Hopefully his car has a flat battery and he's stuck at that hole overnight. (Not what I'd actually like to post, obviously! 😉)
He wouldnt/couldn't even call them by name, he just referred to the Dogs as 'The opposition'...🤨

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Lobb shines as Dogs thrash Cats at pork barrel stadium 95-48

Remove this Banner Ad

Back