Preview Changes & Pre-Match Discussion for Round 11, 2023 vs Richmond @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any statistical evidence to suggest a team giving a coach a farewell game is actually more difficult to beat.

Yeah I can definitely see that they’d be fired up, we even gave Collingwood a run for their money in 2010 for a half.

But on the flip side it is also an admission that their season is toast and they’ve potentially given up.

Gws went from bad to worse last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Is there any statistical evidence to suggest a team giving a coach a farewell game is actually more difficult to beat.

Yeah I can definitely see that they’d be fired up, we even gave Collingwood a run for their money in 2010 for a half.

But on the flip side it is also an admission that their season is toast and they’ve potentially given up.

Gws went from bad to worse last year.

I’m no stats whiz but we’ve been on the receiving end of new coaches on quite a few times lately! Hasn’t often gone well.

Jonas out is a benefit. He has lost a step, considering he was never quick thats saying something. The one good game he has had was against the corpse of North’s fwd line. He has been dropping his marks and spoiling team mates all season.

Stay sharp! The Win-loss record for coaches in their first game is actually quite favorable, so we'll still have to be at 100% to top them this Sunday.

And even if he does coach then that'll also make the players more fiery to send him off well.

Either way we need to prepare for an unexpected surprise challenge otherwise it'll be another Hinkley style loss under expectations.

I just hope we are still not spooked by the Richmond aura that clearly doesn’t exist anymore. If you put Richmond’s recent results in a gold coast guernsey we would be talking percentage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at stats

Interesting we are 18th in the comp for marks
But 4th for marks inside 50

17th for disposal efficiency and 15th for goal accuracy

17th for total disposals (so not only does of efficiency suck we don’t get our hands on the ball that often)

2nd for efficiency inside 50.

Still heaps of room for improvement.

Just looking at stats

17th for total disposals (so not only does of efficiency suck we don’t get our hands on the ball that often)

We play direct which means we don't hold on to the ball and get heaps of uncontested possession. It is a feature not a bug.

Just our luck to get them now.
It's a darn good test of how gritty and tough we really are.
I don't mind it. We will face the best the Tigers have to offer with their current playing personnel. Won't be easy but in reality we should be forewarned enough to bring a very intense approach to the contest. It will be like a cauldron at the MCG - just as it was against Collingwood in round 2, and like it would be in any MCG final.

Good time to be getting Dixon, Marshall and Rioli back. Hopefully Boak is well enough to play. Let's do it.

Just looking at stats

Our game style has 100% changed. We are being far more direct and our entries into the F50 have improved substantially. We are not over possessing it, are definitely playing faster, we are getting out the front of contests and getting the ball inside 50 forward and deep quickly. It's meaning our wingers certainly aren't as involved as they have been in the past.

Going to be interesting to see if we can maintain that.

Personally other than improving our accuracy, Finlayson in particular, I'm not actually sure where additional improvement comes from.

I suspect our ability to transition the ball from D50 to F50 would be statistically poor. Especially in slow plays or from kick outs. During open play, if we intercept off half back we're lethal. Outside of that maybe some general better disposal when moving the ball in that ping pong style game, often when it gets loose like that and the ball is going end to end we just can't string together some good touches and hurt the opposition.

Then it's only about personnel from there, having a ruck would help, even if Lycett could just keep up last week's form that'd be good. Also Marshall getting out of his funk would be very helpful, maybe if Fantasia could get fit and hit form? Lastly maybe Wines and Boak ramp it up. Outside of that, I feel like there's not a heap of improvement, the midfield is absolutely firing now.

I definitely didn’t think that through!

Can we have a mulligan on the 2014 coin toss as steak knives?

Imagine going back to the end of that game with the news that 9 years later one of those two teams would have 3 Premierships and be farewelling their coach and the other team would have 0 grand final appearances and their coach is still hanging around like a cockroach.

What a time to be alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back