Champions League 2011/12

Remove this Banner Ad

Let face it, if the next game is played in the same way Barca wins 5-0.
Absolutely dominated and should of had at least 4 in the back of the net, just one of those days that won't happen again.

Said that this time two years ago after the first leg of the semi against Inter.

Ramires was been rather good of late.

But saying all of that, Barca should run over the top of them and it is Chelsea so that would be enjoyable.

Yes, the Chelsea games have always been tight. THIS IS NOT THE SAME CHELSEA TEAM. A lot of the same players yes but very old and slow players who are noticeably past their best and consistently struggle to impact matches. They can't dominate opponents like they used to regularly. Barca are better than they were three years ago. The comparison to the old matches is wrong for a number of reasons and while Chelsea will try and make it tight they won't be able to worry you at Stamford Bridge as consistently as they used to be able to.

I do respect your stats re: Barca away in knockout fixtures but I'm basing my predictions on having seen Chelsea over the last 7 or 8 years since Mourinho and this is as poor as I've seen them look in attack. They rely a lot on Mata. Put it that way.
If he doesn't play well they lack the ability to penetrate good defences I think.

Chelsea 1 Barca 3

oh and btw why would lampard even bring up messi not scoring against chelsea.... he was some player three years ago.... he has gone up a level since that time.... should've let that one slide....

Hahaha. Couldn't have been more wrong if you tried to be.

Mata had no impact at all.
Messi did very little.
Cahill was just about MOTM.

We kept a clean sheet and won.

Bring it home now Chelsea!!

for all the posession and stuff, barca just didnt play well at all. messi tried to do everything himself, xavi/iniesta had little influence, and barca's defence i thought were terrible. puyol played possibly the worst game i've seen him play. chelsea defended like absolute kings, cahill stepped it up like i never thought he could, but idk if they can keep it up at the camp nou. inter did, so you can never say never.

interesting stat, chelsea have only conceded 1 goal in the 4 games terry and cahill have started together. they'll need to be at their best (same with cech) at the nou camp

I thought chelsea were exceptional last night, defensive masterclass.. I know luck may have played a part, with barca hitting the woodwork twice. But you can't knock the defensive doggedness of chelsea, the english defenders had a real retro, old fashioned, no nonsense approach which paid dividends.

Also they were excellent on the break, and if they can absorb all the pressure at the nou camp they could be in with a good shout of getting to munich and having sweet success!

Exceptional performance from Chelsea.

They played well, but no team that has the fortune of 2 balls hitting their woodwork and needs to rely on their opponents missing a few absolute sitters while managing only 1 shot on target in 90 minutes has performed exceptionally. I know this isn't the Chelsea of old but we're not talking about BATE Borisov here either.

gaelictiogar said:
No tezm can "play" Barca in the sense of competing with them to dominate the game. Barca are too good.

Bilbao put in a great effort tbh. Real were the better team in our last match against us as well.

gaelictiogar said:
I thought Messi played too far from goal. If he was on the edge of the area and Xavi further forward i think Barca would have carried more threat but what do I know?

Chelsea's merit for pushing Messi back imo.

NFGKizza said:
for all the posession and stuff, barca just didnt play well at all.

If the finishing was any better or if we had that bit more luck, we could've scored 4 easily. At Stamford Bridge. I honestly don't think you can say in this case we didn't play well.

It's just been one of those games.

NFGKizza said:
and barca's defence i thought were terrible.

A defence with Mascherano, Adriano who even saw Puyol (who never plays at LB) picked ahead of him in Milan and Alves who's hardly a defender these days can't even fill the most positive Barcelona fan with much confidence, but how terrible could they have been when Chelsea managed only 1 shot on target?

NFGKizza said:
chelsea defended like absolute kings

becca2012 said:
I thought chelsea were exceptional last night, defensive masterclass.. I know luck may have played a part, with barca hitting the woodwork twice. But you can't knock the defensive doggedness of chelsea, the english defenders had a real retro, old fashioned, no nonsense approach which paid dividends.

These are such after the game comments when all that counts is the result. The fact is that their kings had to rely on us hitting the woodwork twice and missing some absolute sitters. Tactically they played well but they were so lucky to get a clean sheet.

becca2012 said:
Also they were excellent on the break

... which resulted in 1 shot on target in 90 minutes.

If the finishing was any better or if we had that bit more luck, we could've scored 4 easily. At Stamford Bridge. I honestly don't think you can say in this case we didn't play well.

You should probably look just how many clean sheets Chelsea have kept this season, Stamford Bridge or otherwise.

Barca might have played well, but they are surely the sorest losers in world sport.

jose_mourinho_981572c.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By running onto the field flippin' the bird to a whole stadium, Mou showed us he's not only a sore loser but also a sore winner. His team just qualified for a CL final and all he could think of was claiming all the attention for himself because he beat the club that didn't want to sign him the season before. What a man to admire :thumbsu:

The sprinklers were a bloody stupid thing to do though. All the club should've done was let Mou meet with some fans later that night on the way to the bus. For sure it would've been worth the fine we'd get for lack of security.

Barca might have played well, but they are surely the sorest losers in world sport.

LOL where's this coming from?

Lol cannot believe we won. If we can get a 2-1 result (to barca), then we would get through on away goals :D Heres to hoping.

So much negativity towards chelsea, jealousy, I think so ;)

I think we'll lose but I'll always have hope...

Torres and Drogba both to start please, RDM. Drogba centrally and Torres wide right. Kalou to the bench. He's due a major **** up and it'll probably happen tomorrow if he plays.

Chelsea have a good chance since Messi had gastro and only recovered yesterday, he has average physical fitness at the best of times. We saw in the classico that when referees don't interfere Barca can struggle so maybe the tide is turning in that regard. Pep is under the pump in the press too and looks to be cracking, he criticized his experienced players after the derby. He also said that young boy Trello created the most opportunities for his team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Champions League 2011/12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back