Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 10 vs. Port Adelaide, MCG Sun 23/05 @ 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are AFL listed players, it's not the Dimboola 3rds - there's no excuse for that sort of disposal efficiency and it's naive to suggest that coaches bare no responsibility for it. Football fundamentals like kicking and handballing ARE the coaches job to ensure the squad is up to par.
Licuria was AFL listed, so was Swan, Presti, and any number of others. Licuria was one of the hardest trainers at the club, still couldn’t figure it out.

The problem is the game has changed they now recruit athletes and try to make them footballers, it doesn’t always work. There is also a lot more pressure around the ball, although they don’t fear having their heads knocked off as much...this means you need more intelligence, skill and just generally sporting nous. These are not things you can teach. Granted you get more improvement out of lefties than you do right footers. Still if you’ve gone through TAC cup, AIS and a number of years on a senior list and you cant kick then you never will be able to kick.

Just play him and then you will find out.

I agree with your original point as it relates replacing Thomas in the 22. I'd also extend that to Cal Brown and Oli Henry based on their outputs too. It's tempting to look at alternatives up forward. I'd be concerned about exposing Ginnivan before he is ready and affecting his confidence.

Licuria was AFL listed, so was Swan, Presti, and any number of others. Licuria was one of the hardest trainers at the club, still couldn’t figure it out.

The problem is the game has changed they now recruit athletes and try to make them footballers, it doesn’t always work. There is also a lot more pressure around the ball, although they don’t fear having their heads knocked off as much...this means you need more intelligence, skill and just generally sporting nous. These are not things you can teach. Granted you get more improvement out of lefties than you do right footers. Still if you’ve gone through TAC cup, AIS and a number of years on a senior list and you cant kick then you never will be able to kick.

Oh I agree, but you're talking exceptions to the rule, Nobles total f up is not Noble generally, he doesn't burn it every week and rarely like that. With proper development, with the rest of our players footy fundamental training and development IS the responsibility of the coaching panel it should improve.

There is no known universe that all of our players are THE worst users of the ball in the comp collectively.

Oh I agree, but you're talking exceptions to the rule, Nobles total f up is not Noble generally, he doesn't burn it every week and rarely like that. With proper development, with the rest of our players footy fundamental training and development IS the responsibility of the coaching panel it should improve.

There is no known universe that all of our players are THE worst users of the ball in the comp collectively.
Ha, well yes it part method in terms of strategy and structure. So much effort causing chaos the players are spent before they can use the ball. I think also because we don’t clear the ball effectively from stoppage it means the ball carriers and those delivering into 50 are under the pump. The forwards don’t know when to lead either. It’s really a perfect storm of imperfection.

Ha, well yes it part method in terms of strategy and structure. So much effort causing chaos the players are spent before they can use the ball. I think also because we don’t clear the ball effectively from stoppage it means the ball carriers and those delivering into 50 are under the pump. The forwards don’t know when to lead either. It’s really a perfect storm of imperfection.

That's an also, our game is definitely hampering our decision making and is taxing, agreed.

Ginnivan had a game low 5 disposals yesterday. He is not ready for senior footy yet.

Yeah, coming off his best game for the season it would have been nice to see him back it up and push a claim. Didn't happen. He'll need to get some VFL consistency before he's in the frame.

These are AFL listed players, it's not the Dimboola 3rds - there's no excuse for that sort of disposal efficiency and it's naive to suggest that coaches bare no responsibility for it. Football fundamentals like kicking and handballing ARE the coaches job to ensure the squad is up to par.

Most of that is set in place by parents and junior coaches. Very hard to change those ingrained habits.

I think we wait a bit and hold players like Keane, Henry, Wilson & Tyler Brown. Youth need a good run to show what they have. Henry received poor delivery all game, Keane shows promise on the intercept and could benefit playing as that 3rd tall interceptor, it was Wilsons first game and Tyler Brown is a good ball-winner, just needs to be smarter when he gets it. I don't want to play a guy like Mason Cox at the expense of Henry as although he will be slightly better, big Mason isn't a huge difference maker and is 30.

In - Roughead
Out - C.Brown

have to take umbrage at this - I played for the Dimboola thirds and we weren't that bad.... actually, strike that - we were pretty shit at the time.

We’re in the midst of a 3 year rebuild, we’re going to lose our entire coaching panel post season and should be making hard calls on every bloke over 30 on our list. Despite that people are talking about dropping Henry and picking Cox? Whatever problem he’s the solution to it is nowhere near as big as everything else we have going on.

Out: Wilson and Brown
In: Roughead and Murphy

If Murphy wasn’t returning I’d have kept Wilson in because the SCG with the way we used our numbers yesterday is the hardest transition to senior footy you’ll get. The lack of space was daunting even for our established senior players. I think the other out is self explanatory. We’ve persisted with WHE, JT and Brown who’ve given us two fifths of fu** all until WHE stood up yesterday so let’s show Henry the same courtesy because in 18 months he might actually be AFL standard unlike the others.
If we want to give the same opportunity to Henry that we did WHE then we should move Henry into a role that’s suits his strengths like we did with WHE moving him onto the wing. He’s being hung out to dry playing up forward in our senior team and I don’t see how that helps his development.

Most of that is set in place by parents and junior coaches. Very hard to change those ingrained habits.

Yet players and coaches are able to improve disposal skills at the top level. Surely we can't as bad as what our disposal has been this year, Noble is not a regular burner of the ball - even Sides and Pendles botched a few and have been this year, that is apart from the discussion because that is not the norm for these players.

Surely players who kick and handball that badly regularly don't get a gig at the top level. I'd argue there is a lot of improvement in our fundamental skills, up to the coaching panel to work with the players to improve those skills to an acceptable standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rantall, McRae, Bianco, Kelly, Tohill... some of these guys need to get a look in before the bye.

Just a case of rotating players through and resting older players with niggles

Better off giving the kids a run through and finishing 2nd last than playing the senior players and finishing 3rd-4th last
GWS likes this 😀

Pre-match discussion? What’s there to discuss? Let’s face it, we’re gonna get smashed! Can’t kick a goal after half time vs Swans, I rest my case.

Leading in to the bye, we face Port, Geelong, Adelaide (in Adelaide) and Melbourne. So looks highly probable that we’ll either be 2-11 or 3-10 by then.

Surely that will seal Buckley’s fate and possibly trigger a rival bid to spill the Board?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yet players and coaches are able to improve disposal skills at the top level. Surely we can't as bad as what our disposal has been this year, Noble is not a regular burner of the ball - even Sides and Pendles botched a few and have been this year, that is apart from the discussion because that is not the norm for these players.

Surely players who kick and handball that badly regularly don't get a gig at the top level. I'd argue there is a lot of improvement in our fundamental skills, up to the coaching panel to work with the players to improve those skills to an acceptable standard.

Only ever marginal. Talk to any development coach and they'll all tell you the hardest aspect is correcting skill issues learnt as a junior.

As to whether players with poorer skill elements get a gig, always have, always will. If it was easy as you suggest every player would be Sam Mitchell good on both sides of the body. How many of those in the league?

Murphy and Roughy come straight back in

Wilson goes out, (just didn't look anywhere near it for mine) Callum goes out.

I can't see the value in picking Ollie each week just yet but, not sure what other options we even have!

Where does the sword go?
That's a mighty long sword yet nothing comes out the back.
I'm calling bullpit on this one.
Have you considered his Abs being so strong that the sword has crumpled and therefore the weapon just penetrates the skin.
Another consideration to back that theory is the excessive pain shown on his face. I would suggest a Samurai sword would be so sharp that he wouldn't feel anything. If the sword was damaged on entry it would explain the pain shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back