Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Demons @ Gabba, Round 16, 2024..

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
In - Will Ashcroft.:D

Out - Bruce Reville. ☹️

Callum Ah Chee could be another option as the out, whoever it is takes Brain's spot as the sub.

The 2 possible outs could be Berry(ribs/ankle?) and/or Lohmann(corked thigh?). If 1 is out Reville stays in, if both out Sharp or Brain into the starting 22 along with Ashcroft.

Ashcroft back!

Its Happening GIF by MOODMAN

In - Will Ashcroft.:D

Out - Bruce Reville. ☹️

Callum Ah Chee could be another option as the out, whoever it is takes Brain's spot as the sub.

The 2 possible outs could be Berry(ribs/ankle?) and/or Lohmann(corked thigh?). If 1 is out Reville stays in, if both out Sharp or Brain into the starting 22 along with Ashcroft.

Doubtfuls - Lohmann, that corky could be enough to keep him out, maybe if cautious a rest.
- Berry, ribs n ankle.
- Starce also copped a knock in the ribs.

All could be fine for next week. Berry n Starce played out the game, and we're a pretty cautious team. Lohmann subbed out but treatment might get him up.

The dilemma is if all are OK how do we fit Ashcroft into the team? What is the role he can best play at the moment, how much run in his legs does he have? If there are no injuries I'm playing Ashcroft as sub. The starting 22 are going really well. We're not desperate, we're winning, we can afford to ease him in. Sub is a good option.

If there's a desire for him to get a full game it's Brain out, Reville to Sub as McIvor suggests.

If Lohmann is out with the corky, Ashcroft to replace.
If Berry out Ashcroft replaces him. I don't know that he can be anywhere near as effective as Berry in his role but I reckon they will make adjustments to get him in. If Lohmann and Berry are out, Ashcroft and maybe Dev in to play Berry's role. All these options keep Bruuce and Brain as they are. Obviously if Starce has rib problems Brain comes in for him.

My preference of all scenarios is keep the starting 22 as is and play Ashcroft as sub.

It's just nice to be having a discussion about how we fit someone in. A very good problem to have.

Fwwiw Ashcroft is ready to go but needs match fitness. You don't sub your guns . If he's right he plays.

I'm thinking Lohman probably won't get up and maybe a couple of others who might be sore.

If they're all fit and well I'll leave it up to the selectors because no one deserves to be dropped.

it would be worth having Will as the sub I think is way to precious to have a Doedee happen again and why change a very in form team?

He’s either right to play or he isn’t and if we are wanting to play finals he needs as much game time to build form as possible imo

It's just nice to be having a discussion about how we fit someone in. A very good problem to have.

Fwwiw Ashcroft is ready to go but needs match fitness. You don't sub your guns . If he's right he plays.

I'm thinking Lohman probably won't get up and maybe a couple of others who might be sore.

If they're all fit and well I'll leave it up to the selectors because no one deserves to be dropped.

Ressies play again at Springfield. I'm actually more inclined to play him there next week. If needs be he can be brought off after three quarters. But if the medical staff think he's right to go I won't argue.

flying up to brisbane for this one with a couple of mates who are melbourne supporters. first time at the gabba.

i dont see a need to rush ashcroft back in against this rabble.
Hopefully you're friends will enjoy the trip but not the game as much as you. In the meantime, make a Spotify list of the Lions goal songs for them in preparation for the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just fear that the amazing mix in the midfield might need time to adjust with WAshcroft back in (and this is a great problem to have). We still need wins but also bring him back in at the same time. I hope that WAshy gets Cluggs inside minutes and not Berry's. Berry has been a revelation inside this year and Cluggs is a gun wing. Of course is still going to get rotated through there throughout the game anyway. I am warming to the idea of WAshy as sub. Let Cluggs and Reville start inside and wing respectively and then around half time or whenever, sub out Reville, Cluggs to wing and WAshy in to the grind.

I just fear that the amazing mix in the midfield might need time to adjust with WAshcroft back in (and this is a great problem to have). We still need wins but also bring him back in at the same time. I hope that WAshy gets Cluggs inside minutes and not Berry's. Berry has been a revelation inside this year and Cluggs is a gun wing. Of course is still going to get rotated through there throughout the game anyway. I am warming to the idea of WAshy as sub. Let Cluggs and Reville start inside and wing respectively and then around half time or whenever, sub out Reville, Cluggs to wing and WAshy in to the grind.

Reckon it's Ash in Brian out and Bruce to sub. Clugga out to wing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the midfield mix changes week to week subtly and Ashcroft will be slowly introduced

Like Bailey had quite a lot more midfield time yesterday then has recently

He’s either right to play or he isn’t and if we are wanting to play finals he needs as much game time to build form as possible imo

He’s had about an 11 month recovery and has been doing full training for about a month now. He was originally previews to come back just after our bye and it’s been a month since then.

I don’t think he’s been rushed.

He’s had about an 11 month recovery and has been doing full training for about a month now. He was originally previews to come back just after our bye and it’s been a month since then.

I don’t think he’s been rushed.
He targeted to be back by round 9 or 10 and from all accounts he was ready then but we've deliberately held him back ,building his fitness and confidence in his body.

If anything we've been over cautious but I don't think there's anyone who would argue with that approach.

I'd rather keep Bruce in, it seems we are using him more whenever we need to kick to a 1on1. I want that to continue hopefully and Bruce can establish himself on the wing this way.

That being said, it'll be between Bruce / Ah Chee / Fletcher. Both Bruce and Ah Chee kicked 2 goals each so whoever miss out would have done nothing wrong and it's just bad luck. Only other scenario is Kai doesn't get up due to his corky and gets replaced by Will.

I'd rather keep Bruce in, it seems we are using him more whenever we need to kick to a 1on1. I want that to continue hopefully and Bruce can establish himself on the wing this way.

That being said, it'll be between Bruce / Ah Chee / Fletcher. Both Bruce and Ah Chee kicked 2 goals each so whoever miss out would have done nothing wrong and it's just bad luck. Only other scenario is Kai doesn't get up due to his corky and gets replaced by Will.

Fletcher played a much better game than Ah Chee and Reville. Was dominant on the wing, winning his one on one contests and creating space and opportunities.

Ah Chee has been a bit down on form, has not really taken any contested marks recently. Still brings the ball down and doesn’t lose his contests forward.

Bruce has done great but Ashcroft is Ashcroft.

Kai is a massive out - he has become a critical link in our game execution in such a short time. Going to be a long term superstar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back