Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Incredi-boy

images

Last edited:

Men that have jobs in footy media for no other reason than they are product friendly:

Matthew Richardson
Luke Darcy
Cameron Ling
Bob Murphy

Women that do/have jobs in footy media for no other reason than they are women:

Every single one of them with the exception of Emma Quayle.

Its even more shocking if you watch any American sports
The contrast in professionalism and knowledge of NBA callers compared to these hacks is immense

Yeah knowledge is the big thing. How much do these commentators actually watch and know? If you are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, surely the least you can do is sit through the 9 games each weekend.

Yesterday, I listened to Danny Frawley legitimately claim that Pendles would go to Merrett to try and shut him out of the game, because he has been tagging in recent weeks.

Pendles plays one accountable game on Cripps (he is the only physically suitable guy we have to do that) and suddenly he is a run with player. Not only that, he can shut down a short, quick player. Absolute lemmings in that industry, trot out the trendy line of the day.

Are you serious? Bruce is terrible. Worst of the lot actually. Often his commentary has homoerotic undertones (ie. delicious, you'd love to be tackled by him etc.), which is completely unnecessary and has me constantly cringing during his games.

He has this reputation as a legendary sports commentator, which I have never understood either. If you're going to be considered one of the greats, you need to have a few tricks outside of asking the same rhetorical questions repeatably throughout a match (ie. you would give him a chance from here, wouldn’t you?).

He’s a complete amateur for mine.
Bruce knows his stuff. He is the best on stats and info on players. BT and others are continually wrong calling players. I understand your gripes but at least he is prepared.

Brayshaw must cackle himself to sleep at night now that he's found the secret entrance back into the cricket commentary box...

We might not have these commentators just for footy season anymore...still trying to get my head around BT screaming "wowee" over classic catches...

Men that have jobs in footy media for no other reason than they are product friendly:

Matthew Richardson
Luke Darcy
Cameron Ling
Bob Murphy

I don’t understand this incredibly sexist point.
It used to be that women only got jobs becuase they were “sleeping with the boss” now it seems to be “political correctness” or “token female”. At what point do you start believing women actually deserve their jobs? And why can a woman not commentate or be involved in football? They’ve been enjoying it as long as you have. They know just as much (if not more) about it. They can usually string an articulate sentence together and avoid the cliche boys club banter.
I don’t understand the problem.

At what point do you start believing women actually deserve their jobs?

People deserve jobs when they exhibit the requisite ability.

And why can a woman not commentate or be involved in football?

I would give Emma Quayle a job over 99% of the males in the industry.

They’ve been enjoying it as long as you have. They know just as much (if not more) about it. They can usually string an articulate sentence together and avoid the cliche boys club banter. I don’t understand the problem.

You are inadvertently reinforcing my point with your gender politicking.

Matthew Richardson
Luke Darcy
Cameron Ling
Bob Murphy

What a load of horseshit. 99% of the men have only got their jobs because they used to kick a bit of leather around an oval. Not because of their journalistic prowess, or their ability to understand the strategy of the game, or for that matter... call it. The same is now happening for the females. There are female callers now (generally boundary riders or colour commentators - I can't recall one in the main box as yet) thanks to the producers finally understanding that there are female viewers who might relate more to a female commentator. It's called understanding your viewer profile. There are a few females within fox footy now that I don't mind listening too... On the Mark, with Sarah Jones, Kelli Underwood, Neroli Meadows isn't too bad either. Daisy is a high profile player within the AFLW, but she's possibly not the best choice in terms of commentary. I would think Erin Phillips would make a pretty good commentator as she has a really deep understanding of the game, and she's pretty articulate.

People deserve jobs when they exhibit the requisite ability.
I’m missing how then Emma Quayle is the only deserving female of a job in the AFL.

Caroline Wilson
Sam Lane
Neroli Meadows
Sarah Jones
Peta Searle
Peggy O’neal
Chyloe Kurdas
Daisy Pearce
Tiffany Cherry
Belinda Mellen

Plus many more women somehow don’t deserve their jobs?
What don’t these women have that only Emma Quayle has?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m missing how then Emma Quayle is the only deserving female of a job in the AFL.

Caroline Wilson
Sam Lane
Neroli Meadows
Sarah Jones
Peta Searle
Peggy O’neal
Chyloe Kurdas
Daisy Pearce
Tiffany Cherry
Belinda Mellen

Plus many more women somehow don’t deserve their jobs?

Re: The media people. No.

They are basically gossip columnists or women cloning generic male tv sports presenter traits.

What don’t these women have that only Emma Quayle has?

A worthy analytical understanding of the game.

Last edited:
reading these posts, is it any wonder that C7 has no idea. Everyones opinion is vastly different, there seem to be as many like eddie as hate him, same for Bruce. The only one that has universal hatred seems to be Basil and Hamish. Maybe we can just get them fired and leave it at that, maybe Darce too.

I don't know why footballers get a free pass to the media just because they used to be good at footy. They don't employ ex-jockeys to call racing, just because they could ride well. They get professionals. Seems AFL is unique in that regard.

He couldn't work out why Grundy got paid a mark earlier.

BT awkwardly quietly says “think it was...man in front, ah Leigh”.

Clear as day man in front, you`d think a bloke like Matthews could work that out!
Gave me a cackle too.

Lethal is going a little senile I reckon.

Matthew Richardson
Luke Darcy
Cameron Ling
Bob Murphy

The women on fox footy are great. Soooooooooooooooooo much better and insightful than;

Brian Taylor
Luke Darcy
Cameron Ling
Basil
Hamish
Derrrwayne russel

The women on fox footy are great. Soooooooooooooooooo much better and insightful than;

Brian Taylor
Luke Darcy
Cameron Ling
Basil
Hamish
Derrrwayne russel

They might be better to look at but they are pretty much as generic as that lot.

So we've had BT call a Dogs player Stringer, with Bruce and BT talking about sex appeal. This match isn't going to be great to watch, the commentary won't be much better.
Yep, spot on. Luckily the game was so bad the commentary couldn’t ruin it

Yep, spot on. Luckily the game was so bad the commentary couldn’t ruin it
"Luckily the car accident killed him so the brain tumour is no longer an issue."

Remove this Banner Ad

Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back