Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 23 vs. Carlton, Sun 21/08, 3:20pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. TV viewing is definitely even more excruciating!

Yes me too, I think it's because at the ground, illogical as it is, you feel more in control of the situation. In some small way you are apart of it. At home you are giving up all control of something so far removed from you, yet care so much about the outcome, and its harder to deal with. Also seeing every minute detail of the action on TV somehow makes it harder too.

Yes me too, I think it's because at the ground, illogical as it is, you feel more in control of the situation. In some small way you are apart of it. At home you are giving up all control of something so far removed from you, yet care so much about the outcome, and its harder to deal with. Also seeing every minute detail of the action on TV somehow makes it harder too.
Agree. And also because there are fundamental standards of behaviour in a social setting that forces a degree of restraint, whereas at home, without the shackles of those standards, the prospect of having to replace your TV creates anxiety.

They must be some nasty skin sores to be lumped in with eternal damnation
The same god inflicts both on unsuspecting infidels and atheists - the god of vengeance. Then just to keep those he loves on their toes, he sometimes inflicts nasty things on them too.

Last edited:

Tomorrow they’ll probably be showing the live ladder for the whole game

Not sure if they will 76. The MCC might have some reason not to. But time will tell. It sure adds another dimension to tomorrow’s game.

Reminds of when all teams played on a Saturday, and if you were at the footy you could see the scores from other games on the scoreboard. The crowd would ooh or ahh at any surprising results. I think the teams were given a number, or a letter, and you had to look it up in the Footy Record, so there was often confusion as to who the scores belonged to.

Im sure there are a few on here who remember this, and might correct me if I’ve got it wrong.

Very pre-digital and pre-just about everything else in modern footy.

Last edited:
Vividly remember Round 22 1979 at Vic Park when we needed Geelong to beat Fitzroy at Geelong to clinch the double chance. Our game was basically over and Fitzroy were 10 points ahead at 3/4 time but Geelong came from behind to win by five points. There was more attention paid to the radio broadcast from Geelong than the game going on in front of us. When Geelong hit the front in the dying minutes the tension was palpable and Collingwood clinched the double chance.

Not sure if they will 76. The MCC might have some reason not to. But time will tell. It sure adds another dimension to tomorrow’s game.

Reminds of when all teams played on a Saturday, and if you were at the footy you could see the scores from other games on the scoreboard. The crowd would ooh or ahh at any surprising results. I think the teams were given a number, or a letter, and you had to look it up in the Footy Record, so there was often confusion as to who the scores belonged to.

Im sure there are a few on here who remember this, and might correct me if I’ve got it wrong.

Yep

The letters for the other games forced you to buy a record (and not rely on newspapers for Oppo numbers)

Many of the scoreboards also had the race results

The attendant(s) pulling in the slot and putting numbers and letters on nails

Ahh, the good old days! Your recollection is correct Vicky Park . To work out the legend for the other game scores you had to buy a Football Record (cost around $1 in the late 70s) and spectators in the crowd who didn't have a Footy Record would ask you things like "which match is E and F"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know when Carlton last won a final

IIRC it was that year they scraped into finals from 9th (Essendon were disqualified) and they beat Richmond or something

Ahh, the good old days! Your recollection is correct Vicky Park . To work out the legend for the other game scores you had to buy a Football Record (cost around $1 in the late 70s) and spectators in the crowd who didn't have a Footy Record would ask you things like "which match is E and F"?
And why were the letters chosen as they were. Not all letters were used. If I recall it was something like

A v B
C v D
E v F
G v H
K v N
R v S

WTF was that all about?

Does anyone know when Carlton last won a final

When these guys were still around

The Good Dinosaur GIF by Disney Pixar

Nah, not for me, with my luck, id be stuck next to some overweight slob Bluescum fan, arrogant loudmouth, sitting next too m e in a Caaaarlton area, not putting up with that nowdays. Also I need binoculars now, to see play up other end. I now prefer with these blockbuster matches, being home, new huge 78cm TV, not getting ripped off for food an drink, few calming whiskies, no hassles, and if screaming B T, annoys me, I just mute the sound. It works well for me from home, viewing. Anyway, Go Woods, we should take it by around 16 points.

If things pan out the way they're looking at the moment (Freo getting pantsed by GWS and hopefully that continues ) there's a good chance that in the very unlikely event that we lose tomorrow:cool: , we get an immediate rematch with Carlton in the first final and Richmond have to fly to Freo. We win and we get Geelong and the double chance (Melbourne if Swans lose to Saints). Even the worst case scenario is starting to look better than it might have

If things pan out the way they're looking at the moment (Freo getting pantsed by GWS and hopefully that continues ) there's a good chance that in the very unlikely event that we lose tomorrow:cool: , we get an immediate rematch with Carlton in the first final and Richmond have to fly to Freo. We win and we get Geelong and the double chance (Melbourne if Swans lose to Saints). Even the worst case scenario is starting to look better than it might have
Freo are coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back