Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 16 vs. Gold Coast, HBS Sat 01/07, 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m watching the suns game now. If we only go with Moore we are in trouble. 3 genuine big lads
I think I'm getting sucked in by this board's preference for a tall defence as I'd usually prefer us to go in smaller. We saw the advantage today, as Adelaides third quarter today was built off a short defence that sling shotted the ball out of there.

Murphy has been fantastic defensively, but the issue for me is that you don't really want him defending the proper talls, nor getting involved in rebound. With Howe back, it's really tough in terms of selection.

I think I'm getting sucked in by this board's preference for a tall defence as I'd usually prefer us to go in smaller. We saw the advantage today, as Adelaides third quarter today was built off a short defence that sling shotted the ball out of there.

Murphy has been fantastic defensively, but the issue for me is that you don't really want him defending the proper talls, nor getting involved in rebound. With Howe back, it's really tough in terms of selection.
I’m in favour of Moore and frampton every week. But that’s just me. My concern will always be losing Moore during a game, even more so in finals. Selection is tough…

Moore played deepest in the previous two games when Billy played.
Let's see what you are trying to achieve here with your inane commentary. Would Frampton have taken Walker today if he played? And why do we apparently want our best intercept defender at fullback? If Murphy was 5cms taller and 5kgs heavier, you reckon Darcy Moore would be lining up at fullback?

I find it impossible to keep Lipinski in after such a shocking effort. Despicably bad. Johnson was poor, Crisp was poor, plenty of other forwards were quiet but have runs (Checkers, Hill). Harrison was alright, especially relative to other small fwds.

Hope we find room for both Frampton and McCreery, who absolutely deserve to play.
Frampton in as a forward for Johnson and McCreery in for Harrison. Frampton being in the team gives them the flexibility to swing him back if a forward is getting off the chain like what happened today with Tex.

Let's see what you are trying to achieve here with your inane commentary. Would Frampton have taken Walker today if he played? And why do we apparently want our best intercept defender at fullback? If Murphy was 5cms taller and 5kgs heavier, you reckon Darcy Moore would be lining up at fullback?
Yes I do. CHF/B doesn't exist anymore - shallow entries are to the boundary line. If Moore doesn't play the more central full back, he finds himself in the back pocket having less play go through him and he disrupts less attacks.

My inane commentary is pointing out that your premise is wrong. We set Moore centrally to the defence because he's a star and he plays on whoever comes his way.

Krug's in for Johnson
And Cameron must be looking over his shoulder when McStay is back he has to go out is really struggling this season

I find it impossible to keep Lipinski in after such a shocking effort. Despicably bad. Johnson was poor, Crisp was poor, plenty of other forwards were quiet but have runs (Checkers, Hill). Harrison was alright, especially relative to other small fwds.

Hope we find room for both Frampton and McCreery, who absolutely deserve to play.
No way. He is a class act. His second game back in a very tough, high-pressured game. He has an excellent footy brain and will be an asset in September.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lippinski playing reminds be again how slow and timid he is, unfortunately won’t get dropped

No idea who’s out / in
Stop with the timid talk. Some yobbo near us was abusing WHE in the third term simply because we were getting smashed and WHE is the first one to get kicked when something goes wrong. Players can have a quiet game without being timid or gutless. The Melbourne game was very physical and he stood up well in his first game for the year.

I like Harvey and I have been on his bandwagon from the start but I think he can go back to the VFL now. He is not quite up to it at the moment and I thought Fly persevered for too long. I would have had Beau on midway through the third for either HH or AJ.
I thought it was strange that Beau didn't come on earlier. Their half back line was running rings around us and set up most of that.

Not when Frampton plays, which is what I’m referring to here. Frampton would’ve taken Walker and been a considerably better matchup and it would’ve freed Moore up.
I know we want pace out of defense, but I was concerned when Frampton was omitted. It looks like Fly prefers the smaller defensive set up for rebound and flexibility and we just have to cop the fact that a gorilla will get a hold of us once in a while.
It's strange though because we pursued Frampton because we saw the need for a big- bodied defender after last year's finals campaign and we brought him in and he has done well.

I thought it was strange that Beau didn't come on earlier. Their half back line was running rings around us and set up most of that.

Same. AJ was probably the obvious choice, as we needed to get faster and Harrison, while also not getting a lot of the ball, is very quick.

With Lukosius, King and Casboult roaming inside their F50, I'd be surprised if Frampton doesn't get included.

Kreuger must also be under consideration. I think we're a KPF short forcing Johnson to play that role instead of 3rd forward. Ballard and Collins too big for Johnson again against GCS. Even with Kreuger in, Johnson would still likely get the much taller Mac Andrew as an opponent.

McCreery back into the 22. WHE the sub.

Markov and Harrison unlucky to make way.
I think Krueger is worth one more try this week. He has finally had a few games under his belt without getting injured and has kicked a few goals ( a few Joe the Goose ones in there) but if we recruited this bloke to play as a mobile tall let's give it another try. He might just click and if not McStay should be just about ready to step in.

In - Ginnivan, McCreery
Out - Harrison, Markov

Sub - Markov

Let’s not panic. Only question is whether to bring in Frampton to match up on Casboult. But feel like we’ll be too top heavy. Not sure.

Lol are you drunk? Lipinski was far from our worst and is one of the best decision makers going into the forward 50. WHE has to go he is just no good anytkme there is an actual contest he goes to water he is just nowhere. Frampton has to come in, Howe was good for a first game back but just think structurally we need Frampton there.
Are you drunk? Lol
WHE in our best 22.

I think it would be harsh to drop Markov after a good showing today. He bounced back well.

I think Frampton is a must against the Suns forward line, and I think Beau is a must to start in the 22.

Out: Maynard (injured, hope I’m wrong), Harrison
In: Frampton, McCreery
Sub: Kruger

Johnson survives one more week… if McStay was ready, straight swap.

I think it would be harsh to drop Markov after a good showing today. He bounced back well.

I think Frampton is a must against the Suns forward line, and I think Beau is a must to start in the 22.

Out: Maynard (injured, hope I’m wrong), Harrison
In: Frampton, McCreery
Sub: Kruger

Johnson survives one more week… if McStay was ready, straight swap.
Watching the replay, he seemed to cop one in the, as Richie Benaud would say, lower abdomen area, in the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back