Changes for Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats assuming no changes from the Cats on last night.

For what's it's worth the consensus over our way on selection seems to be In : Kelly, Podsiadly (Bomber guaranteed the latter would play this week) Out: Duncan and Hogan/some general soreness

Anyway can't wait, I really rate the Pies and I think it's going to be a massive game.

Well seeing the Cats can Struggle against Quick Players - Don't rule our Barham coming in for O'Bree

Barham looked good in the VFL against Frankston. I would not be surprised to see him in if Sharrad is not ready.

Leigh Brown played an irresistible game - 24 possessions, 15 marks and 6 goals 2 points. Fraser was lively.

These three players were named best of the VFL team. Any of them would play well at AFL level because of current form.

O'Bree just simply has to go out against the Cats. He has a bad record against them, and his horrible disposal will be disastrous against such a quality team.

Wellingham should be ready.

Worried about Wellinghams touch against a team that really puts the body pressure on at the stoppages.

Medhurst is an obvious for Jack
Presti for Brown another obvious

It's then whether Wellingham and Fraser are on the ready to go list.

No Brown thanks, that team they played on the weekend were a VFL thirds side. Last year his poor conversion kost the game against the Cats and adds nothing structurally. No Browns this week.

This week Harry needs to get some touch back since his usual match up is Stevie J.

Does anyone know why Goldy didn't play in the VFL? He isn't on the injury list. If he, Med and Wellers are ready I would do the following;

IN: Wellingham, Prestigiacomo, Medhurst, Goldsack
OUT: O'Bree, Brown, Anthony, Macaffer

Wellers for O'Bree is an obvious one. Cheese can't kick and considering the fact that he is playing half his time at half forward, we have way better options. Wellers makes us faster, classier and more potent. He is also a goalkicker.

Presti for Brown is also obvious. Brown has been doing well but we simply need to win this game.

Med for Jack. Can't go in too tall against a quality rebounding defence. Meds is in goalkicking form and will do a better job at holding it in.

Sack for Macaffer. Horses for courses. Geelong have Stokes, Chapman, Byrnes, Varcoe and Stevie J and Ablett is spending a lot of time forward this year. That's uber-potent and we need another small/medium who is a genuine chance to shut down one of their smalls.

LINEUP:

Goldy__Presti__Toovey
______Maxwell
Heath__Reid__O'Brien

Jolly____Swan___Ball
Dids___Pendles_Thomas

Beams__Cloke__Davis
__Medhurst__Dawes

INT: Johnno, Sidey, Wellers, Wood

NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Goldsack "in" is not wise, given it would be his first game this season, after missing a week of VFL footy. "Horses for courses" sure, but you want to make sure the horse hasn't missed his leadup races with a fetlock injury.

Goldsack "in" is not wise, given it would be his first game this season, after missing a week of VFL footy. "Horses for courses" sure, but you want to make sure the horse hasn't missed his leadup races with a fetlock injury.

Well if you'd read my post you would see that I asked someone to confirm whether or not he's been injured as he isn't on the injured list. No need to be a smart arse about it :thumbsu:

I know he missed the Frankston match but he's been excellent this year in the VFL. I am convinced we need another small/medium defender against the cats and he has a habit of coming in after a long time in the twos and performing.

First of all, I'm only being a smartarse because I'm discussing it with a Pies fan on the Pies board. I assume first and foremost that everything is taken in a fairly lighthearted spirit.

As to your point regarding Goldsack, I probably didn't state my case particularly well, but I wouldn't be picking Goldsack regardless of whether he missed through injury or... personal reasons (? whatever else someone might miss through). The fact is that he missed and it's not the appropriate preparation for your first game of the AFL season and a matchup against the undisputed best team of the past four years.

Prefer Ben Reid play this week, Nathan Brown to play against Brisbane with Reid having a week off then. Hawkins doesnt exactly make the most of his size, so I believe Reid can do the job

Presti for Brown

Like to see Anthony stay in the side, so if Medhurst comes in, its for Davis. Anthony taking Scarlett away from Dawes and Cloke would be lovely :thumbsu:

First of all, I'm only being a smartarse because I'm discussing it with a Pies fan on the Pies board. I assume first and foremost that everything is taken in a fairly lighthearted spirit.

As to your point regarding Goldsack, I probably didn't state my case particularly well, but I wouldn't be picking Goldsack regardless of whether he missed through injury or... personal reasons (? whatever else someone might miss through). The fact is that he missed and it's not the appropriate preparation for your first game of the AFL season and a matchup against the undisputed best team of the past four years.

He may have missed for any number of reasons. Rested possibly after coming into the season sick...possibly just pulled up slightly sore and the coaches didn't want to risk him because was required for the Geelong match...possibly for personal reasons as you said....possibly he was injured..

As to your comment about an "appropriate" preparation for playing. To an extent I agree with you but I also don't see how it's different to a player just making it to the line in round 1 and playing after being declared fit. I also don't see much difference with Wellers or Meds coming in. The fact of the matter is, Goldsack will have played less than 2 weeks before the game, I assume he's been training and it's not like he is coming off a long lay off. It's not as if he won't be match fit for the fact of missing one game. Otherwise Medhurst and Wellingham will be playing reserves this week.

I understand Geelong is good but that's exactly why we should be picking a team that is appropriate to playing them. If the Sack is fit and deemed to be required, there is absolutely no point in picking the player who isn't deemed to be required for the reasons you stated. Everyone on the squad who isn't injured bar Dick would be match-fit right now.

As to your comment about an "appropriate" preparation for playing. To an extent I agree with you but I also don't see how it's different to a player just making it to the line in round 1 and playing after being declared fit. I also don't see much difference with Wellers or Meds coming in. The fact of the matter is, Goldsack will have played less than 2 weeks before the game, I assume he's been training and it's not like he is coming off a long lay off. It's not as if he won't be match fit for the fact of missing one game. Otherwise Medhurst and Wellingham will be playing reserves this week.
Players "just making it" to the line for round 1 are coming up against other players who lack genuine match fitness, so the disparity is less.

I'm not advocating bringing in Wellingham or Medhurst for this week either for the exact same reason, as you can see above I suggested no change... although for Goldsack it's even more pertinent as he hasn't even played at AFL level this season due to injury, whereas Wellingham and Medhurst have been physically sound until now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players "just making it" to the line for round 1 are coming up against other players who lack genuine match fitness, so the disparity is less.

I'm not advocating bringing in Wellingham or Medhurst for this week either for the exact same reason, as you can see above I suggested no change... although for Goldsack it's even more pertinent as he hasn't even played at AFL level this season due to injury, whereas Wellingham and Medhurst have been physically sound until now.

I assume players can gain match fitness in preseason games?
The disparity is not less. Your comparing a player coming into round 1 having not played competitively since the previous year with a player playing 5 or 6 reserves games then having a two week break before playing again. The disparity is more and not just by a little bit.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on Wellers and Meds because I think if they are fit, they play. They are matchfit and I put Goldsack in their category also (this of course assumes they are all physically ready, otherwise they don't play).

In that case I misunderstood what you meant by "just making it to the line" for round 1. I was thinking along the lines of... say Travis Cloke who had a modified preseason after injuring a knee in Arizona and didn't play all the warm-up games.

You were thinking along the lines of Shaun Burgoyne, except getting named.

At any rate, the warm-up games are not played at anywhere near H & A intensity, so pretty much everyone is knackered during round 1 and blowing up in the 4th quarter. :D

WOW at some of the changes suggested in here.

IGNORE THE VFL GAME, no one out of that team should play this week. It would be like taking a racing driver out of junior go karts and chucking him in an F1 car the next week.

I will hand my membership ticket over to anyone who wants it if the following players play this week;

* Dick (one game back after 6 months out, cmon now)
* Goldsack (Hasn't played more then 2 games in a row at VFL level, and missed last week)
* Barham (Dumbest footballer in the history of the world, just does not think, would be embarrassed beyond belief by Geelong)
* Leigh Brown (Watch the prelim tape)
* Lockyer (Watch the prelim again)

Seriously, if any of those players are named in the senior 22 this week, I WON'T BE GOING.

I support this side, but **** me, we have to select 22 players capable of playing a role in beating the best team in the competition, and those 5 at this stage simply can not. (Dick will be able to, but not until he gets his "touch" back).

In that case I misunderstood what you meant by "just making it to the line" for round 1. I was thinking along the lines of... say Travis Cloke who had a modified preseason after injuring a knee in Arizona and didn't play all the warm-up games.

You were thinking along the lines of Shaun Burgoyne, except getting named.

At any rate, the warm-up games are not played at anywhere near H & A intensity, so pretty much everyone is knackered during round 1 and blowing up in the 4th quarter. :D

Fair enough then I suppose.

On the bolded part. I think it applies to everyone but Collingwood who were happily blowing some bulldogs away ;)

IGNORE THE VFL GAME, no one out of that team should play this week. It would be like taking a racing driver out of junior go karts and chucking him in an F1 car the next week.

I will hand my membership ticket over to anyone who wants it if the following players play this week;

* Goldsack (Hasn't played more then 2 games in a row at VFL level, and missed last week)
* Barham (Dumbest footballer in the history of the world, just does not think, would be embarrassed beyond belief by Geelong)

Seriously, if any of those players are named in the senior 22 this week, I WON'T BE GOING.

I support this side, but **** me, we have to select 22 players capable of playing a role in beating the best team in the competition, and those 5 at this stage simply can not. (Dick will be able to, but not until he gets his "touch" back).

Such anger.
Dick's been injured and I agree that most of the players above should not be selected but to say we should ignore the reserves is ridiculous. Why do we have them? Davis gets injured tomorrow and Medhurst isn't fit - let's not pick Lockyer and go in with 21 players then hey?? Seriously let's delist everyone on our VFL list because we can never win games with one of them in the team.
If the coaching staff pick one of the above I'm sure there will be a reason for it as I suggested about Goldsack. I'm sure they know more about it than we do. If you say you "support" the side and have the attitude you indicate, I'm not sure I understand the word that well.

wasn't leigh brown one of our better players in that prelim game. marked well and offered a target up forward! kicked 6 in the reserves if dawes hadn't of stepped up if would be in this week. very unlucky.
having said that i do agree with your other points. barham lacks awareness and brain fullstop reminds me of a pot smoking hippy instead of footballer.

wellingham is a better footballer than o'bree and will be swapped if he's fit!!!
presti is better than brown and should come back.

in wellingham presti
out two of caf brown or o'bree

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back