Preview Changes & Pre-Match Discussion for Round 11, 2023 vs Richmond @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally other than improving our accuracy, Finlayson in particular, I'm not actually sure where additional improvement comes from.

If you take that's from r4 onwards you will probably see that it has already improved.

Richmond aren't better than Melbourne so on paper we shouldn't need to pay better this week to win.

The only difference is it's at the G and the coaching drama at Richmond

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our game style has 100% changed. We are being far more direct and our entries into the F50 have improved substantially. We are not over possessing it, are definitely playing faster, we are getting out the front of contests and getting the ball inside 50 forward and deep quickly. It's meaning our wingers certainly aren't as involved as they have been in the past.

Going to be interesting to see if we can maintain that.

Personally other than improving our accuracy, Finlayson in particular, I'm not actually sure where additional improvement comes from.

I suspect our ability to transition the ball from D50 to F50 would be statistically poor. Especially in slow plays or from kick outs. During open play, if we intercept off half back we're lethal. Outside of that maybe some general better disposal when moving the ball in that ping pong style game, often when it gets loose like that and the ball is going end to end we just can't string together some good touches and hurt the opposition.

Then it's only about personnel from there, having a ruck would help, even if Lycett could just keep up last week's form that'd be good. Also Marshall getting out of his funk would be very helpful, maybe if Fantasia could get fit and hit form? Lastly maybe Wines and Boak ramp it up. Outside of that, I feel like there's not a heap of improvement, the midfield is absolutely firing now.
I think there is lots of scope for collective and individual improvement.

Team improvement will firstly come if we keep building belief from beating better sides. The next step is to go from scrapping and fighting out tight wins against these sides to doing it more comfortably, in particular by putting on more scoreboard pressure - as you point out by better conversion.

Secondly, our mids are still a young group and haven’t played much together, and virtually not at all to a competitive, let alone winning ruckman. Lycett’s competitiveness and consistency holds a big key between now and the end of the year, as does Dixon’s fitness and ability to pinch hit in the ruck. The option of throwing Dixon or Finlayson into ruck to break open games for us late when opposing ruckmen are tiring could be a game-changer, as it was in both rounds 4 and 5.

Similarly, the more our backline plays together, the better. Bergman and Williams have been revelations but in theory should continue to improve with experience, more confidence and familiarity with those around them. We don’t yet know just how good both can be but I would suggest they each have a very high ceiling based on their respective strengths. Similarly, although I’m not a huge fan of Farrell’s, he has produced a couple of strong defensive games against dangerous opponents when we played the Swans and Demons.

Individually, I think JHF can take a step up in the second half of this year. A lot of crap is now behind him. He’s been very good at times in almost every game - except maybe rounds 2-3. Can he go from being a 15-20 possession mid to a 20-25 possession mid with a goal every second game for the rest of 2023? Why not? It would make a big difference against the better sides.

Beside Lycett, Wines and Marshall are the two senior players who have the greatest scope for picking up their form from here on. If Marshall could somehow get back to his 2022 form, and Wines continue to build as he has done in the last two weeks, then that makes us far more competitive next time we play Collingwood or when we come up against Geelong (2x).

Similarly, have we seen the best of Rioli yet? I think he was just getting near what he can produce in the two weeks before suspension.

In terms of guys to come back into the side, Duursma is the big one. It’ll take a while for him to find his fitness and form when he returns, but he was looking much better before getting injured and adds to this midfield group - supporting backs and forwards too - in a way that Bonner just cannot.

I don’t think we’ll see any surprises from Sinn or Jones at AFL level this year, but Burgoyne and Jackson could freshen things up if their SANFL form continues, especially if guys like Farrell or Bonner slacken off.

Fantasia is not even worth considering. His injury history makes him completely unbankable, while his career to date shows a downhill skier who will play well one week but go missing the next - think 2021 finals series. I have more faith in the intensity and effort that DBJ and McEntee will bring up forward than what he offers, especially if we get Rioli and SPP providing the more mercurial stuff.

I’m wary of the tigers with the dimma farewell and the fact they aren’t as bad as their win loss and ladder position suggests, but they aren’t really the big massive test we are talking them up as.

Not saying we will definitely win, but these are the games we absolutely should win and after our win against a much stronger opponent last Friday we should be confident.

The mcg on a Sunday arvo against a 14th place team, I doubt it’s going to be this hugely intimidating cauldron either.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The question is what ramifications will the Hardwick resignation have for us? Will we catch Richmond in a state of disarray or will they be fired up for Damien?

At this stage no one is sure if Hardwick will be coaching this weekend or if his resignation is effective immediately.

I’m wary of the tigers with the dimma farewell and the fact they aren’t as bad as their win loss and ladder position suggests, but they aren’t really the big massive test we are talking them up as.

Not saying we will definitely win, but these are the games we absolutely should win and after our win against a much stronger opponent last Friday we should be confident.

The mcg on a Sunday arvo against a 14th place team, I doubt it’s going to be this hugely intimidating cauldron either.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
yes the other option is that Richmond is an out of control express train or a rudderless ship or a rabble. What is it again, 3rd against 14th! Come on guys, it’s a no brainer!

The question is what ramifications will the Hardwick resignation have for us? Will we catch Richmond in a state of disarray or will they be fired up for Damien?

At this stage no one is sure if Hardwick will be coaching this weekend or if his resignation is effective immediately.
They will be fired up and I reckon he will be coaching this weekend 😪

Imagine going back to the end of that game with the news that 9 years later one of those two teams would have 3 Premierships and be farewelling their coach and the other team would have 0 grand final appearances and their coach is still hanging around like a cockroach.

What a time to be alive

Yeah but look at how stable we are now compared to them.

The Viney slide tackle not getting anything is ridiculous. Similar to the Kossie Pickett one, an obscenely dangerous act that was extremely lucky not to cause serious damage for the other player.

Yet Ryan Burton gets 2 weeks for a hypothetical worse tackle he nearly did that could have hurt poor Jamie Elliott.

The Viney slide tackle not getting anything is ridiculous. Similar to the Kossie Pickett one, an obscenely dangerous act that was extremely lucky not to cause serious damage for the other player.

Yet Ryan Burton gets 2 weeks for a hypothetical worse tackle he nearly did that could have hurt poor Jamie Elliott.
Houston could have sustained very serious leg damage in that play. If anything was reportable in that game, it was that incident.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he is coaching this week
I haven't seen that anywhere, but he was not wearing branded gear during the presser, he's gone already.

I was listening to Buckley's chat with Whalley this morning and Bucks was very keen on the idea of Dimma getting a valedictory game this week - "They'd get 90 thousand there I reckon!" But that was before Dimma's press conference. I haven't listened to that, but saw this comment at the end of a really stupid article about Koch/Hinkley:

The Power will head to the MCG on Saturday afternoon for a date with the Tigers.

Hardwick will not be there.

I50 efficiency is measured as shots on goal per I50. As an example:

I50s: 30
Shots on goal: 20
Score: 5.15

I50 efficiency: 67%
Goal accuracy: 25%
Thank you. Had a bit of fun and became slightly more knowledgeable - a good day. Hard to believe we're only 15th for goal accuracy after the Essendon game in particular. Harry McKay one person we can thank.

Has Bonner ever been more than a depth player? He can be harmlessly added or dropped as needed. I'd go on but it's the wrong thread for that.
Every time it looks like he’s going to cement his spot he gets injured!!

"The three-time All-Australian coach didn't want a send-off game against his old side Port Adelaide on Sunday afternoon, preferring to go with his children and allow interim coach Andrew McQualter to start the task of keeping Richmond's finals hopes alive in the second half of the season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back