Preview Changes: R7 v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

There have been more than 50 players in the AFL who have played mainly as an outside mid/wingman this season.

Please provide a comprehensive list of all the outside mids who have performed better than The RAT this year. Kicks? Disposals? Rebound 50s? Goals? Goal aissists? Tackles?

Our two wingmen, The SEED and The RAT have been as good as any team in the AFL this year.
Disposals have never been an issue for Rat, it's his attack at the contest. Something I was concerned Seedsman couldn't provide either, but he is in spades.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!

"Hart also dismissed speculation forward Riley Knight was the latest Crows player to be riddled by the club's hamstring crisis.

"No hamstring (injury), it is purely management," Hart said.

"Players don't like to miss games by being managed, but it's in the betterment for him.

"We think he's in our best side going forward and we'd like to have him for a long time."

Knight is expected to return next week to face the Power."
Thanks for posting and quoting that. I watched it and believed Hart.
Speaking of the tube, big dilemma tonight --- watch the footy (Cats vs GWS) or The Blues Bros.
Footy.
Blues Bros.
"The Band, Jake, THE BAND!!!". No dilemma at all really. I have seen the light.

Disposals have never been an issue for Rat, it's his attack at the contest. Something I was concerned Seedsman couldn't provide either, but he is in spades.

You name the metrics. Which outside mids have been performing better this season? The RAT is not a perfect footballer but he is as good as whoever else is on offer, except for the SEED this year. Kelly has been the premier outside mid over the last 12months, other wingmen have good games and games when they have virtually no influence.

I remember when our wingmen were VB and POM (Plain Old Mackay), I am more than happy with our current wingmen.

you guys give yourselves any chance saturday night?
Cliche time.
We respect, and are respected by, our foes.
We're taking it one week at a time.
It's a danger game for us.
We'll have to be at our best to win.
Because it's such an even competition *click* ... such an even competition ... *click* ... such an even competition ... ad nauseam
:p

You name the metrics. Which outside mids have been performing better this season? The RAT is not a perfect footballer but he is as good as whoever else is on offer, except for the SEED this year. Kelly has been the premier outside mid over the last 12months, other wingmen have good games and games when they have virtually no influence.

I remember when our wingmen were VB and POM (Plain Old Mackay), I am more than happy with our current wingmen.
Phillips, Polec, Gaff, Hill. Kelly was before his injury, Isaac Smith, Deledio

Phillips, Polec, Gaff, Hill. Kelly was before his injury, Isaac Smith, Deledio
Gaff has been the standout, the Eagles have played 4 games in Perth plus away matches against Carlton and the Bulldogs. Will he do his usual disappearing act once the Eagles start to have more difficult matches?

Kelly has played 3 matches, the form of the others has been similar to The RAT.
and you have only named 10% of wingmen. Does that mean The RAT is in the best 15%, Elite?

Gaff has been the standout, the Eagles have played 4 games in Perth plus away matches against Carlton and the Bulldogs. Will he do his usual disappearing act once the Eagles start to have more difficult matches?

Kelly has played 3 matches, the form of the others has been similar to The RAT.
and you have only named 10% of wingmen. Does that mean The RAT is in the best 15%, Elite?

Yes, I checked Footywire as well, I think you have embarrassed yourself with Ricky Bloody Henderson.

Yes, I checked Footywire as well, I think you have embarrassed yourself with Ricky Bloody Henderson.
Hendo is averaging very similar stats to Atkins including score involvements, disposals, goals and inside 50s. But he has more tackles and is doing it all at a higher DE.

He's been decent for Hawthorn this year

Joined April 19, 2018

???
Hi Colonel

A random Cromosome sort of logic you are displaying..

I am sure you realise BF can be READ without being a signed up member - don’t you?

I have been an avid BF reader for many years combined with passionately following the Crows since the first trial game vs Bombers in 1991 so happy to back in my judgement at times :)

Vader seemingly gets some off-side here with his willingness to make definitive calls either way and can be a little stubborn at times. But l admire non-fence sitters and think he has made a lot of good calls over the years that posters fail to recognise despite rubbing his nose in it previously (see J Petrenko). Anyway, I am sure Vader doesn’t need me talking on his behalf but the matter at hand is he has been calling -contrary to the consensus - that Hampton won’t get another year and slowly the board seems to be coming around to his thinking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hendo is averaging very similar stats to Atkins including score involvements, disposals, goals and inside 50s. But he has more tackles and is doing it all at a higher DE.

He's been decent for Hawthorn this year
The initial discussion related to the calls from some posters for Atkins to be dropped.
Not gunna happen.

The RAT and our other wingmen (The SEED this year, BNM last year) play the role differently to many other clubs. Many of the “best” wingmen in the AFL are very unaccountable. I have never suggested he is pushing for an All Australian spot but he is closer to that than he is to being dropped. His key strength is his ability to play the role and be in the right spot at the right time. He has weaknesses but IMHO the improvement in our outside players in recent years has been a big factor in our improvement.

P.S. Leave Alex alone.

The odds are someone will be injured... but if not, I'll say Fogerty, Mackay & CEY as the outs for team balance. Atkins may be under pressure too, so good competition for spots.

B: Brown, Talia, Doedee
HB: Milera, Otten, Laird
C: Seedsman, Mrouch, Sloane
HF: Lynch, Walker, Knight
HF: Betts, Jenkins, McGovern
R: Jacobs, Douglas, Gibbs
I: Kelly, Greenwood, Atkins, Gallucci

Prior to the Gold Coast game, I would have agreed with you re CEY being one of the outs, but he had some sort of game. I personally thought he was in our best 3 players on the night (and that he CLEARLY outplayed all of Laird, M Crouch and Atkins), but was fascinated to see him not earn a single coaches vote. Maybe he spent a fair bit of time opposed to D Swallow, who was Gold Coast’s best player by a country mile.

Either way, CEY’s game was elite from where I sat, and if he goes close to repeating that against Carlton, he’s not going anywhere. As far as team balance goes, he’s keeping the seat warm for Brad Crouch as a pure inside mid as far as I’m concerned. All of M Crouch, B Crouch, Greenwood, Sloane and Gibbs will play in our best 22.

Mackay only tends to get dropped after 5 terrible performances in a row, so I can’t see that happening. I think he’s entrenched, far more so than Knight.

I don’t think Atkins is under much pressure personally. Just too important to have that left sided player with nice kicking skills in the side. Undoubtedly ahead of Knight in the pecking order.

On the off chance that we get through this weekend without any injuries, AND all 3 of Walker, Sloane and Knight are available for selection against Port, I don’t think Knight is getting a gig. He will have been “managed” right out of the side.

Let’s be serious though, it’s only an off chance.

1) I would have agreed with you re CEY being one of the outs, 2) but he had some sort of game. I personally thought he was in our best 3 players on the night (and that he CLEARLY outplayed all of Laird, M Crouch and Atkins), but was fascinated to see him not earn a single coaches vote.
3) Maybe he spent a fair bit of time opposed to D Swallow, who was Gold Coast’s best player by a country mile.
4) Either way, CEY’s game was elite from where I sat
1) pre-season I posted a pic of CEY with my hope that this could be a great year for him. I thought last year before his injury he was headed for best 22, which I'd still like to see.
2) very bold statement. His stats are comparable to MCrouch, but probably not as strong as Laird or Gibbs, with Milera BOG. Stats don't tell the whole story. Not earning a single coach's vote probably has to do with his effectiveness, which brings us to
3) if he was opposed to Swallow for a fair bit of the time, and if Swallow was GC's best player, then CEY's defensive effectiveness against Swallow was lacking, which might explain 0 AFLCA votes.

4) hmmm, ok, which way were you facing? ;)

Or Knight might not play next week because he's injured (*cough* felt hamstring *cough*) and one week doesn't end up being enough...

Prior to the Gold Coast game, I would have agreed with you re CEY being one of the outs, but he had some sort of game. I personally thought he was in our best 3 players on the night (and that he CLEARLY outplayed all of Laird, M Crouch and Atkins), but was fascinated to see him not earn a single coaches vote. Maybe he spent a fair bit of time opposed to D Swallow, who was Gold Coast’s best player by a country mile.

Either way, CEY’s game was elite from where I sat, and if he goes close to repeating that against Carlton, he’s not going anywhere. As far as team balance goes, he’s keeping the seat warm for Brad Crouch as a pure inside mid as far as I’m concerned. All of M Crouch, B Crouch, Greenwood, Sloane and Gibbs will play in our best 22.

Mackay only tends to get dropped after 5 terrible performances in a row, so I can’t see that happening. I think he’s entrenched, far more so than Knight.

I don’t think Atkins is under much pressure personally. Just too important to have that left sided player with nice kicking skills in the side. Undoubtedly ahead of Knight in the pecking order.

On the off chance that we get through this weekend without any injuries, AND all 3 of Walker, Sloane and Knight are available for selection against Port, I don’t think Knight is getting a gig. He will have been “managed” right out of the side.

Let’s be serious though, it’s only an off chance.
Ok, so if Sloane and Tex comes in, who goes out?

Ok, so if Sloane and Tex comes in, who goes out?
Break the side into the 3 main groups & consider the best available 22 v fringe.

Defence (7)
Talia, Laird, Brown - givens.
Otten (no other available KPD), Doedee, Kelly - appear entrenched.
Milera - performed well, including BOG to suggests we should persist
Mackay - on the fringe

Midfield (8)
Jacobs, Sloane, Mrouch, Gibbs, Seedsman & Douglas - givens
Greenwood & Atkins - appear settled in the 22.
CEY & Mackay - appear on the fringe, but could push Greenwood & Atkins out if form drops off.

Forwards (7)
Walker, Betts, Lynch, McGovern & Jenkins - givens
Knight & Gallucci - appear to have their noses in front as the pressure forwards.
Murphy, Fogarty & Polholke fringe players who would be next in.

Return of players.
Hartigan - will come in for Otten
Brouch - will get interesting as Atkins & Greenwood most under the pump, or Gallucci if we play an extra midfielder through the forward line.
Smith - would put pressure on Milera or Kelly.

Hopefully we get to make some of these tough selection choices.

It will be fascinating to see what the selectors do if we have no injuries this weekend and Tex, Sloane and Knight are all ready to play Port.

Mackay v Knight, and possibly Greenwood v CEY, with Fogarty to come out for Tex.

Maybe Gallucci would be at risk but he was bloody impressive against the Suns.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes: R7 v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back