Preview Changes: R5 vs Carlton, Thursday April 13, 7.10pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Which of these players come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Facebook nuffies think Fog should come back via the SANFL.

"You don't change a winning side"

SMH

I'd go Pedlar in for McHenry
Fog in for Gollant
McAdam in for Sholl. Unfortunately for Sholl, Jones was better and both are fighting for the one spot
Schoenberg out of the 23. Needs a longer stint in the two's.

Sholl or McHenry sub

A different approach to thinking about selection.

Most likely ins (in order):
  • Pedlar
  • McAdam
  • Fog (coaches will be tempted to rest him again)
  • Berry (ditto)

Most likely outs (in order):
  • Gollant
  • Schoenberg
  • Sholl
  • McHenry
  • Murphy

I reckon two changes this week, so the first two from each list.

Sub to be McHenry or Murphy

The Facebook nuffies think Fog should come back via the SANFL.

"You don't change a winning side"

SMH

I'd go Pedlar in for McHenry
Fog in for Gollant
McAdam in for Sholl. Unfortunately for Sholl, Jones was better and both are fighting for the one spot
Schoenberg out of the 23. Needs a longer stint in the two's.

Sholl or McHenry sub
Is Mcadam playing wing? Sholl plays wing, Jones has been playing on ball / wing/ hbf. Who gets shuffled around for this to happen? Sholl & Jones's pace has been important in our wins

Is Mcadam playing wing? Sholl plays wing, Jones has been playing on ball / wing/ hbf. Who gets shuffled around for this to happen? Sholl & Jones's pace has been important in our wins
Jones/Soligo/Sloane/Hinge take care of the wings.

Soligo to spend less time in the forward line.

Jones/Soligo/Sloane/Hinge take care of the wings.

Soligo to spend less time in the forward line.
72% of Soligo's touches last week were in the defensive 50. Jones 82%, Hinge 95% & Sloane 61%. Not sure how we can replace sholl with a forward and it not create a team balance issue. He ran the 2nd most last game, one of the best changes we made was when Mcadam went out to bring in more speed

72% of Soligo's touches last week were in the defensive 50. Jones 82%, Hinge 95% & Sloane 61%. Not sure how we can replace sholl with a forward and it not create a team balance issue. He ran the 2nd most last game, one of the best changes we made was when Mcadam went out to bring in more speed
That's a fair point.

McAdam as sub instead maybe?

Ultimately I think we need to look at the team and pick the best players, then arrange the positions to suit.

So,
IN:
Pedlar
McAdam
Fog

OUT:
Sholl
Gollant
Milera
Schoenberg (sub)

My team then:

Michalanney Butts Hinge
Smith Murray Doedee
Jones Laird Sloane
Rankine Walker Thilthorpe
McAdam Fogarty Pedlar

1R: ROB Dawson Rachele

INT: Murphy Keays Soligo McHenry

We have enough talls to cover forward/ruck.
Jones can swing into defence if needed.
Plenty of run available.
The only concern is that we are a rotation short in defence. Which means we probably keep Milera, but on form he should be out of the team.

A different approach to thinking about selection.

Most likely ins (in order):
  • Pedlar
  • McAdam
  • Fog (coaches will be tempted to rest him again)
  • Berry (ditto)

Most likely outs (in order):
  • Gollant
  • Schoenberg
  • Sholl
  • McHenry
  • Murphy

I reckon two changes this week, so the first two from each list.

Sub to be McHenry or Murphy
I've said it before but Gollant and McAdam is not a straight swap.

Gollant and Fog is.

Unless you park TT as a permanent forward, swapping Gollant with McAdam leaves us with Tex as a KPF. TT has been good roaming the ground and as second ruck.

McAdam might have differences with Gollant but the straight swap makes the balance of the forward line wrong.

We need two KPF's with TT becoming the third when not playing up the ground and/or rucking.

Ultimately I think we need to look at the team and pick the best players, then arrange the positions to suit.

So,
IN:
Pedlar
McAdam
Fog

OUT:
Sholl
Gollant
Milera
Schoenberg (sub)

My team then:

Michalanney Butts Hinge
Smith Murray Doedee
Jones Laird Sloane
Rankine Walker Thilthorpe
McAdam Fogarty Pedlar

1R: ROB Dawson Rachele

INT: Murphy Keays Soligo McHenry

We have enough talls to cover forward/ruck.
Jones can swing into defence if needed.
Plenty of run available.
The only concern is that we are a rotation short in defence. Which means we probably keep Milera, but on form he should be out of the team.
I don't mind Milera out, he has been average. My only issue with your team is we have 2 forwards, a forward mid and a wing / mid on the bench. So the only real defensive backup is Dawson and we really don't want to see that... I know Jones can play that role but don't think he can when we don't have a spare wing rotation in the team.

I've said it before but Gollant and McAdam is not a straight swap.

Gollant and Fog is.

Unless you park TT as a permanent forward, swapping Gollant with McAdam leaves us with Tex as a KPF. TT has been good roaming the ground and as second ruck.

McAdam might have differences with Gollant but the straight swap makes the balance of the forward line wrong.

We need two KPF's with TT becoming the third when not playing up the ground and/or rucking.
I wish there was a bullseye reaction. This is 100% correct.

Another issue is IMO we don't have a straight swap for McAdam (I think he really plays the 3rd tall and impacts FOG/ RT)

Pedlar played the hybrid forward against Port and played it really well. So if McAdam comes back in he will have to play a different position as the forward line is pretty full already

McAdam doesn't do SANFL. They'll bring him in for one of Ned/Sholl/Murphy I reckon.
He does, because he was dropped to the SANFL last year. with Pedlar potentially coming back in i can't see an obvious spot for McAdam at the moment. Scholl playing on a wing. Ned/Murphy/Pedlar are playing higher up the ground and up around stoppages, which doesn't really suit McAdam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish there was a bullseye reaction. This is 100% correct.

Another issue is IMO we don't have a straight swap for McAdam (I think he really plays the 3rd tall and impacts FOG/ RT)

Pedlar played the hybrid forward against Port and played it really well. So if McAdam comes back in he will have to play a different position as the forward line is pretty full already
McAdam is competing for his spot against Ned and Murph....and Izak.

Good player is our Shaneo, but our forward line looks tougher for the oppo to escape from with the higher pressure of a "Jack Russell" or two.

McAdam adds another scoring channel... but unfortunately, for both teams.

Tonight's selection will be the most interesting in years and years.

No obvious player to replace?..

I can think of three straight away.

Ned, murphy and keays.

Mcadam’s more damaging with ball in hand than all 3 of them.

And there’s no SANFL games this weekend.. so if they dont play mcadam that’ll be four weeks of football he misses..
you would think Pedlar comes back also. Murphy and Keays have been playing more up the ground, Keays in the middle at times also. My original comment was that Pedlar comes in for Ned. Keays wont be dropped. Murphy shouldn't be dropped at the moment, been pushing up to stoppages and playing well.

you would think Pedlar comes back also. Murphy and Keays have been playing more up the ground, Keays in the middle at times also. My original comment was that Pedlar comes in for Ned. Keays wont be dropped. Murphy shouldn't be dropped at the moment, been pushing up to stoppages and playing well.
I reckon Pedlar comes in for Schoenberg. Ned to sub.

McHenry could get dropped. He had an ok game, but screwed up multiple handballs to players that should have created goal scoring opportunities. His skills are just below standard.
Pedlar comes in for him.

Yet still managed to have the most score involvements and score assists of anyone in the entire match.

TT has been good roaming the ground and as second ruck.

TT was a weapon last week taking those marks in our attacking half forward of wing, especially more so given Freo are a very defensive team.

If he can just improve his passing, it will be huge against Carlton.

TT marking from 70 to 80m out from goal then kicking deep to our forward line. We have plenty of different weapons up forward that can either take the big marks or crumb the ball.

What a difference a year makes, this time we have Rankine and Rachele crumbing, instead of McMurphy.

Yet still managed to have the most score involvements and score assists of anyone in the entire match.
Coaches votes indicate they didn't think he got too much wrong and his positives far outweighed his negatives.

My thoughts exactly.

Fog for Gollant if fit.
By fit, I mean I want Fog only in if he is 100% fit, none of this bringing him in if only at 70% crap.

Fog is the future of our forward line for the next 10 years and we need to respect that more than just one game.

Excellent point. After 30+ years of clearly struggling to entice elite players to SA would we now say that only Jars would be superior to JD and Izak in our whole history for incoming trades? If so, 2/3 in the last 2 years and clearly the “trend is our friend” but then…..who is next? Once you get the hunger it becomes insatiable

McLeod for Chris Groom is a deal I believe we came out in front. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

By fit, I mean I want Fog only in if he is 100% fit, none of this bringing him in if only at 70% crap.

Fog is the future of our forward line for the next 10 years and we need to respect that more than just one game.
We have seen in the past playing players are 70% doesn't work. 100% or nothing.

plus Gollant has been great since coming in. unlucky to be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R5 vs Carlton, Thursday April 13, 7.10pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Back