Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

You need to stop listening to the victorian media because west coast have rarely prioritised west australian talent, go back and look at our first round picks over the years. Nobody tipped Warner to be as good as he's become including Sydney who picked Stephens and Gould ahead of him in the same draft. We unfortunately didn't have the chance to take him as we traded our picks away that season for Tim Kelly which in hindsight hasn't quite worked out the way we would've liked but was an understandable decision the year after winning a flag.
And we took Serong & Young before matching a bid on henry way before expected. There was absolutely nothing left to pick him with in then end.

I just did a very quick look at West Coast's current list and you seem to have at least 20 players on your list from WA. Nothing wrong with that, but it definitely implies West Coast prioritises drafting from Western Australia.
Since 2013 we've taken 3 West Australian and 5 victorian first round picks, they pick best available first and foremost and later in the draft if talent between 2 players is perceived as more or less even they pick the home grown talent, just as most other clubs do. Certainly no outright WA bias as Jon Ralph, Tom Morris or Sam Mcclure would have you believe.

Either way, Chad wasn't available to us as we'd just won a flag and traded our picks for a guy who just finished top 5 in the brownlow, unfortunately the rest of the midfield were plagued with injury as soon as he arrived so we never got to see it at full flight. Failing to pick him wasn't some clear as day massive oversight or Sydney would've taken him with one of their first 2 picks they used on duds instead.

Fremantle and West Coast both prioritise Western Australian talent if they can. I still can't quite believe they both missed Warner.

This shit again

I can’t believe you picked Stephens over young AND serong….
But mostly …
I can’t believe Sydney picked 3*times before selecting Warner themselves,
yet here we are

*Btw how many of those players still on your list?

Shai Bolton is like Des Headland, looks good in a premiership team but actually an average player. That's why he went pick 29 in a weak draft. He is already 26 and declining in output, a new team would potentially get 140 games of similar level at a very high price in terms of salary. You can take that, or 2 chances (9, 10/15) of selecting young players with unpredictable quality, who may play 300 or 0 be better or worse, and cost less in terms of salary. I like Richmonds choice to attempt to trade this contracted player, so logically I would not like my clubs choice if it is the other side of the trade.

explain how me posting on bigfooty pushes up his price
Human mind adjusts to exposed inputs, public opinion is a remote form of exposing ideas to the cognitive centres that actually make the call.
Wow

This average player would be in your best 3 players

Shai Bolton is like Des Headland, looks good in a premiership team but actually an average player. That's why he went pick 29 in a weak draft. He is already 26 and declining in output, a new team would potentially get 140 games of similar level at a very high price in terms of salary. You can take that, or 2 chances (9, 10/15) of selecting young players with unpredictable quality, who may play 300 or 0 be better or worse, and cost less in terms of salary. I like Richmonds choice to attempt to trade this contracted player, so logically I would not like my clubs choice if it is the other side of the trade.

explain how me posting on bigfooty pushes up his price
Human mind adjusts to exposed inputs, public opinion is a remote form of exposing ideas to the cognitive centres that actually make the call.
Des Headland had Bipartite Patella and Fremantle didn't do their due diligence.

His output was always going to decline, and performances was all over the shop due to pain in his knees.

Bolton is better in a better team, but I would say most people are.

Devil in the details, what you pay in salary cap and trade assets.

That is true unfortunately
He can decline to his hearts delight going foward for all i care but he has been sensational for Richmond last 5 years when we needed him to be.

I remember 4-5 years ago there was a Shai Bolton thread where we were being told by WA supporters he was only worth a 3rd rounder. Wish i could work out how to bring that thread up again.

Would be some really funny reading

We 100% should go after Warner this year.
It will cost us pick 3 plus another top pick (say 13 or a F1st from Hawthorn) but given what it could achieve in terms of our midfield and improving our ability to retain Harley I would accept the cost for Warner.
Will be interesting to see if this gets any traction over the next couple of weeks or if it's just a pie in the sky hope.

We 100% should go after Warner this year.
It will cost us pick 3 plus another top pick (say 13 or a F1st from Hawthorn) but given what it could achieve in terms of our midfield and improving our ability to retain Harley I would accept the cost for Warner.
Will be interesting to see if this gets any traction over the next couple of weeks or if it's just a pie in the sky hope.
Would be crazy if they didnt

They have the pick and the cap space to get it done and he is only 23 years old
any new recruit will take 2-3 years to get to Chads level if ever and the chance to get a player as good would be less than 50% at Pick #3/#4 anyway

He is like a new recruit, Its a no brainer just put 9 years at $14 mil on the table and see what happens

Would be crazy if they didnt

They have the pick and the cap space to get it done and he is only 23 years old
any new recruit will take 2-3 years to get to Chads level if ever and the chance to get a player as good would be less than 50% at Pick #3/#4 anyway

He is like a new recruit, Its a no brainer just put 9 years at $14 mil on the table and see what happens

That is the thing with West Coast at the moment. I worry about it but West Coast are in a position where they could offer Warner an insane amount of money by heavily front loading his contract. Swans can't do that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is the thing with West Coast at the moment. I worry about it but West Coast are in a position where they could offer Warner an insane amount of money by heavily front loading his contract. Swans can't do that.
We'd also fairly compensate you for him as well.
Doubt you'll get anything offered next year from Fremantle that is remotely close.

He can decline to his hearts delight going foward for all i care but he has been sensational for Richmond last 5 years when we needed him to be.

I remember 4-5 years ago there was a Shai Bolton thread where we were being told by WA supporters he was only worth a 3rd rounder. Wish i could work out how to bring that thread up again.

Would be some really funny reading
I remember that. They were using Daniel Butler as a template. Since we settled for a pick in the fifties for him, they reasoned that we would do exactly the same with Bolton. That we wouldn't stand in his way.

When I respectfully attempted to point out on the Eagles forum for example that he was considered by Dustin Martin the most talented player at the club and that wasn't going to happen, I was reminded in a robust fashion that my opinions as a non-Western Australian were best kept to myself.

In fairness there was also some discussion by Victorian fans who also thought that Bolton was basically free to a good home. On the Carlton board they thought a token third rounder was all that was needed, one poster suggested even that was unnecessary, that exchanging a third would be enough.

Yes it would be very funny reading now, but to be honest even back then it was all kind of humorous.

This is my worry too.

Freo have essentially locked themselves out of the race with Baker and Bolton.

WC quietly sitting in the background with their picks, plus a whopping salary cap hole and they're ready to pounce. 2x2m upfront and 1m a year + cap increases. We can't get near that, and it's probably low side of what they're capable of.

It's a one horse race this year and it gives them a far better chance to keep Reid too.

I guess we'll know soon enough

Pick 3+ WCE F1 for Warner + 18/19 + Swans F1?
Likely 2 top 4 picks for Warner and 2 late teens picks. Thats a pretty heavy price for Warner but I think we'd do it.

If the Eagles can add Warner for whatever it costs, plus the right middle age moneyball players who play the right roles, we should 100% do it.

Lack a couple of wing/half backs and a long term KPD option to replace McGovern but we can add to the prospects we have in the draft with our later picks.

Likely 2 top 4 picks for Warner and 2 late teens picks. Thats a pretty heavy price for Warner but I think we'd do it.

If the Eagles can add Warner for whatever it costs, plus the right middle age moneyball players who play the right roles, we should 100% do it.

Lack a couple of wing/half backs and a long term KPD option to replace McGovern but we can add to the prospects we have in the draft with our later picks.
You are totally delusional if you think that is in anyway a fair deal and swans go for that and release Warner whilst in a potential B2B premiership window. Pick 3+ WCE F1 for Warner + 18/19 is more accurate

You are totally delusional if you think that is in anyway a fair deal and swans go for that and release Warner whilst in a potential B2B premiership window. Pick 3+ WCE F1 for Warner + 18/19 is more accurate
upgrading 2 late teens picks to top 4 picks as payment for Warner is a very good deal.
Warner is no Chris Judd, what my trade values Warner at is roughly a top 4 pick + pick 7-10. Thats not that far off what Judd got in a trade.

You are delusional if you think they scoff at that, especially if they know hes probably gone a year later for significantly less trade capital, likely just our 2025 1st pick on its own best case.

upgrading 2 late teens picks to top 4 picks as payment for Warner is a very good deal.
Warner is no Chris Judd, what my trade values Warner at is roughly a top 4 pick + pick 7-10. Thats not that far off what Judd got in a trade.

You are delusional if you think they scoff at that, especially if they know hes probably gone a year later for significantly less trade capital, likely just our 2025 1st pick on its own best case.
You want 3 1st round picks in return for F1 all the while getting Warner for #3
come on man seriously the 2 picks in 2024 are worth F1 no chance you get the swans F1 as well

Time to get real

You want 3 1st round picks in return for F1 all the while getting Warner for #3
come on man seriously the 2 picks in 2024 are worth F1 no chance you get the swans F1 as well

Time to get real
Notice how I didnt write 18+19

Swans 3 firsts are worth less than the eagles F1 btw, what I said before of 4 + 7-10 being the value im offering for Warner is accurate

Wouldn't you be better waiting a year for Chad.
Use pick 3 this year, hope to win say 8 games next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Chad Warner [OOC 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back