Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 3 vs. Geelong. Sat 02/04, 7:25pm MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, thanks for that. I look forward to seeing who the "unknown" player really is!! Neville Jetta isn't named so perhaps it's meant to be him at CHB. Not that he should be named in such a position, but with Sam Fowler chosen at CHF anything's possible!

I think the coach mentioned Jetta was a close contact, so won't be able to play VFL or coach for a week basically.

Cox is not one of them. I would have selected him for Rd 1 and I’m comfortable with how that’s played out v Cameron. Brown and Bianco had no place in our Rd 1 team, IMO.
Personally I’m not that sold on the concept that your best 22 has to be the best 22 players you have at your disposal. Sometimes coaches will quite rightly invest in players so they can properly assess their merits on the big stage. I have no problems with Bianco and Marrone ( see what I did there) getting early games .

Personally I’m not that sold on the concept that your best 22 has to be the best 22 players you have at your disposal. Sometimes coaches will quite rightly invest in players so they can properly assess their merits on the big stage. I have no problems with Bianco and Marrone ( see what I did there) getting early games .
Bianco at least showed some promise last season so I could understand the theory here but Tyler Brown has shown a whopping zero in the 4 years he’s been here.

Okay, thanks for that. I look forward to seeing who the "unknown" player really is!! Neville Jetta isn't named so perhaps it's meant to be him at CHB. Not that he should be named in such a position, but with Sam Fowler chosen at CHF anything's possible!
I note we Have gone with the Richmond policy of naming the talls along the full back and full forward lines and the smalls on the half forward and half back lines

What would you chalk the ignorance up to?

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Human nature I suppose.
Of course you don’t have a problem you were one that argued with me over it. Good news is there’s apparently a career in comedy for you instead of footy!

Human nature I suppose.

Of course you don’t have a problem you were one that argued with me over it. Good news is there’s apparently a career in comedy for you instead of footy!

I don’t keep notes over who I argued with weeks ago. It’s a bit sad if you do. I don’t recall the conversation but I doubt I have contradicted myself.

Also a bit sad if you think the club dropping a fringe/development player is somehow a victory for you because you apparently predicted it.

Er, definitely not a big call. I said McInness is about as close a like for like as we have currently. Which you then seem to completely agree with in the second half of your post by suggesting a guy already in the team is the only close likeness on the whole list ..

And in the context of the post I was relying too, Cameron and Kreuger are about as close a like to like swap as we had on offer. Again, like I said to the poster I was replying to, what are you guys suggesting we should've done definitely? It was obviously Cox or Cameron for Kreuger (aka a KPF/relieving ruck like for like - how you think these two have very little in common considering they are 2 of about 4 blokes on our list that fill that particular role is beyond me) and someone to replace a high pressure half forward - on form and options, that's clearly Reef.

I deadset have zero idea wtf you are nitpicking about?

Hmmmm, nitpicking is it to let you know I disagree with your original post and that I think it’s a big call. I’m surprised you chose to double down on it, especially the Kreuger - Cameron claim. Little did I realize that the entirety of them being indistinguishable is that they share a Forward/Ruck label. Strong case. Wouldn’t want you having to deal with more nitpicking so I’ll leave it there.

Last years match commitee would have kept Tyler Brown in because you can’t make 3 changes to a winning side. Then the week after Tyler survives again because of another injury.
On top of this they’d have dropped Henry for Rd 2 instead of Bianco because of his first three quarters. Playing Bianco forward is a blunder that I’ll forgive as long as we keep winning and bringing others through. I believe I read somewhere that Ruscoe misses today? If so it’s time to throw Bianco behind the ball.

I'm sure that explains it, but there really should be someone checking it (before publication) in case of errors. If it was a short name like Aiden Begg or Mason Cox it may have been harder to spot, but Derek Eggmolesse-Smith takes up a bit of space, and is hard not to notice!!
It's not a name that I would want to carry around for a life time. I'd be dropping the bit that sounds like a breakfast dish,

Personally I’m not that sold on the concept that your best 22 has to be the best 22 players you have at your disposal.

Absolutely!

plus …

Need to cover positional requirements (Cameron Wood was never one of our best 22 players and yet got games)

Need players who will create something that is greater than the sum of the parts (Fasolo would get dropped despite being one of our best 22 players)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On top of this they’d have dropped Henry for Rd 2 instead of Bianco because of his first three quarters. Playing Bianco forward is a blunder that I’ll forgive as long as we keep winning and bringing others through. I believe I read somewhere that Ruscoe misses today? If so it’s time to throw Bianco behind the ball.

I find myself agreeing with you more often than not Sco.

Bianco ain’t no forward and we should scrap any notion that he is. Regardless of Ruscoe’s availability Bianco should go to a back flank and looks to replicate a role that others such as Quaynor, Noble and Maynard plays when he defends small or even a Sidey type role on a wing.

Ruscoe on the other hand should be playing the role that Howe plays or Maynard when he defends medium forwards with the ability to play on a small also.

Leave that forward role to the incumbents in McCreery and Ginnivan and those coming through like Reef and Harrison.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Absolutely!

plus …

Need to cover positional requirements (Cameron Wood was never one of our best 22 players and yet got games)

Need players who will create something that is greater than the sum of the parts (Fasolo would get dropped despite being one of our best 22 players)

And sometimes young kids when they get opportunities, don’t get the opportunities in their preferred positions. Midfielders often end up starting their careers in starvation corner in the forward pocket for example. It’s happened for 100 years and it happened with Bianco.

Other times players are simply selected because a senior player is unavailable and they get a chance. Tyler brown was probably playing in his rightful position. Didn’t do great and needs more time there....as a result was the one forced out of the side with a senior player Maynard returning from suspension.

Last edited:
Jeez I’ll say it now, if we win tonight keep your September plans open.

Pies by 113.

Memories come flooding back of that famous game in 2008 where we shocked the world with a 90 point win over Geelong, the reigning drought breaking premiers and hot favourites To go back to back.

Despite having made the prelim the previous year nobody considered Collingwood to be a force, especially not in the post Buckley era. That game made everybody realise we were a premiership threat.

It's not a name that I would want to carry around for a life time. I'd be dropping the bit that sounds like a breakfast dish,
Anything which makes Brian Taylors life harder is OK with me.

Memories come flooding back of that famous game in 2008 where we shocked the world with a 90 point win over Geelong, the reigning drought breaking premiers and hot favourites To go back to back.

Despite having made the prelim the previous year nobody considered Collingwood to be a force, especially not in the post Buckley era. That game made everybody realise we were a premiership threat.
That win signalled the arrival of the 2010 Flagpies.
Man, I drank a few beers after that match.

yeah but surely they would have done selection for the line up yesterday afternoon they would have known he wouldn't play.

Yeah, was just thinking they may have had DES on the IC and then moved him to CHB when Ruscoe’s omission was confirmed and failed to delete his IC listing or replace him.

Our lack of height down back has me thinking Geelong will win this, but as long as we put in the effort and stick to our gameplan regardless, I'll be happy to see more games into the kids. West Coast at Marvel the week after so I'd be rapt with a potential 3-1 start

I think the only way we win tonight is if the midfield finds a way to get on top. Which starts with Grundy hopefully pulling his finger out

Last edited:
I'm disgusted that we've fallen out of the habit of a specific and timely game day thread.

Game day is not the same day as pre-game day, or the day before that. It feels different. And where am I to find the tip and winning margin of WalterBlaknWhte if not in a dedicated game day thread.

Henry to hoof through 4 goals. Elliott 3. Ginnivan to start feeling embarrassed about his hair during the warm-up, will have a quiet one.

Pies: 31 points.

Our lack of height down back has me thinking Geelong will win this, but as long as we put in the effort and stick to our gameplan regardless, I'll be happy to see more games into the kids. West Coast at Marvel the week after so I'd be rapt with a potential 3-1 start

I think the only way we win tonight is if the midfield finds a way to get on top. Which starts with Grundy hopefully pulling his finger out
Not really looking like a day for the key forwards and Maynard can play tall. Mids will be the worry against the hardened bodies of the cats in tough conditions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back