Changes v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheedy's never really sent a major defender to Tarrant. In past years guys like Danny Jacobs and Ted Richards line up next to him. I would not be surprised to see Paddy Ryder line up next to him this year. As for Pavlich, ideally Mal Michael could line up on him. If Pavlich plays deepish Mal will be well suited to him. However, if Pavlich pushes up I don't think Sheedy will have a choice but to move Fletcher on to him. If Mal can take Pavlich, that means Fletcher can play on guys like Longmuir who he can manage in a marking contest and still be damaging running off.

Only real change should be Bradley out, no other ones needed. Freo only really have Sandilands in the ruck we can afford to go without Laycock again especially with the exceptional form of Ryder. Given that Bradley really seemed to not have a specific role you could bring in pretty much anyone. Bachar played a good game in the VFL and I'd rather him come in than Dyson given that Dyson's disposal was questionable compared to the more polished Houli. Only concern with that is would Sheeds play 3 kids (Davey, Jetta and Houli) in the same side?

I guess one way of looking at is looking at the potential matchups

Pavlich - Fletch
Longmuir - Ryder
Tarrant - McPhee or Mal (not sure how Mal has gone on him in the past but Im guessing he would have played on him during those grand finals)
Crowley - McVeigh

J Carr - Pev
H Black - Stanton

They have good talls down back with McPharlin, Johnson, Parker, I dunno if we should play Johns to stretch em as no doubt theyll cover both Lloyd and Lucas as has been the case over the last 9 years. Hirdy is the X factor though.

So on that note

B McVeigh Michael Ryder

HB McPhee Fletcher NLM

C Winderlich Watson MJ

HF Monfries Lucas Lovett

F Hird Lloyd Davey

R Hille Stanton Peverill

INT: Jetta Dyson Slattery Johns

IN: Dyson Johns

OUT: Bradley Welsh (I know he played well and I do like him, but I like everyone else in there more except maybe Pev but we'll need him for a tagging job and Id like to see both Dyson and NLM in the side whom are only one's likely to be on the sidelines instead. Their run and carry would be beneficial IMO)

Johnson is suspended for 4 weeks isnt he?

No changes to be made IMO

Make Dyson hungrier I say !!! a beautiful position to be in for the Dons.... make 'em all hungry for a spot - Johns, Dempsey, Bolts, Nash, Lee, Lonergan just for gods sake do NOT play Camporeale under any circumstance - he is a lurker who is holding back the development of our younger, similar type players like Ricky Dyson, Courtenay Dempsey and I'd rather see Houli get a few runs than an old Carlton hack past his prime !!!!

DK Lillee will not be moved on his opinion on Camporeale - please refrain from posting a reply in his favour..........

No changes to be made IMO

Make Dyson hungrier I say !!! a beautiful position to be in for the Dons.... make 'em all hungry for a spot - Johns, Dempsey, Bolts, Nash, Lee, Lonergan just for gods sake do NOT play Camporeale under any circumstance - he is a lurker who is holding back the development of our younger, similar type players like Ricky Dyson, Courtenay Dempsey and I'd rather see Houli get a few runs than an old Carlton hack past his prime !!!!

DK Lillee will not be moved on his opinion on Camporeale - please refrain from posting a reply in his favour..........
Good post! Campo will hopefully be gone next year so there's no reason for him to take the spot of one of our young players. We need to give the likes of Dyson, Lonergan, Houli and Dempsey game time throughout the season.

Good post! Campo will hopefully be gone next year so there's no reason for him to take the spot of one of our young players. We need to give the likes of Dyson, Lonergan, Houli and Dempsey game time throughout the season.
Dempsey won't play this week, he's recovering well from a groin strain but there's no point doing something stupid this early in the season. Particularly with a running player like him.

Would love to see Laycock in the side but he really needs to be 100% to play given his history. If he is considered even slightly underdone he'd be risking injury. Would need to keep Kep in without him, as Ryder shouldn't be forced to be 2nd ruck (yet).

Dyson has to be considered after a great 2s game, still not sold on Winderlich.

Dempsey won't play this week, he's recovering well from a groin strain but there's no point doing something stupid this early in the season. Particularly with a running player like him.
I didn't mean play him this week. I meant that in general, Dempsey and a few other young guys should be picked ahead of Campo.

I think everyone a bit tough on Tangles Bradley, he actually played OK on Sunday.
Watson and NLM should be a bit worried about there spot in the team, Sheed's didn't give them much game time and in the past that is a sign that they could get dropped the following week.
IMO Watson out - Dyson in

I think everyone a bit tough on Tangles Bradley, he actually played OK on Sunday.
Watson and NLM should be a bit worried about there spot in the team, Sheed's didn't give them much game time and in the past that is a sign that they could get dropped the following week.
IMO Watson out - Dyson in
Watson showed last year that he's quality. One bad game does not a footballer make. I still can't believe the errors he makes when disposing by foot though, it's ridiculous for an AFL footballer who's been in the system that long to have such average kicking skills.

NLM was ok without being great. Dyson would give us more run but as I said before, he got a lot of the ball for Bendigo but he didn't hit his targets as often as you'd like. We showed on Sunday that when we pinpoint targets and hit them, we're incredibly dangerous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watson showed last year that he's quality. One bad game does not a footballer make. I still can't believe the errors he makes when disposing by foot though, it's ridiculous for an AFL footballer who's been in the system that long to have such average kicking skills.

NLM was ok without being great. Dyson would give us more run but as I said before, he got a lot of the ball for Bendigo but he didn't hit his targets as often as you'd like. We showed on Sunday that when we pinpoint targets and hit them, we're incredibly dangerous.
Watson showed last year that he improved dramaticly not that he's quality. I have mentioned watson before in a few other posts and it makes me laugh when people say he's a gun or a champion. He's a long way off both and what makes me even more p#$*ed off is that he hasn't improved 1 bit on his kicking over the pre season. That should of been the first thing he and the club should have worked on over the break

Totally agree with about Jobe he's all class, but on Sunday his disposal was awful. Still give him a spell in the 2's for a week and lets see how Dyson goes.

How about ryder on tarrent his fast and REALLY inpressed me on the weekend, i would put fletch on pavlich and mal on mcpharlin

mcpharlin is their full back. he will be playing on lloydy

sheeds won't put ryder on tarrant. the reason we picked up big mal is so that we don't have to play the young fellows on the best players.

paddy will man up on longmuir

then fletch and mal will rotate on tarrant and pavlich depending who is playing at full forward

Totally agree with about Jobe he's all class, but on Sunday his disposal was awful. Still give him a spell in the 2's for a week and lets see how Dyson goes.

a few disposals were sub-par, but certainly not all of them. The gather he made on the forward 50 in, I think, the 3rd, was all class. He was like a skilful soccer player using one touch.

I'd go in unchanged. We had no injuries, the team clicked. Give em another chance - hard to overstate how important a settled team is

Watson showed last year that he improved dramaticly not that he's quality. I have mentioned watson before in a few other posts and it makes me laugh when people say he's a gun or a champion. He's a long way off both and what makes me even more p#$*ed off is that he hasn't improved 1 bit on his kicking over the pre season. That should of been the first thing he and the club should have worked on over the break

If you are going to bring up old threads, then at least get the facts correct.
Nobody said he was a gun or a champion.

What people did do however was shoot you down for saying he is nothing short of rubbish

a few disposals were sub-par, but certainly not all of them. The gather he made on the forward 50 in, I think, the 3rd, was all class. He was like a skilful soccer player using one touch.

I'd go in unchanged. We had no injuries, the team clicked. Give em another chance - hard to overstate how important a settled team is

Spot on
Also what better way to reward the TEAM for the effort they put in.

Also let the players that are not in the TEAM know , Hey if you want to get into this TEAM, you had better work your arse off and take any chance you get.

If you are going to bring up old threads, then at least get the facts correct.
Nobody said he was a gun or a champion.

What people did do however was shoot you down for saying he is nothing short of rubbish
hird- legend
jj- all australian
campo- all australian
stanton- gun
watson- gun
Correct me if im wrong but wasn't this someones posts merv? Also if these young boys keep playing good footy and jj comes back in the side do you really think watson will get a game? Get fair dinkem and stop trying to make people believe that he's a good player.

I'm amazed at how many say we HAVE to have a change. I am yet to see the game, but anyone Essendon team that wins in Adelaide against Adelaide must have played alright.

Laycock, Campo and JJ are short of a gallop. Why play them? Didn't we do that last year and look what happened. Some people must have the shortest memories, either that or they are just ignorant or dumb.

The 22 did the job, let them try and do it again. If they fail, then consider who might be dropped. Bradley for all his faults is bloody robust - can the same be said for Laycock.

We need a fit 22 - no injuries. You're injured you miss.

hird- legend
jj- all australian
campo- all australian
stanton- gun
watson- gun
Correct me if im wrong but wasn't this someones posts merv? Also if these young boys keep playing good footy and jj comes back in the side do you really think watson will get a game? Get fair dinkem and stop trying to make people believe that he's a good player.

Apologies yagabomb, as i wasnt aware of that post, and although you havent quoted it, i assume it is correct.

I don't need to make people believe he is a good player, they already know it.

hird- legend
jj- all australian
campo- all australian
stanton- gun
watson- gun

You really are a numbnuts aren't you. Have you heard of ball winners and receivers? Do you understand that we turned to schite when Smokin Joe retired becasue we had too few constructive ball winners. Jobe is exactly that. his kicking is the only thing holding him back (and it is pathetic). But his skill at the stoppages is the one thing we have been crying out for, and without him, we only have potential players such as lonergan and hislop who could play that role.

So we are stuck with Watson and I for one am happy with that. He wins the ball from clearances and dishes off to our runners - exactly what we want.

Give Laycock a game at Bendigo if he is fit, if he plays well and Kep doesnt have a good day against Freo make a change then

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes v Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back