Preview Changes and pre-match discussion vs West Coast, Sunday 10 August 4:40 (Patersons)

Remove this Banner Ad

Swan and Ball are returning next week. So we have only Brown who many wanted out of the team anyway and Adams who only just went out after not being in the 22 until recently after a shocking first half of the season.
Point is we sook about injures more than any other team because we don't have a best 22 so we cry when the 25th man gets injured.

Give me a spell TG.

It's clear as day that your pre-emotively providing yourself ammunition for later on. For example if we win you can sit back and go "well that was the best team we could field so of course we should win" if we lose though it'll be "we're shit, we had our best team in so we should have won".

The bare facts are that in comparison with what our best team is (minus the long termers that haven't played all year) we are still 3/4 players short in Ball/ Adams, Swan and Seedsman so it is not the best 22 we could field.

The point is we sook about injuries because an inordinate amount of them are occurring in the final session of the week, are recurrence injuries or are a result of players going in for surgery too late.

Hmm I can cop the expectations. I'm pretty strong in my opinion that if you target players from opposition clubs they need to end up filling a position in the top 12 of the list and, IMO, at his best Young can do that. We just haven't seen that with any consistency in his time with the club so I can cop the criticism. What I can't cop is that posters get stuck into him, but Lumumba is consistently missed. He's a senior player and needs to be held to higher standards.

On his numbers the raw stats only tell half the story too. We all know that the hard ball isn't Young's strength (to put it diplomatically) therefore in order to generate 36 possessions he needs 20-25 handball receives as a minimum. Being at the game it was clear that he was running a lot harder than many others out there (be it his overall fitness, his smarts, to show up the Box Hill supp players heckling him or just a desire to get back into the senior line up IDK). If you add that to his 11 meaningful possessions (3 R50's, 5I50's and 3 clearances) he clearly adds something on a ground like Subiaco.

More than a clearly weary Langdon or unfortunate Martin anyway.
Young hasn't been consistent no question about that but he is being held to a much higher standard than players like Lumumba.

The team has been desperate for leadership from it's senior players with so many kids in the side. With Maxwell retiring H is one of those guys who needs to take on a bigger role and at times I've been pretty disappointed. Pendles can't carry them on his own, time for the middle tier such as Blair, Goldy, Caff and H to take on some of the load.

He is the oldest player in our team with Ball out. He is 28, will be 29 when next season starts, he is not a great defensive player, he cant hit a short target, doesn't win his own ball and makes poor decisions in congestion. He hears footsteps, is prone to bad errors at crucial stages and is an horrific handballer when being tackled.
Solid contributer? To what? Let me guess, you listen to the commentators when they rap up his elite kicking ability, huh? Ask Alistair Clarkson about his elite kicking ability. They would be pissing themselves laughing at Hawthorn that we got Young in as a designated kicker.
He played an ok first half against Essendon, but he didn't do much against Geelong. He averages 74 champion data points per game as a ball carrier. That is horrible. Especially when you consider a long kick that is not directly marked by the opposition is considered effective.

You are making it sound like he goes out there and just phones it in, and you're literally only highlighting the weaknesses in his game. You aren't giving him any credit for the run and carry and play off the half back which he does have in his game. His disposal efficiency isn't nearly as bad as you pretend it is, and I can't believe you're using SC points as an argument for his poor output.

Bottom line is that you could level these criticisms at Seedsman or Langdon who are the two kids who could feasibly push him out. I'd be happy seeing either of those two play instead to be honest, but some people need a reality check on Young. He's just the flavour of the week scapegoat.

Give me a spell TG.

It's clear as day that your pre-emotively providing yourself ammunition for later on. For example if we win you can sit back and go "well that was the best team we could field so of course we should win" if we lose though it'll be "we're shit, we had our best team in so we should have won".

The bare facts are that in comparison with what our best team is (minus the long termers that haven't played all year) we are still 3/4 players short in Ball/ Adams, Swan and Seedsman so it is not the best 22 we could field.

The point is we sook about injuries because an inordinate amount of them are occurring in the final session of the week, are recurrence injuries or are a result of players going in for surgery too late.

Add Maxwell who only retired cause he is injured and Brown. I disagree it is our best team for the year but regardless best team of the year is still different to no injuries.

TG has his post already written now that he has set himself up to have a crack via his previous post.

I don't get it personally myself. He isn't an elite kick, but he does provide us with something very few others do in the senior 22. Penetration by foot.

Take Lumumba, his ball use was absolutely horrid last week yet he copped a tenth of the vitriol that Young cops (good or poor performance).

I'm one of the first to admit that as a mature FA that we identified to fill a role he needs to step up at least a level or two, but he went back to VFL and put in a solid performance so deserved a call up when put up against the two players omitted.

Because Lumumba can get himself out of a sticky situation allot better and can kick it on his wrong foot.

One thing about Young, is that he's an experienced gut runner. At least we know he'll be able to run out a game, especially on the wide expanses of Subiaco.

With the number of youngsters we have in, they just can't carry that load because of inexperience and lack of pre-seasons under their belt.

Dwyer does help in this facet too. Next year, with Broomy, BenKen etc then having 3 pre-seasons under their belt can start to take on this load and you could phase out players like Young and Dwyer. In tomorrow's game, running out a game strongly will be required and Young's long kicking will be a weapon.

Because Lumumba can get himself out of a sticky situation allot better and can kick it on his wrong foot.

Seriously? Lumumba is reasonable at getting out of "sticky" situations because he is the master of getting himself into them!!

The regularity in which his first step is into, rather than out of, traffic boggles the mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In relation to Young, if we were a great side with a great midfield, like we were 3-4 years ago, we could use him, because he is an outside player who plays well when the team is firing. BUt we aren't that team anymore, and we have no use for him. He is just taking up a spot Seedsman could have. Is not the kind of guy you want in the trenches when you are up against it. I'm sure given 3-4 more games, when we're under the pump, and others will see it too. Is not the kind of "follow me" guy, but the "oh shit I have the ball and there is pressure around...here you have it" kind of guy.

Seriously? Lumumba is reasonable at getting out of "sticky" situations because he is the master of getting himself into them!!

The regularity in which his first step is into, rather than out of, traffic boggles the mind.

Lumumba rarely gets tackled

Lumumba rarely gets tackled

Maybe, but after he has tried to evade 3 tackles, it's the guy that he handballs to, who is flat footed, that gets tackled.
There is no 1st option with Lumumba.
It's 3 or 4, them if I'm in trouble I'll dish it off and make it a problem for my team mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes and pre-match discussion vs West Coast, Sunday 10 August 4:40 (Patersons)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back