Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 20 vs. Port Adelaide, Sat 30/07, 1:45pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we can’t beat port in Melb, we really don’t have much business playing finals. Injury list is relatively small. If we are to do anything but make up the numbers come sept, we should win. They have nothing to play for
Unfortunately, everyone who plays the ‘pies feels they have something to play for.

Unfortunately, everyone who plays the ‘pies feels they have something to play for.

Can Port get up again for another elimination final? They have been doing it for the past month, and the Geelong loss would have sucked out a fair bit of momentum from them. Wouldn't be surprised if they're a bit flat tomorrow, and we get our biggest win, points wise, since the Fremantle game...

Last edited:
If we can’t beat port in Melb, we really don’t have much business playing finals. Injury list is relatively small. If we are to do anything but make up the numbers come sept, we should win. They have nothing to play for
I’m backing the Dogs from here, but if they roll us with Richmond (AO), Essendon and Adelaide to follow they can get there. Plenty on the line still!

Melb, syd and Carlton to follow. Def could lose any number of those
Melbourne - Not as dangerous as people might think. They're defensively-minded. You beat them by limiting the impact of Gawn, Petracca and Oliver. Or you accept Oliver will run rampant but focus on the players he kicks to instead of the individual.

Sydney - Hot and cold.

Carlton - Hot and cold. Ensure Kennedy has 16 handballs as they only win when he has 14. I would vouch for him to have no handballs but he's in my Fantasy side so I need him to produce a solid performance. There is still a chance Carlton misses.

He will be getting plenty of fitness benefit by playing VFL, not mention all the training he does during the week. If that were the case, Grundy would come straight in this week

Run me through the science of that if you please?

Grundy’s managed return is less about building “fitness” and more about re-introducing him to match day conditions, contact, etc.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Grundy’s managed return is less about building “fitness” and more about re-introducing him to match day conditions, contact, etc.

I doubt there is a player in history who doesn't benefit physically by playing reserves. As for Grundy, I doubt missing 10 weeks with an injury is more about getting him match fit than it is about building fitness. I was just curious as to how you would come to the conclusion that Carmicheal would benefit more by being medical sub again rather than playing VFL

Carmichael as the sub might be a secret weapon. Less than half a game isn't an issue and he can impact the game in multiple ways as he did last week.

I doubt there is a player in history who doesn't benefit physically by playing reserves. As for Grundy, I doubt missing 10 weeks with an injury is more about getting him match fit than it is about building fitness. I was just curious as to how you would come to the conclusion that Carmicheal would benefit more by being medical sub again rather than playing VFL

Fly was adamant Grundy will be set up to succeed not fail which is why he wants him to play 2's.

Didn’t say benefit more from being sub - just that he won’t get much extra “fitness” benefit (as in increasing his ability to run out games this season) from extra vfl game time this late in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be inclined to agree with you there but fitness would be a factor as well. I'm expecting him to play forward.

True. Sports science would agree with you here. A VFL game will have the potential for Grundy to play at less intensity and therefore have a gentler recovery. During an injury, the body will begin to de-train. The fitness staff will have worked on his exercise capabilities throughout the injury, but it would not be the same as a current player.

Carmichael would not benefit from being a medical sub again. He needs to play a full match to work on his aerobic capabilities. By being a medical sub, it means you will not be working on your endurance tank that he needs to build unless a player gets injured during the early stages of a match. He played 60% game time against the Crows which is the equivalent of two and a bit quarters. Over the pre-season, they'll work on turning him into an AFL player, not a VFL/country footballer. Which is to be expected.

Carmichael as the sub might be a secret weapon. Less than half a game isn't an issue and he can impact the game in multiple ways as he did last week.
Well it would be a secret weapon if you didn't have to keep having an injury to activate him. If only we could sub out an under performer at half-time without needing to fake an injury ...

“(Insert) awareness”. Every clubs taking the piss so no reason we can’t
Couldn't it be like in under 8s where every kid has to have a turn? Otherwise it's DiScRiMiNaTiOn.

Eventually, the AFL will allow all listed players - and probably some other players with exemptions - to take to the field to ensure there is equity.

Interesting round this:

Pies win, Freo beat Melb and Rich beat Bris, all genuine chances - we are top two!

Lose and the 3 below us win, all genuine chances - we are 7th
That's why it's important to win. We're not finals lock and I'd hate to have to play Carlton for a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back