Senior List
May 21, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I am predicting 2 changes

In: Wakelin and Gray
out: Carlile and Logan

Logan has been good, but we require a crumber and Robbie Gray is a natural.
Carlile has grown on me in the last few weeks, but the experience of Wakelin is eesential.

Cassissi - Harvey
K.Cornes - Wells

Whoever Rawlings tags should be moved up forward. Either Chad or Shaun should be pushed forward immediately and this will expose them in 2 areas. Firstly, Rawlings isnt a defender and wont be able to go with Shaun on the lead or Chad in the air. Secondly, it takes away their only defensively minded midfielder (assuming Kasey Green does not play) and will give us more freedom when running forward.

Wakelin - Petrie
Thurstans - Edwards
Chaplin - Grant

I'm a bit suspect about Wakelin playing, we wouldn't want to lose because we broke the age old rule of not taking injured players into finals.... it's really going to be a tough call for the coaching staff.

Keep Logan in, his tough nut style of play is needed this week. I would be devo if Lonie came back into the side.

If Ebert is out do we go for Gray who can kick goals but has no defensive play? Or Krakouer who will chase any opposition player down like a dog chasing a ball and can kick goals? Or will Choco do the usual Port finals move and bring back an experienced old head like Mahoney?

If Wakes is fully fit I would expect to see him play. There's probably more chance of Brogan's ankle going again than Wakes' groin and that would hurt us even more!

The Gray / Logan suggestion is interesting. I think we need Logan's one percenters in a final, more than we need another small forward. On the other hand, Gray would really stretch the roos defensively and has a pretty good defensive game himself. I would lean towards keeping Logan in because he's played the past few games, as well as performing well against WC (in a final).

EDIT: REH - I disagree that Gray has 'no defensive play' ;)

Ch 10 just said Ebert wasn't training this arvo :thumbsdown:

5AA mentioned he did laps as he was slowly recovering from a knee strain.

I remember after the QF someone said on this list he would be out for 6 weeks, I have a feeling he may be out which would mean Gray for Ebert defo.

Wakes for Pat'e

Kraquer is the interesting one, he may be choosen above gray as he has played more games and his form has been good. His speed against the Roo's could be crucial, but is frame could be risky in a game where every player will be battered I imagine.

The other thing I have been thinking is another thing could be to bring in Wakes for Logan and keep Pat'e.

I actually like the thought of toby being moved forward and pinch hitting ruck. eg 04 GF. he could be the wild card and seems to be lost when Wakes is in our side eg Geelong game.

we also then have a good defender in the wings if Wakes in injured or is being beaten

IN: ONLY ONLY ONLY IF 100% FIT Wakes, Thomson
OUT: Carlile (has been playing well), Logan

i'd still use a 94% fit Ebert, but if he's not good, then Gray comes in.

Matchups:
Grant - Surjan
Harris - K. Cornes... TAG HIM NOW
Harvey - Cassisi... TAG HIM NOW
Wells - Logan or Wilson
Petrie - Thurstans
Edwards - Chaplin if Wakes plays, Carlile if Wakes doesn't.

not too fussed about the matchups, IMO the game will be more of them trying to match up against us than us trying to match up against them.

Haha, Logan would be about the eighth player selected right now. No way is he dropping out, when the primary think differentiating us from the other three sides is our first-rate shepherding and physical persistence.

If Logan is dropped, we are ****ed. I'm surprised you guys can't see it.

No change, except bring in Gray if Ebert is injured.

Choco was interviewed on AA and was categorical that Ebert would play. Once upon a time that would've meant he was out, but Choco hasn't done the smoke and mirrors much this year. It was put to him Ebert hasn't kicked a ball since the WCE game, and Choco replied that he will kick the ball on Friday and Saturday. Make of it what you will.

One thing that was apparent from his interview was how relaxed he is in this finals series. He used to get wound up like world's biggest ball of twine once, but he's loose as a goose these days. Joked with Graham about how two players made Port one of the biggest sledgers and how he was amazed Chad had no left foot when he arrived at Port. He blamed Damien Hardwick for the targeting of Brent Harvey last week and said we wouldn't bother with it because it meant we weren't concentrating on what we do best. And he admitted that he was surprised with where we were this year. Praised the Kangaroos as possibly the team we respect the most, and gave Port's fans a big wrap.

Cornesy asked him whether Wakes will come in and Choco asked what would Graham do? Choco said they'll decide tomorrow once they've seen how everyone has come up.

Just as an aside, Graham commented this was the best he's seen Port train for a couple of years. He thought that crows training was better than ours over the past 2 years, but thought we'd passed them of late. he then speculated that the crows must have dropped off. :rolleyeld

Haha, Logan would be about the eighth player selected right now. No way is he dropping out, when the primary think differentiating us from the other three sides is our first-rate shepherding and physical persistence.

If Logan is dropped, we are ****ed. I'm surprised you guys can't see it

Completely agree. Logan is a must, particularly against this weeks opponents.

Choco was interviewed on AA and was categorical that Ebert would play. Once upon a time that would've meant he was out, but Choco hasn't done the smoke and mirrors much this year. It was put to him Ebert hasn't kicked a ball since the WCE game, and Choco replied that he will kick the ball on Friday and Saturday. Make of it what you will.

One thing that was apparent from his interview was how relaxed he is in this finals series. He used to get wound up like world's biggest ball of twine once, but he's loose as a goose these days. Joked with Graham about how two players made Port one of the biggest sledgers and how he was amazed Chad had no left foot when he arrived at Port. He blamed Damien Hardwick for the targeting of Brent Harvey last week and said we wouldn't bother with it because it meant we weren't concentrating on what we do best. And he admitted that he was surprised with where we were this year. Praised the Kangaroos as possibly the team we respect the most, and gave Port's fans a big wrap.

Cornesy asked him whether Wakes will come in and Choco asked what would Graham do? Choco said they'll decide tomorrow once they've seen how everyone has come up.

Just as an aside, Graham commented this was the best he's seen Port train for a couple of years. He thought that crows training was better than ours over the past 2 years, but thought we'd passed them of late. he then speculated that the crows must have dropped off. :rolleyeld

Thanks Ford :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:, dont listen to Bill + Ben very often and missed it so I really appreciate your effort to pass on any info Port related.

Ebert will play, as stated directly by Choco on ch 7 tonight.

Choco reckons Wakes is 50-50, but obviously is fully fit, i reckon he'll replace carlile, who will be unfortunate to miss.

logan won't be dropped for gray.

book mark this post :)

Ebert will play, as stated directly by Choco on ch 7 tonight.

Choco reckons Wakes is 50-50, but obviously is fully fit, i reckon he'll replace carlile, who will be unfortunate to miss.

logan won't be dropped for gray.

book mark this post :)

Does my strategy of Thurstans upfront, Wakes into defense and Allipate remain hold anything?

I know it probably won't happen but it is growing on me :), it must be my own idea :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Thommo didn't have a tendancy to be lazy and lack the pressure that Logan gives, i'd put him in for Logan.

Gray's an interesting one. Personally, I think he can be put in the team if we:
Put P.Burgers in the midfield
Let Chaplin be the loose man in defence
Rotate alot through the forward line

or we could totally go for something different and not play either Carlile or Wakelin. Usually we are playing one of Chaplin, Thurstans, Petters or Bob(Mostly Bob) on the bench. Personally I think this ruins our run and our ability to be the fitter side and run over the opposition in the last quarter. It's not as if the Roo's are the tallest side in the comp and Pettigrew can take a tall if he needs to(Would actually be a decent matchup for Edwards).

Geez... Listen to what Chocco said: No Change.

One thing that was apparent from his interview was how relaxed he is in this finals series.

I feel the same. I bet the players do. How many other Port supporters do?

I've got a really good feeling about this.... Whatever happens, our performance will not be weighed down by expectation.

I've got a really good feeling about this....

logan would be extremely unlucky to be dropped i think. he's done well and has the hardness which may be very important. he also did well in his first finals appearance and didn't seem troubled by the pressure of the occasion

i fully expect wakelin to play, i would be very surprised if he isn't fit, but i guess we'll wait and see. imo choco is talking up wakelin's possibility of not playing and that he will def play, but that's just a hunch

as much as carlile has done well, wakes is the man for the job if he's fit, that's the only change i would make, altho if ebo doesn't come up, get robbie gray in, he could produce something spectacular

I am predicting 2 changes

In: Wakelin and Gray
out: Carlile and Logan

Logan has been good, but we require a crumber and Robbie Gray is a natural.
Carlile has grown on me in the last few weeks, but the experience of Wakelin is eesential.

Cassissi - Harvey
K.Cornes - Wells

Whoever Rawlings tags should be moved up forward. Either Chad or Shaun should be pushed forward immediately and this will expose them in 2 areas. Firstly, Rawlings isnt a defender and wont be able to go with Shaun on the lead or Chad in the air. Secondly, it takes away their only defensively minded midfielder (assuming Kasey Green does not play) and will give us more freedom when running forward.

Wakelin - Petrie
Thurstans - Edwards
Chaplin - Grant

Rawlings wont play on C Cornes, most likely Simpson will. If C Cornes goes permanently forward, Simmo wont follow him, it will depend on who else you have forward but, if you opt for 4 tall forwards which I doubt, Petrie will go back.

Rawlings will tag S Burgoyne and if he goes forward, either Jesse Smith or Pratt will go onto him. Rawlings will go onto another one of your onabllers. Rawlings would follow him to a wing however.

We will start with Edwards, Petrie, Hale, Grant and McMahon forward. Who do you think will play on them?

If Green plays he will tag P Burgoyne as a defensive half forward.

Gibson - Motlop
Watt - Westhoff
Firitto - Tredrea
Pratt - Ebert
Jesse Smith - ?
Archer - ?

Goals won’t come easy this week. I rate North Melbourne's backline very highly. Though they are mid sized they are as tough as nails and are hard to beat, especially one on one. I think this could be a danger area.

Shaun will need to drift forward and kick a few goals this week.

Patrick Smith's done a thoughtful and comprehensive analysis of the key points of the game as they might unfold - we won him over with our "Corridor of Power" against Geelong. He based his 10 point plan for beating Geelong on our win over them at KP.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22447385-5013459,00.html

The corridor of Power awaits Roos
Patrick Smith | September 20, 2007

THE KANGAROOS will start underdogs in the second of the two preliminary finals which will decide this year's grand finalists.

Dean Laidley's team is the most unfashionable outfit in the business.

It does not overflow with stars, nor is it riddled with duds. It is more earnest than glittering. Laidley is as shrewd as any coach, but he is no song and dance man. You observe his talent, he does not tout it. The club has pulled itself together after threatening to fall apart at the start of the season.

If the team is marked by one thing it is what everybody calls the Shinboner spirit. While it is meant to be a compliment, it does the club no justice. It is an easy explanation of something far more sophisticated than thumping hearts and heaving chests.

If the Shinboner spirit is meant to describe qualities such as discipline, professionalism and an unwillingness to concede even one contest throughout a match, then the spirit is not singular to the Kangaroos. It is an essential ingredient in all successful clubs. It is only that at the Kangaroos it has been given a label other than courageous.

To concede this preliminary final to Port is to remember what happened to the Kangaroos against Geelong and ignore what took place at the MCG last Saturday night. The Kangaroos outplayed and out-thought Hawthorn. There is no reason why the same fate does not await Port.

The one thing that Alastair Clarkson's players had to do last week was to run the Kangaroos up and down the ground. It was the one thing that Laidley was able to stymie. Laidley played extra men in defence, forced Hawthorn away from the corridor and around the flanks. Such tactical discipline meant that Hawthorn could not get the ball from the defensive half to its four forwards, all boxed in inside their offensive 50.

Having shut down Hawthorn, Laidley was able to then ice the match when Clarkson took the cold tags off Daniel Wells and Brent Harvey.

With Brad Sewell and Richard Vandenberg assigned to other duties, Harvey and Wells became perhaps the most influential players in the second half of the match.

A study of that match would tell Port coach Mark Williams that there are several keys to dismantling the Kangaroos. First, he must do what Hawthorn could not. And that is run and carry the ball, play on constantly and not allow the Kangaroos to establish their no-go zones. Experts say the Kangaroos are a slow-possession side, moving the ball down the lines by kick and mark.

The Kangaroos are not the most efficient team. If they are denied the ball because of a fast, high-possession style by their opponents and then pressured, then they can lack composure. We saw such discomfort before and just after half-time last week.

Port is well placed to do this because it can run as many as nine through the midfield and Shaun Burgoyne, Danyle Pearce, David Rodan and Michael Pettigrew give Port a clear edge in speed.

Williams will know that Laidley will be keen to have Glenn Archer patrol the backline to provide cover for a defence that must stop Warren Tredrea, Brett Ebert, Justin Westhoff and Daniel Motlop. Laidley will look for Archer to be the third man up, but he will know that Port likes to set up its attack so that the forwards stretch the opposition backmen, leading constantly -- some wide, some straight -- to ensure one-on-one contests.

One analyst expects Williams to look for Chad Cornes to move back and force accountability from Archer. If Williams could rotate his match-ups to force a Cornes-Archer contest then it would be a win for Port.

Cornes could then move into the midfield and forward zone, either dragging Archer with him out of defence or becoming a midfield link.

To send Cornes on to Archer might also be a necessity if Brady Rawlings is successful in tagging the All-Australian wingman. The other option for Rawlings is to tag Burgoyne in the midfield. Rawlings could also pick up Peter Burgoyne when he comes off half-back to relieve his brother.

The other All-Australian wingman in the match is Kane Cornes, who could man-up on Adam Simpson or Daniel Harris. It is imperative that Cornes take one of those players at the stoppages because the Kangaroo pair drive their team's clearance rate.

The other clutch match-up should feature Harvey and Domenic Cassisi. The Port defensive midfielder held Gary Ablett when Port defeated Geelong in round 21. Cassisi must be a hard tag for the whole match. The Kangaroos' Brownlow Medal contender kicked four goals in the second half against Hawthorn when he pushed forward. Clarkson's mistake was not to send Sewell, who had shut him down in the first half, back with Harvey.

As a rule, the rest of Port Adelaide's midfield can be confident pushing back and building numbers in defence. The Kangaroos' midfield is not a high-scoring unit.

Williams has used two ruckmen consistently for the past six weeks. Brendon Lade has played as a centre forward and Dean Brogan as a centre back. The tactic helped force Geelong out of the corridor and can be effective against the Kangaroos. Brogan will clog up the space around Drew Petrie and Lade becomes another tall forward that Laidley will find hard to match up.

The Kangaroos will start as underdogs in the hostile environment of AAMI Stadium. It is a status that is hardly new to them. Laidley and his players have already thwarted one team that hoped to run them off their feet. The Kangaroos coped with Hawthorn because the opposition was one-dimensional. That cannot be said of Williams and Port. Call it what you will, but a little bit of Shinboner spirit from either side ain't going to hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes and Match Ups this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back