Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - GRAND FINAL vs. Brisbane MCG, 2:30pm Sat 30/09

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big statistic that says we should be looking for another ruck over the off-season if we want to play two rucks.
Frampton

Unless we are willing to completely fall off the cliff in a couple of years we can't overload with depth - we've got to try to get some future players in

As I do the maths, I can see Ginni missing out. If we worry about under done players, well he's played bugger all in the last3 weeks. Especially if adams comes in. It's impossible to work out but ginni is going to be very unlucky
Maths?
McStay out for Adams
Gin stays as sub.

It’s not trigonometry…

Chatting with my son and he thinks Frampton as second ruck Cameron to deep forward and Coxy rotating with Billy. You then have the option if it's not working to shuffle the team as Frampton can go back or forward at a pinch. Cameron is capable of clunking a contested mark and seemed to have turned the corner with his marking last Friday night.

I know Fly is a big fan of Krueger but surely the risk outweighs the reward.
Like this.

As I do the maths, I can see Ginni missing out. If we worry about under done players, well he's played bugger all in the last3 weeks. Especially if adams comes in. It's impossible to work out but ginni is going to be very unlucky
The sub does extra work to keep his conditioning up, probably can do more fitness work as not as many hits to recover from. And also in Ginnis case is showing no signs of needing more match play to keep up to the game speed.

Frampton

Unless we are willing to completely fall off the cliff in a couple of years we can't overload with depth - we've got to try to get some future players in
We've got Steene and Begg who will start to impact in a year or two.
I think Oscar, in particular is going to be very good.

Hoping this is an omen and apologies for sharing in this thread(not sure where it would belong).. Got home from work today and sitting on my front step was this little man…
686B8264-D94D-4D96-95C3-CD2054ACF1EB.jpeg
Was able to walk up to him and pat him. First thought was injured but called the wildlife contact ( made sure they did not support lions before i explained the situation) and they advised based on photos and videos that it was a young one that has just not learnt to fly yet. They told us that leaving him out was a risk as cats could get him and that we needed to get him into a box ( he has water and air holes) and keep him in garage to ensure safety. Apparently this is very common this time of year and that the parents will eventually come back and feed him but is probably 2 days away from flying. We need put him back in the same spot we found him in the morning so parents can find him. So for the next 24-48 hours we are proud foster parents of our first magpie. We will ensure his safety and watch him fly away this week for the ultimate success! His name is Darcy and we already love him! Go pies!!! ⚫⚪⚫⚪

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chatting with my son and he thinks Frampton as second ruck Cameron to deep forward and Coxy rotating with Billy. You then have the option if it's not working to shuffle the team as Frampton can go back or forward at a pinch. Cameron is capable of clunking a contested mark and seemed to have turned the corner with his marking last Friday night.

I know Fly is a big fan of Krueger but surely the risk outweighs the reward.
The problem with this idea is that it weakens our ruck, forward line and midfield.

The problem with this idea is that it weakens our ruck, forward line and midfield.
Not really. Cameron has had little to no influence at centre bounces and general ruck contests since his return from injury. That's why Cox has taken over as our first choice. Therefore, Frampton is capable of giving similar contest and output as Cameron while allowing Darcy to push forward to use his strength which is contested marking for most of his time at our club.

Not really. Cameron has had little to no influence at centre bounces and general ruck contests since his return from injury. That's why Cox has taken over as our first choice. Therefore, Frampton is capable of giving similar contest and output as Cameron while allowing Darcy to push forward to use his strength which is contested marking for most of his time at our club.
Yea really. Cameron and Cox have been excellent together. They can push forward to help cover McStay.
Frampton is not an adequate ruck replacement for a grand final.
The midfield run will be impacted with Frampton lumbering around.

Better off to replace McStay with either Adams or Noble. We will have more run and better contested possession. We can lock the ball in and enjoy seeing Checkers and Elliott put on a show.

“He’s going well … I had a good chat to him (on Monday) about the boxes he needs to tick and what are the things that he needs to do to be available,” McRae told this masthead on Monday.

“He’s going to probably train lightly (on Tuesday) but then on Thursday, have a real crack at it.

“I am definitely a risk-taker … but also, this time of year, you’ve got to weigh up the risk and the reward. I won’t shy away from taking risks.

“If you come and watch training (on Thursday), he’ll either get through training well, or he won’t quite get there, and then obviously we’ll have a decision to make with that.

“I had a good chat to him today. He’s either going to be right or not. And if he’s right, then we’ve got a decision to make.”

Geelong made the difficult call to leave Max Holmes – who was also battling a hamstring – out of last year’s grand final, in which it prevailed over Sydney, while Swan Sam Reid and Giant Phil Davis have been risked in recent years and battled to play.

Adams’ former captain and current teammate Scott Pendlebury backed the Magpie to know within himself what was the right call.

“It’ll come down to the medicos and Tay and how he goes, but he’s got a lot of time left to get himself right and recover. Three or four days is a long time, so see how he goes.

“He’ll know. That’s why I think it’s a bit of an easier call. Because you trust him. He’ll make the right decision, and he’ll make the best decision for the group.”

Former Magpies coach Mick Malthouse said on Sunday that Billy Frampton was the ideal candidate to replace injured forward Dan McStay to maintain team balance.

Pendlebury said the team had “great depth” and that the club had been “really smart in going out and recruiting guys like that to build the depth”.

“Tay will make the right call for the group and I feel like we’ve got options to cover either way it goes,” he said.

Either Frampton or Kreuger will replace McStay. Harris Andrew will maul Mihocek otherwise. I'd go with Kreuger as he shown previously to have immediate impact because of the aggressive style he plays. Wouldn't be surprised to see Adams replacing Ginnivan as sub. Fly may feel playing Adams a full game to big of a risk and may use Adams as sub because his more versatile (midfield/forward) then Ginnivan.

I actually don't mind Cameron playing more forward mainly just another body to keep away from double teaming the other Pie forwards.... him and McStay are similar in mobility.

Just means Cox will need to play ruck all game... or swap for brief moments with Cameron for a breather

Yea really. Cameron and Cox have been excellent together. They can push forward to help cover McStay.
Frampton is not an adequate ruck replacement for a grand final.
The midfield run will be impacted with Frampton lumbering around.

Better off to replace McStay with either Adams or Noble. We will have more run and better contested possession. We can lock the ball in and enjoy seeing Checkers and Elliott put on a show.
I would love to see Checkers and Billy go crazy but it hasn't happened so far in the finals and absent another tall in McStay it will place even more pressure on them to compete in the air against bigger opponents which wears a player down.

Not sure whether the backing of my idea by Malthouse strengthens or weakens my opinion.

Former Magpies coach Mick Malthouse said on Sunday that Billy Frampton was the ideal candidate to replace injured forward Dan McStay to maintain team balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back