Champions League 2011/12

Remove this Banner Ad

AC, you really really love to play down your side's chances, don't you? ;)

I have no idea why an informed football fan would expect us to win by 2 goals at Stamford Bridge. You just have to look at our recent CL history to get an idea. Without checking, looking at away games in knockout stages where we went to the next round (not counting Bayer Leverkusen), I can only think of Real last season where we beat them. Most away games have been draws (Lyon, Bayern, Chelsea, Arsenal, Milan...) and the occasional loss (Arsenal last season).

I think we are favourites but imo no more than Real were favourites this morning. Chelsea have found themselves again under Di Matteo and are definitely good enough to beat us and go to the final. The Chelsea games have always been tight - we've never been able to play as well like we did against Utd in the 2 finals for example.

A whole lot can happen tomorrow. We can dominate Chelsea, or Chelsea can overrun us, it's impossible to say. Chelsea definitely have the attacking strenght to hurt our defense which looked shaky in Milan. Then there's also still something like motivation, which may be stronger for Chelsea's players.

Unless we dominate and miss several golden opportunities I'll be very happy with a score draw. 0-0 is always tricky, you almost may as well lose 2-1 because then at least you know what you're up to for the return.
Chelsea haven't found themselves under Di Matteo at all.

Chelsea's last 3 home results in the league;

1-0 v Stoke who are a shit team away from home - look at their away record over three years in the PL

0-0 v Tottenham - Spurs sat back but had the better chances

2-1 v Wigan - lucky win. two offside goals.

And I could go further back but it's pretty similar to this. (lots of unconvincing home wins)

Chelsea lost to Aston Villa at Stamford Bridge. Aston Villa!

In the CL?

Unconvincing 2-1 win against 10 man Benfica.

They have improved but not that much. Maybe better defensively but they don't look much more threatening going forward. They've just been luckier than they were before. If anything.

The bit about Real is rubbish. Bayern are arguably the third best side in Europe and are a very, very hard side to beat at home. Their results at home in the CL this season have been very convincing. Real's tie and away fixture was much harder.

Yes, the Chelsea games have always been tight. THIS IS NOT THE SAME CHELSEA TEAM. A lot of the same players yes but very old and slow players who are noticeably past their best and consistently struggle to impact matches. They can't dominate opponents like they used to regularly. Barca are better than they were three years ago. The comparison to the old matches is wrong for a number of reasons and while Chelsea will try and make it tight they won't be able to worry you at Stamford Bridge as consistently as they used to be able to.

I do respect your stats re: Barca away in knockout fixtures but I'm basing my predictions on having seen Chelsea over the last 7 or 8 years since Mourinho and this is as poor as I've seen them look in attack. They rely a lot on Mata. Put it that way.
If he doesn't play well they lack the ability to penetrate good defences I think.

Chelsea 1 Barca 3

oh and btw why would lampard even bring up messi not scoring against chelsea.... he was some player three years ago.... he has gone up a level since that time.... should've let that one slide....

Yeah but still... you're in the FA cup final and you're in the CL semi's... thanks to a great return game against Napoli under Di Matteo where the team looked much more inspired than under AVB in Italy.

The Benfica tie was tricky. They're a good side (I wouldn't expect us to win in Portugal either) and going up 1-0 at home understandably gave you a false feeling of security.

I haven't seen enough of Chelsea throughout the season, but I do get the impression players' mentality has changed for the better since the sacking of AVB. Even Torres has been useful lately.

Also I'm convinced we won't win it this season, simply because no team has ever won consecutive CL's. I don't even count the old Champions Cups because they were much easier to win back in the day with only 1 team per country.

every time a doesn't win consecutive cl's it's one year closer to someone actually doing it, isn't it?

it's a hard thing to do but since the time of the CL there hasn't been a side (real madrid early-mid 00's maybe) who has been as consistently dominant or good.

if anyone is to do it in the near future it will certainly be this team.

Great game so far, chances for both teams. Good to see Drogba score first. Hope we can keep a clean sheet here.

Fabregas missed one sitter and another he should have put away. Will these be big missed opportunities over two legs time will tell?
Good Game from Cech, Cole and Drogba. Interesting second half coming up

Yeah I would agree, they SHOULD be 2 up on Chelsea. Cole has been great so far yep. Will be an amazing effort if they can keep Barcelona from scoring. Soon as they get a sniff they look like scoring.

Yeah I would agree, they SHOULD be 2 up on Chelsea. Cole has been great so far yep. Will be an amazing effort if they can keep Barcelona from scoring. Soon as they get a sniff they look like scoring.

Well done Chelsea not conceding an away goals, Barcelona did not take their chances.
Gives Chelsea a chance in the second leg, especially if they can nick an away goal

Exceptional performance from Chelsea.

No tezm can "play" Barca in the sense of competing with them to dominate the game. Barca are too good. Di Matteo planned to negate that superiority and they did well. Barca should have won on chances taken but even the best teams have frustrations.

I thought Messi played too far from goal. If he was on the edge of the area and Xavi further forward i think Barca would have carried more threat but what do I know?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Di Matteo has proven he is far more tactical aware and picks formations that suit Chelsea and the teams they are playing than AVB was IMO. Plus AVB lost the dressing room by November

Are we so sure Di Matteo actually does the managing?

8wcpye.png

Great result! To keep a clean sheet is crucial.

Ramires was immense today. He seems to have found composure I've never seen from him before.

Before the season he was my scapegoat but this season he has won me over. Would now be one of my first picked players in the team.

Let face it, if the next game is played in the same way Barca wins 5-0.
Absolutely dominated and should of had at least 4 in the back of the net, just one of those days that won't happen again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Champions League 2011/12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back