Preview Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks: "We still have a lot of confidence in the way we play, the brand of footy we play,” Nicks said.

“We’ve got to improve our skills and improve our forward-centre work." (from AFC site)

Seriously, what the actual ...? I don't even know where to start with that rubbish.
Nick's is full of it.

Nick's is full of it.
Sadly, I agree. I wish he was full of Coaching skills and flair.

I rarely post stating preferences for Ins and Outs, because it's totally beyond my control.
However, this week I'd really like to see Nicks make some imaginative changes.
Dowling deserves a promotion. Shift Laird to half-back and run one or even two of Dowling, Rankine and Rachele with Crouch and/or Dawson.
Hell, I'd even give Fog a crack at it a few times and tell him to use his physicality, crash a few scrimmages and let the oppo know they're in a contest/scrap.
O'Brien has been ineffective around the ground; inexplicably, he's taken very few marks. None last week, I believe. Drop ROB for Strachan.

ANYTHING, really, just to shake the team up --- throw structure to the wind --- take the shackles off and let those players who have flair do their stuff.

Last edited:
CHAOS-ball.
Didn't PA use that with success against WCE before WCE were garbage, to nullify their talls in defence and give their smalls a better chance?
Or was that Richmond?
The 'chaos' ball was used effectively by Richmond against us in the 2017 GF...worked well because of our slow, clunky talls down back and their plethora of smalls. We have a slow, clunky forward line now, with midfield plodders and very few who can break a line. Even our defence is not overly quick. The other thing we lack is the Tom Lynch type of role - someone who can run hard and provide an option for our defenders to hit up around the wing area. It's probably Keays that we try to use in this role these days, but if he does get it, his ball-use is terrible, and often takes the wrong option. We're really missing TT also as he was at least able to contest in the air and bring the ball to ground a bit more than Tex or Fog. Maybe Gollant could do a job for us here...play a bit higher up the ground. I know he's not ideal, but at least can take a grab, and is not treacle-slow.

This is deliberate strategy and we used it a fair bit in 21 and 22. It's designed to minimise the danage dine on turnover. A turnover on the 50 is much harder to defend than in a pocket 15m from goal. Don't blame the forwards for remaining deep, that's exactly where they're meant to be.

Sounds like a shit strategy.

This is deliberate strategy and we used it a fair bit in 21 and 22. It's designed to minimise the danage dine on turnover. A turnover on the 50 is much harder to defend than in a pocket 15m from goal. Don't blame the forwards for remaining deep, that's exactly where they're meant to be.

It’s almost a concession that you’re gonna turn it over.

If our forwards continue just standing still and demanding the ball be bombed in long, then it probably would be. Maybe it will bounce nicely for Rankine or Walker to work off their opponents and kick a goal or two.

However, instead of that, perhaps they could try, you know, moving a bit? Creating space for each other? Leading? And then our midfields might actually have someone to kick to!

Just a thought.
Well, now we have to do TWO WHOLE THINGS.
  1. Lead into space, and
  2. Kick it well to the leading player.

Jeez, dude.

If our forwards continue just standing still and demanding the ball be bombed in long, then it probably would be. Maybe it will bounce nicely for Rankine or Walker to work off their opponents and kick a goal or two.

However, instead of that, perhaps they could try, you know, moving a bit? Creating space for each other? Leading? And then our midfields might actually have someone to kick to!

Just a thought.
It is hard for them to move as the forward line is often crowded with opposition players, due to the fact we have chipped the ball around sideways further up the ground for a minute before we decide to start kicking forward. Add that to the fact that Laird or Crouch has held on to the ball for 30 seconds before they decided to bomb it in long to a pack of opposition players.

If we can move the ball quickly through the middle we can create a 1 on 1 contest for our forwards who can then lead into space. At the moment our slow ball movement is causing the space to be gone by the time the ball eventually gets in there.

Expecting the following:
Hamill for Parnell
Pedlar for Burgess (need to play talent and don’t see the need for 3 talls if Cook is playing)
McHenry to sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sooner we can * off from the sanfl the better. It is ridiculous that we have played 1 game in the 5 rounds since the AFL started.

I'm liking this new 'realistic' BACCS, criticising the clubs inaction, criticising selections. Wow Wee.

Did the club not re-new your Ambassador role?

Kirky
peter greene gimp GIF

I’m seriously concerned with your obsession.

Nicks: "We still have a lot of confidence in the way we play, the brand of footy we play,” Nicks said.

“We’ve got to improve our skills and improve our forward-centre work." (from AFC site)

Seriously, what the actual ...? I don't even know where to start with that rubbish.

Got to find this amusing, five rounds into the season and we have to improve our skills. WTF!

Perhaps not be so predictable and going down the line and for ****s sake, take the game on. Oh forgot, you have the snails in the midfield (Crouch and Laird).

What were you doing over the pre-season?

It'll take a quarter and a half for the guys who haven't played there to get accustomed to how much faster and how much further the ball moves through the air. If our hitting targets was iffy before, I dread to think what might be unless they get accustomed early.
Agree theoretically. But we know what we'll dish up by doing nothing.
The bells are ringing right now. This is effectively an elimination final for us. And like all elimination finals, there's no tomorrow. Doing nothing and losing again should have the torches and pitch forks marching north along Tapleys Hill Rd!
Angry Fire GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back