Toast Chad Wingard Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

If only Wingard had the professionalism of someone like a Boak and looked to actively try to get the best out of himself during the off-season, he wouldn’t have been made to leave Port and could have easily been an all time great and still be playing.

It was well documented that he doesn’t live and breathe football and in fact, doesn’t enjoy watching the game as much and views his career as a job first and foremost, but at the end of the day, talent can only get you so far and he didn’t seem to make as much of an effort to get the best out of himself.

I was so gutted when he requested a trade to Hawthorn but looking back at it now, it was the right choice. I only wish that we demand the hawks to cough up more for him since Burton hasn’t progressed as much as I thought he would and Duursma is now at the bombers after a few difficult seasons at Port.

A pretty good assessment and it echos my thoughts. Chad had talent to burn but his subsequent career at Hawthorn showed that we had made the right decision. Obviously Chad's head was not in the right place.

We feel disappointed that Wingard fell away but I will wager Hawks supporters are even more disappointed as they probably had visions of Shaun Burgoyne MkII when they secured Chad Wingard's signature. He finished up playing 71 games across 6 seasons with them. While I agree that Ryan Burton has not progressed at least he is still playing so we are probably in front on that score.

Will miss Chad. Gave me so much joy as a player for us. Hopefully he returns to Port in some capacity

Given some of the comments re Chad's attitude I will be happy if he doesn't. We said goodbye to Chad because he didn't have the right mindset and we should not take him back unless something has changed dramatically.

Depends on which twist you apply to your logic. Replace Duursma with Wingard in the 2020 PF and we probably win it. Chad definitely wouldn’t have fumbled that chest mark.

Chad was also the hottest player in the comp in the final month of the 2021 minor round.

8 Brownlow Votes in 4 games across August.

While the high-priced free agent who replaced his pay packet was already dead and buried.

Sliding dhoarrrs.

Sport isn’t rock, papers, scissors. You can’t just sub out player X for player Y and project that the results that pan out accordingly. Nor is it far from the first instance of a player of higher stature leaving and the club performing better next year.

Hinkley and the club obviously set some sort of standard. Whether that was fitness, or some more general investment in professionalism, that they demanded from those players, it clearly paid dividends from the performance of the players from 2019 onwards.

Chad is obviously not singularly to blame for 2015-2019. But a coach is more than within the rights to demand a level of commitment from their players, and hold them to that. Just because we like Chad, and still do, shouldn’t mean he’s exempt from standards. Just because we don’t like Ken, and still don’t, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t attempt to implement a vision/culture. They haven’t got too many wrong tbqh.
If you keep winning and the player is a star player, coaches put up with a lot. If you don't win a flag, you get rid of them.

Aker and Matthews is a classic example. Matthews put up with Aker's BS for a long time, until they stopped winning.

Blight had to get a commitment from Garry Ablett, but Ablett was given special treatment - why? because he delivered and they kept winning - didn't get the flag, but got to 4 GF's in Abletts time during Blight's 6 seasons and Ayres' first 2 seasons.

What are you disagreeing with King_Tredrea? Wingard hasn't played a full season of footy since 2015. Even excluding missing all this year he has still missed a higher percentage of games than Burton has since 2019.
Wasn't worth mentioning. The original point about having Chad in the 2020 prelim instead of Now Bomber Duursma, or a player we have never got anything out of in Burton, was a good one.

Wasn't worth mentioning. The original point about having Chad in the 2020 prelim instead of Now Bomber Duursma, or a player we have never got anything out of in Burton, was a good one.
Would I have preferred top form, uninjured, dedicated Wingard in that game as opposed to Burton + Duursma? Yeah, sure.

But my reply is that just was never going to be the case. Wingard was also perenially injured from that time on, and only had a genuine impact in a handful of games each year when he was fit.

It was a huge call to make at the time, but hindsight has provided pretty strong vindication.

Duursma dropped a mark (other players never make a mistake). Therefore Chad Wingard is a good player.

Would I have preferred top form, uninjured, dedicated Wingard in that game as opposed to Burton + Duursma? Yeah, sure.

But my reply is that just was never going to be the case. Wingard was also perenially injured from that time on, and only had a genuine impact in a handful of games each year when he was fit.

It was a huge call to make at the time, but hindsight has provided pretty strong vindication.
No, it hasn't. At all. Hawks only got elite Wingard in bursts, but they certainly got more from him than we got from either Duursma or Burton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given some of the comments re Chad's attitude I will be happy if he doesn't. We said goodbye to Chad because he didn't have the right mindset and we should not take him back unless something has changed dramatically.

I tend to think along these lines. Fantastic player back in the day. But I don't think he's much of a club person. I'm good friends with his first cousin, who doesn't even like him. Which fits in with stories back in the day of him not getting along so well with the playing group.

No, it hasn't. At all. Hawks only got elite Wingard in bursts, but they certainly got more from him than we got from either Duursma or Burton
By what metric?

They got 71 games from Wingard. We've got 178 and counting from Duursma and Burton alone.

Then add the fact that their end of the Wingard trade is finished - he's retired. We've still got Burton, and have traded Duursma for BZT who has been more than solid this year and will likely be best 22 for the next 5-6 years

Have either Burton or Duursma (or even BZT) had the same impact in any one game as Wingard had in those half a dozen games in the back end of 2021? No, almost certainly not. But it's farcical to suggest the combined impact of those 2 (and especially 3, if counting BZT) hasn't greatly outweighed Wingard's impact for the Hawks in his time there.

End of the day the Hawks took a gamble in trading out future capital for Wingard would propel them back to finals and that didn't happen. We are still getting some reward for our end of the trade, no matter how little you think of Duursma/Burton/BZT.

As long as our players don't have to line up for Breust 300th, I'm happy to see Chad get paraded.

Sure the player's team can line up for a major milestone but there is no need for the opposition to get involved. The game has just become so politically correct. Shaking the opponents hand after a game is good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Chad Wingard Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back