Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Round 7 vs. Gold Coast, MCG Sat 01/05 @ 1:45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out. Magden, Ruscoe

In. Chugg, Keane

Stick with youth

B. N.Murphy/Jo.Roughead/W.Kelly
HB. I.Quaynor/M.Keane/J.Noble
R. B.Grundy/S.Pendlebury/CL.Brown
C. J.Crisp/B.Maynard/S.Sidebottom
HF. J.Daicos/D.Moore/B.Mihocek
F. J.Thomas/D.Cameron/B.McCreery
int. I.Chugg/F.Macrae/J.Rantall/W.Hoskin-Elliott
You clearly want Gold Coast to kick a record score.

So, we have a season in which we agree, we’re not going to be competitive and it’s all about development... and we DON’T play Kelly?!?

That would be absolutely unforgivable in my view. If he is going to be a KPP for us, it starts now and continues until he drops his bundle or gets injured.

Ah it is unfortunate, I dont see a future for Will Kelly. Am yet to see that he will be a player and think, given his injuries and inexperience, he may need to build confidence at VFL level.

Henry looks good

How ruscoe plays before Tyler Brown...poulter sier or cox ill never know

Out: Ruscoe
In: de Goey

Out: Thomas
In: Poulter

I've come around to the view of some others that if Callum is to ever make it it'll be as a small inside midfielder not forward. For that to happen though he needs opportunity and the midfield time of Thomas.

Shouldn't have both in the same side anyway IMO as they're to similar a type.

Poulter might not be ready for the big time but so what we're heading for bottom 4 so it's time to keep playing the kids. Unlike our Victorian draftees he at least got to play football last season in the SANFL.

Our one remaining strength up until the last 2 weeks had been our defence but with the loss of Howe and move of Moore it's suddenly become loose and to easily scored against. Some will call for Moore to remain forward but I don't see the point in moving the current AA CHB away from that position as the ball will be spending more time in our defence than forward line for the remainder of the season owing to our weak midfield and I'd rather he have more opportunity to get involved down back than starved of opportunity up forward.

Besides the coach has taken the decision to trial Cameron in place of Cox, he was promising today and should have kicked 4 whilst up until last week young Kelly was being viewed as a developing key forward also. Let's stick with them alongside Mihocek for now I say.

Nothing across the first 6 rounds has changed my view that the time was right for Maynard to be added to the midfield group this preseason.

Someone had the gumption today to question whether he has earned the right for such a thing.

Really?

In his time at the club I'd argue not a single player has gone as hard or put their body in harms way more than Maynard.

He's earned it 10 times over.

Up until this point the beauty of Maynard has been that each season has seen him progress further as a player than the last but right now he's struggling to play up to the high level of recent years. His present form might well be temporary but to me he looks like a player longing for a change of role, he's spoken himself of a desire to play in the midfield and it could be that years of using his body as a battering ram, providing rebound and also minding a dangerous opponent is weighing him down and he needs a fresh challenge in a new role.

As we know Maynard and de Goey are best mates off field and it remains highly appealing to me the thought of both lining up together at the centre bounce, having each others back and going into battle. Hell it might well be the secret to unlocking the full potential of de Goey also.

Moving Maynard will rob our defence but boy our midfield needs greater depth, spark, strength and a player who'll be prepared to defend the younger midfield prospects coming through over the next few seasons.

Do it Bucks!

Who cares play the kids get flogged.

lots of us have tuned out and moved on to something else.
Won’t happen. Hierarchy are delusional and still think we will play finals.

Out: Ruscoe
In: de Goey

Out: Thomas
In: Poulter

I've come around to the view of some others that if Callum is to ever make it it'll be as a small inside midfielder not forward. For that to happen though he needs opportunity and the midfield time of Thomas.

Shouldn't have both in the same side anyway IMO as they're to similar a type.

Poulter might not be ready for the big time but so what we're heading for bottom 4 so it's time to keep playing the kids. Unlike our Victorian draftees he at least got to play football last season in the SANFL.

Our one remaining strength up until the last 2 weeks had been our defence but with the loss of Howe and move of Moore it's suddenly become loose and to easily scored against. Some will call for Moore to remain forward but I don't see the point in moving the current AA CHB away from that position as the ball will be spending more time in our defence than forward line for the remainder of the season owing to our weak midfield and I'd rather he have more opportunity to get involved down back than starved of opportunity up forward.

Besides the coach has taken the decision to trial Cameron in place of Cox, he was promising today and should have kicked 4 whilst up until last week young Kelly was being viewed as a developing key forward also. Let's stick with them alongside Mihocek for now I say.

Nothing across the first 6 rounds has changed my view that the time was right for Maynard to be added to the midfield group this preseason.

Someone had the gumption today to question whether he has earned the right for such a thing.

Really?

In his time at the club I'd argue not a single player has gone as hard or put their body in harms way more than Maynard.

He's earned it 10 times over.

Up until this point the beauty of Maynard has been that each season has seen him progress further as a player than the last but right now he's struggling to play up to the high level of recent years. His present form might well be temporary but to me he looks like a player longing for a change of role, he's spoken himself of a desire to play in the midfield and it could be that years of using his body as a battering ram, providing rebound and also minding a dangerous opponent is weighing him down and he needs a fresh challenge in a new role.

As we know Maynard and de Goey are best mates off field and it remains highly appealing to me the thought of both lining up together at the centre bounce, having each others back and going into battle. Hell it might well be the secret to unlocking the full potential of de Goey also.

Moving Maynard will rob our defence but boy our midfield needs greater depth, spark, strength and a player who'll be prepared to defend the younger midfield prospects coming through over the next few seasons.

Do it Bucks!
This is what I find so infuriating about Buckley. We lack big bodies in the middle and continue to get smashed in there. We are losing. Maynard has lost all confidence in his kicking in the back half and it is flowing through to his overall game. Why wouldn't you give him fifteen minutes in the middle and run any number of options off the back flank and just see if he clicks as a tough, bullish inside mid. But no. Nothing happens. Mindboggling.

I really think coaches are so overrated at times. They speak in elitist coach lingo which is meant to indicate to the plebs just how ignorant and stupid we are about the intricacies of the game, yet time and again, my mates and I call for changes which they finally make or criticize selections and are proven to be %100 justified by their performance on game day. yet the same crap will be repeated a week later. It's not rocket science. Sheedy loved to throw things around and see if he can concoct a little magic on a bad day. He never died wondering.

In: Poulter, De Goey
Out: Madgen, Ruscoe
Move Murphy to the backline and Poulter to the wing

Move Sidebottom up forward and Rantall to the middle, Pendles down back Crisp to the middle.

Like your thinking mike, but Bucks would get dizzy just moving the magnets on the board let alone actually making the positional moves

This is what I find so infuriating about Buckley. We lack big bodies in the middle and continue to get smashed in there. We are losing. Maynard has lost all confidence in his kicking in the back half and it is flowing through to his overall game. Why wouldn't you give him fifteen minutes in the middle and run any number of options off the back flank and just see if he clicks as a tough, bullish inside mid. But no. Nothing happens. Mindboggling.

I really think coaches are so overrated at times. They speak in elitist coach lingo which is meant to indicate to the plebs just how ignorant and stupid we are about the intricacies of the game, yet time and again, my mates and I call for changes which they finally make or criticize selections and are proven to be %100 justified by their performance on game day. yet the same crap will be repeated a week later. It's not rocket science. Sheedy loved to throw things around and see if he can concoct a little magic on a bad day. He never died wondering.
Given our lack of big bodies in the middle, why wasn't Sier played?

Given our lack of big bodies in the middle, why wasn't Sier played?
I’d sooner watch Quaynor played in there. He’s quick and evasive, super damaging kicking...

Shuffling players in and out is like moving deck chairs on The Titanic. The ship’s going down regardless.

We need a complete clean-out of the club. New Board. New coaches. New recruiters. The lot.

But, in the absence of that......

OUT Ruscoe C.Brown Madgen Rantall
IN DeGoey Greenwood Sier Poulter

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just hope we stick with kids and not just pull them out like we did with Henry. You look today at parish - tore it up. He wasn’t that great in his first few seasons - he was fantastic today. Hope we can do something similar with rantall, macrae, mccreery.

Hope changes are as follows:
Out: Madgen, C.Brown, Ruscoe
In: Keane, T.Brown, JDG

Starting to see the decline of pendles and Sidebottom - it hurts, but Father Time is undefeated

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If I had my way given our injuries and this crap season

Maynard Roughead Keane
Quaynor Moore Noble
Murphy Pendles Daicos
DeGoey Mihocek WHE
Macreey Cameron Sidebottom

Grundy Crisp Sier

Int Macrae Randall Greenwood C Brown

With Howe out and the abysmal form of Maynard the experiment with Moore will need to wait

Out Magden Thomas Ruscoe
In Keane Greenwood Sier

In: Poulter, Greenwood, DeGoey
Out: Brown, Madgen, Ruscoe

FB: Greenwood, Roughead, Maynard
HB: Crisp, Kelly, Murphy
C: Quaynor, Pendles, Poulter
HF: DeGoey, Cameron, Mihocek
FF: McCreery, Moore, Sidebottom
R: Grundy, Macrae, Daicos

Bench: Rantall, WHE, Thomas, Noble

Out - Magden, Ruscoe, C.Brown

In - De Goey, Poulter, Greenwood

Brayden Maynard is very lucky the club is ****ed right now - otherwise he's in the magoos.

So, we have a season in which we agree, we’re not going to be competitive and it’s all about development... and we DON’T play Kelly?!?

That would be absolutely unforgivable in my view. If he is going to be a KPP for us, it starts now and continues until he drops his bundle or gets injured.

Even developing players need to earn their spot. Haven’t seen anything in Kelly’s 2 games.

If he continues to get games, I take comfort knowing that the coaches are seeing something in him that I can’t.

Last edited:
Would love to see Poulter in but they might give him another week, at least.

De Goey for Ruscoe, not too sure on any others right now. No Mayne or Greenwood for me

And please play Rantall and Macrae around the middle a bit more

Personnel is largely irrelevant, we play a game style that is pretty much unwinnable.

Failing to hit targets has nothing to do with game style.

Don’t think there’ll be too many changes this week.

JDG will be back. T Brown and Sier in the mix.

Ruscoe and Madge the 2 under the gun. Ruscoe was very poor today. Especially his attitude and his defensive work rate was non-existent. Madge has his best game against GWS but has gone backwards each game since.

Macrae was very quiet but I’d give another week. I’d give Rantall another crack with more centre square time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back