Preview Changes/Preview v Carlton @MCG – Semi Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just know that when Grundy gets traded, Max will go down with yet another injury and Kyah Farris-White will become our #1 ruck by default

You just know that when Grundy gets traded, Max will go down with yet another injury and Kyah Farris-White will become our #1 ruck by default
It's why Tim English will be such a handy pick up.

No we didn’t. It should have been an all out Donnybrook that was aimed at totally rattling Collingwood. No surprise that Viney had a good go. If it means thousands in fines but we beat Collingwood, great. I’ll write a cheque contributing.

Not enough was done. And of all clubs, *en Collingwood.
agreed. it should've been an all in. not one dees fan would've cared if we conceded a goal.

Can only assume they're expecting jabs to work well on Gawn's injury because i've had a broken toe in what sounds like a similar spot and it really bloody hurts to put pressure on for several weeks.

Makes me think it would be prudent to play Grundy as sub if he doesn't make the 22, as much as a ruck as sub risks backfiring. Having Turner/Joel Smith ruck for most of the game would be a disaster if Max can't stay out there or is struggling to contribute.

I already think that we won't lose anything on the Grundy trade so it's no harm done, but if Grundy was to play a good game providing ruck cover in a big final that Max missed or was incapacitated in, that alone would make the trade worthwhile (plus bolster his trade value)

Can only assume they're expecting jabs to work well on Gawn's injury because i've had a broken toe in what sounds like a similar spot and it really bloody hurts to put pressure on for several weeks.

Makes me think it would be prudent to play Grundy as sub if he doesn't make the 22, as much as a ruck as sub risks backfiring. Having Turner/Joel Smith ruck for most of the game would be a disaster if Max can't stay out there or is struggling to contribute.

I already think that we won't lose anything on the Grundy trade so it's no harm done, but if Grundy was to play a good game providing ruck cover in a big final that Max missed or was incapacitated in, that alone would make the trade worthwhile (plus bolster his trade value)
Mate I think Grundy as sub is a terrible idea. Either Gawns fit enough to play or just drop him for Grundy then. That sub can be a game changer and having a ruck there if we say lose Trac early to a hammy just makes us worse. I'd rather us just lose clearances and play a different style if we had too

Mate I think Grundy as sub is a terrible idea. Either Gawns fit enough to play or just drop him for Grundy then. That sub can be a game changer and having a ruck there if we say lose Trac early to a hammy just makes us worse. I'd rather us just lose clearances and play a different style if we had too

Yeah I think it could go either way but I don't think our mids are flexible enough to go from Gawn to having oppo ruckmen grabbing the ball out of the ruck and doing as they want.

I just don't think there's any way Gawn won't put his hand up to play, and to be fair to him I don't know that there's a realistic way to properly test out a broken toe. If he plays but can't cover ground and is hobbling around then I'd prefer to have Grundy to come on.

I think if Grundy was sub and a midfielder went down we'd give Sparrow/Kosi/Riv and whoever replaces Gus more midfield minutes. Worst case scenario Grundy plays deep forward which, as much as many won't like it, would be being considered as an option to start the game anyway.

Yeah I think it could go either way but I don't think our mids are flexible enough to go from Gawn to having oppo ruckmen grabbing the ball out of the ruck and doing as they want.

I just don't think there's any way Gawn won't put his hand up to play, and to be fair to him I don't know that there's a realistic way to properly test out a broken toe. If he plays but can't cover ground and is hobbling around then I'd prefer to have Grundy to come on.

I think if Grundy was sub and a midfielder went down we'd give Sparrow/Kosi/Riv and whoever replaces Gus more midfield minutes. Worst case scenario Grundy plays deep forward which, as much as many won't like it, would be being considered as an option to start the game anyway.
Think in that scenario I'd rather him just start deep forward so we can take him off if Gawns going ok or Gawn if the opposite

honest question guys, did we fly the flag enough throughout the Maynard ordeal? I thought we were a little weak. hopefully this week there a bit more fight in us

It’s ironic in a game where Balls Grinter reportedly gave the boys a rev up pre the qualifying final that it was the opposition who ‘Grintered’ one of our blokes in the first ten minutes of it.

We are a tough, head over the footy team no one could argue with that but we do lack a bit of old fashioned mongrel. There’s still a time and place for it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think in that scenario I'd rather him just start deep forward so we can take him off if Gawns going ok or Gawn if the opposite

Yep could do that too, you wouldn't start Turner in that circumstance. Turner as sub in case Gawn gets subbed off, or he goes back and pushes Riv into the midfield if its a mid that goes down.

I guess my major point is that if Gawn is under an injury cloud and we go in shorter up forward you'd have to have a taller player as sub.

Announcing the Gawn and Oliver stuff is annoying to make public. I'd also rather not know as a supporter as this gives me 'rushing an injured Petracca in the 2022 Finals' vibes

Goody was very coy in his presser about the injuries. Said he wouldn't be announcing our medicals to the public - maybe the Gawn news was leaked and they didn't want it out there?

Don't think they would want that info known in the public domain.

Goody was very coy in his presser about the injuries. Said he wouldn't be announcing our medicals to the public - maybe the Gawn news was leaked and they didn't want it out there?

Don't think they would want that info known in the public domain.
Was Clint on the podcast this week or something?

It’s ironic in a game where Balls Grinter reportedly gave the boys a rev up pre the qualifying final that it was the opposition who ‘Grintered’ one of our blokes in the first ten minutes of it.

We are a tough, head over the footy team no one could argue with that but we do lack a bit of old fashioned mongrel. There’s still a time and place for it.
agreed. it's the first time in years where I've wanted nathan carrol back or Brock McLean or Brent Moloney. Where the hell was Steven May. It really should've been an all in.

agreed. it's the first time in years where I've wanted nathan carrol back or Brock McLean or Brent Moloney. Where the hell was Steven May. It really should've been an all in.
Everything is shit in hindsight when you lose, if we won I doubt anyone even brings it up.

Hell I've heard people say that Viney wasted too much energy doing it and that's why he had a crappy game

If it was Hawthorn Dermott Brereton would’ve been down in the rooms at halftime telling blokes they must not allow Maynard to leave the field standing upright. Save for the Viney remonstration I thought our response was weak, too.

Add ‘Wrecker’ Whelan to your list. We’re missing a couple of these types on our list. Who get the opposition second guessing a bit.

Last edited:
Everything is s**t in hindsight when you lose, if we won I doubt anyone even brings it up.

Hell I've heard people say that Viney wasted too much energy doing it and that's why he had a crappy game
I thought Viney went a bit soft too. He was backing away pretty fast from Maynard. The whole team went way too soft. You don't get those opportunities back. I don't think anyone would've cared if someone ran straight through Maynard and we conceded a goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back