Changes - Rd 23 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

With all our continuing melts, I found this recent post on the Port board both bemusing and strangely familiar:

My takesway from this is that Ladhams is a monty for the M Daw medal this week.

The last few weeks have reaffirmed that there isn't enough depth in the list, the continuance to top the list with smalls and mids keeps that gap at the book ends problematic.

The team we are putting on the park isn't that different from the game at Adelaide Oval. Whilst it's difficult to cope with Josh Bruce missing, some continuity gives the guys more chance of getting their act together. I was hoping Cordy would get dropped for Crozier but Roarke for Garcia gives us some utility value.

The last few weeks have reaffirmed that there isn't enough depth in the list, the continuance to top the list with smalls and mids keeps that gap at the book ends problematic.

Only way to address the lack of depth in key position players is to trade some quality smalls and mids. Can’t afford to go and draft key position players and wait 3-4 years for them to develop. Need ready made ones.

Brought this up in the post-mortem thread. Some smartass who knows who he is dissed my questioning of training loads. There is no evidence for any benefit of increased training loads. The home and away season has the guys at peak fitness, you can't magically increase performance off that baseline.

Mental attitude is 100% the reason teams perform under pressure like they do. We are mentally weak and it manifests itself in many examples: Naughton looking at the clock when lining up for an easy shot, players going for chancy banana shots where a drop punt would have a reasonable %age.

Have a look at the belief Melbourne Storm bring to every game. Last nights game, they were 10 points down and came back twice to run out easy winners with some of their best players out injured. They have young kids in their squad who play like champions.

All the rah rah about players getting to 200, 300, 400 games. John Holmes played 621 games for Leeds at the top level (Rugby League).

AFL is getting like the Public Service of sport, too many excuses, not enough grit.

The other John Holmes managed to get up and perform under intense pressure probably even more times.

I look at the team and see Hannan, Young, Rourke and i think god no, then i look again and see Bont, Macca, Dunks, Treloar, Libba, Hunter, Keath, Caleb, Dale, Nauts, Duryea........then I'm calm again, what a f/ing team.

I look at the team and see Hannan, Young, Rourke and i think god no, then i look again and see Bont, Macca, Dunks, Treloar, Libba, Hunter, Keath, Caleb, Dale, Nauts, Duryea........then I'm calm again, what a f/ing team.

There is enough quality in the team, my main disappointment is the structure of the team basically handicaps us. If we went well structured and our quality beat their opponents we are a massive chance but when the structure means we need naughton to beat two defenders to mark or bring the ball to ground, that English will have to ruck the majority of the game especially if young gets swung back it just puts more onus on the other players to do more than just beat their own opponent.

Maybe, but the lack of depth is only at the ruck position.

We have Jamarra, Schache & Gardner out of the team as KPP options right now. They may not be the ‘answer’ but they’ve all put together quality AFL games this season. We have depth, it’s just not being used.

More Astronaught deep forward pls.

Think he is a problem for Port. Alir is good but he plays loose. He's not a body to body defender that is best utilised against a Naughton/Max King variety forward. Naughts got a hold of him last time.

McKenzie might go to him but is undersized in terms of reach.

They may put Jonas to him. Probably the one I'd personally go with if I'm hinkley. Although he himself is only 188cm.

I'd roll the dice with Young taking majority ruck time and English forward. I'd also personally bring in Schache to offer coverage around the park so I'm hopeful bev makes the late switch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe, but the lack of depth is only at the ruck position.

We have Jamarra, Schache & Gardner out of the team as KPP options right now. They may not be the ‘answer’ but they’ve all put together quality AFL games this season. We have depth, it’s just not being used.

Jamarra and Gardner are still a way off IMO needing much more development & skills progression, Schache hasnt developed as we'd hoped. At the other end the only true KPD being Keath, means you've got Cordy trying to play on a 2nd tall which he gets beaten a lot in 1v1 situations. It might not be that bad had we gone for another ruck instead of Martin & another tall/experienced KPD's, but those players are hard to come by at the present.

Jamarra and Gardner are still a way off IMO needing much more development & skills progression, Schache hasnt developed as we'd hoped. At the other end the only true KPD being Keath, means you've got Cordy trying to play on a 2nd tall which he gets beaten a lot in 1v1 situations. It might not be that bad had we gone for another ruck instead of Martin & another tall/experienced KPD's, but those players are hard to come by at the present.
My point was more that we're currently missing our starting ruckman & starting full forward. There's probably no club in the comp that could cover those two positions adequately. Every club has some sort of depth, but there's a reason why depth is considered depth in the first place.

Training load increases during season do not happen. I asked that direct question to someone and they said it’s complete BS so it’s concerning you have a coach who is even mentioning this as an excuse.
Yeah I call bullshit on that. I can categorically confirm that increased training loads do occur, even at VFL level. My local team was addressed by a Richmond VFL staff member in July 2019 who confirmed both AFL and VFL teams are in the midst of an increased training load.

Yeah I call bullshit on that. I can categorically confirm that increased training loads do occur, even at VFL level. My local team was addressed by a Richmond VFL staff member in July 2019 who confirmed both AFL and VFL teams are in the midst of an increased training load.

Lol yeah ok

I think I will believe a person presently at our club and that has been for 3 years now than you sorry

I can categorically prove that it’s true and have. Ask Sentinal.

Enjoy your day

Lol yeah ok

I think I will believe a person presently at our club and that has been for 3 years now than you sorry

I can categorically prove that it’s true and have. Ask Sentinal.

Enjoy your day
How can your source know what other clubs are doing?

Genuine question without any clue whether they are or not besides what's been discussed on here - is it possible that this is true historically but different this year? Over the past 6 years since Bevo has been in charge where we've never before comfortably approached finals in a strong position so couldn't afford to drop games.

This year they've been in a much strong position a month or two out, although perhaps if they did introduce it they may have underestimated the likelihood of dropping out of the top 4.

Not trying to find an excuse to feel better about our form drop off, I'm just curious.

Do you think my “source” would know what’s happening with training?

I have more faith in Roarke to play his role than most of our depth players.
I hope Young plays well but I have reservations about relying on him

Lol I wasn’t discussing other clubs but nice way too try wiggle out of your completely incorrect comment

Enjoy the game tonight
I don't care what you were discussing. Training loads at AFL and VFL level do increase and I believe Neil Craig (coaching Adelaide in the mid 2000s) was a trailblazer for this and was soon implemented by other clubs.

Completely incorrect comment?

Huh?

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes - Rd 23 vs Port

Remove this Banner Ad

Back