Aug 19, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
GWS Giants, LA Lakers
Well it's Blacky's 300th and the MRP has given the Lions a nice little present:

From MRP:
Steve Johnson, Geelong, has been charged with a Level one engaging in rough conduct offence against Chris Newman, Richmond, during the first quarter of the round Four match between the Geelong Cats and Richmond, played at Simonds Stadium on Sunday April 22, 2012.

In summary, due to his previous poor record, his one-match sanction must remain at one game, even with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Richmond Football Club, the incident was assessed as negligent conduct (one point), low impact (one point) and body contact (one point). This is a total of four activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level one offence, drawing 125 demerit points and a one-match sanction. He has an existing bad record of three matches suspended within the last three years, increasing the penalty by 30 per cent to 162.50 points and a one-match sanction. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to 121.88 points and a one-match sanction.

Steve Johnson, Geelong, has been charged with a Level one tripping offence against Daniel Jackson, Richmond, during the fourth quarter of the round Four match between the Geelong Cats and Richmond, played at Simonds Stadium on Sunday April 22, 2012.

In summary, he can accept a reprimand and 78 points towards his future record with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Richmond Football Club, the incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and body contact (one point). This is a total of four activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level one offence, drawing 80 demerit points and a reprimand. He has an existing bad record of three matches suspended within the last three years, increasing the penalty by 30 per cent to 104 demerit points and a one-match sanction. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to a reprimand and 78 demerit points towards his future record.

As there are two cases involving Steve Johnson from the one game, PLEASE NOTE THAT THE FINAL PENALTY FOR JOHNSON, IF THERE ARE MULTIPLE CASES, WILL BE THE TOTAL OF ALL DEMERIT POINTS FOR ALL OFFENCES. For each 100 points, a one-match penalty must be served.

Looking tentatively forward to this game. Cats will get scarlett and probably James Kelly back. I'd say they'll be fired up after being questioned a bit this week.

Re: Round 5: Brisbane Vs Geelong

Could point Loony... might be one less defensive match-up required.

steviejs.jpg

**I might also just remind new posters that there will be a MATCH DAY preview posted written by the below posters on a weekly basis.

**MODS** any chance of changing this to a "Stevie J MRP talk" or a "changes to Lions for..." thread?

Code:
[FONT=Verdana][U][B][SIZE=3]ROUND    CLUB   AT      - Preview By[/SIZE][/B][/U]       [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=white].[/COLOR][strike]Rnd-01   MEL    MCG   - Ginger Greatness[/strike] [/COLOR][/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana][strike]Rnd-02   CAR   Gabba   - Quigley[/strike] [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana][strike]Rnd-03   FRE    Subiaco     - irel [/strike][/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana][strike]Rnd-04   GCS    Gabba  - bry_gram[/strike][/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-05   GEE    Gabba   - PattyKisagun [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-06   ESS    Docklands  - blynd_freddie[/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-07   COL   Gabba  - Jorgo [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-08   GWS   Gabba    - dlanod [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-09   NTH   Docklands  - Gibbo_88[/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-10   WCE   Gabba -  chopperduck  [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=gray][U]Rnd-11   [B]BYE[/B]      -   the return of Special Bruce?[/U][/COLOR][/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-12   HAW   MCG    - Fatcat08  [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-13   WBD    Docklands  - PertRoosOsborne[/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]  Rnd-14   MEL    Gabba[/COLOR]  - T Factor[/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black]Rnd-15   SYD   SCG    - Caiphus[/COLOR] [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-16   STK  Gabba    - blackpowerlappin   [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-17   GCS  Nerang Swamplands - ImAwakeImAlive[/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-18   WCE   Subiaco   - doddgey   [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-[COLOR=black]19   RIC  [/COLOR]Gabba  - [COLOR=black]POBT[/COLOR] [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-20   CAR   Docklands - Duritz         [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-21   ADE  Gabba - PTizzle [/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana][COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Rnd-22   PTA   AMMI  - Clackers[/COLOR]  [/COLOR][/FONT]
  [FONT=Verdana]Rnd-23   WBD  Gabba  - TomFC[/FONT]

Could point Loony... might be one less defensive match-up required.

steviejs.jpg

**I might also just remind new posters that there will be a MATCH DAY preview posted written by the below posters on a weekly basis.

**MODS** any chance of changing this to a "Stevie J MRP talk" or a "changes to Lions for..." thread?

No objection to having thread renamed.

I see this now as a winnable game, we will have to play better than we have this year and if we do win the f word might be talked about again and if we lose another f word might be heard

It is winable but after getting way ahead of myself for the carlton game im not going to get too carried away. Geelong deserve to be favorites but with blackies 300th along with browny finding form we have as good as chance as any. Not to mention we gave them a run last year with a far weaker team

Looking forward to this game, I really like Brisbane. Good luck to both sides, may the best team win.

More importantly who do we take out to bring in? I think the biggest change will be in the forward line, as the backline and midfield seem pretty settled. There are definitely a few options for Sheldon and it will be interesting to see what happens. Heres what I want to see.

IN: Beams, (Karnesis/Retzlaff/Longer)
Out: Sheldon, (Lester)

Golby Maguire McGrath
Lester Patfull Hanley
Polec Rich Drummond
Banfield Brown Beams
Cornelius Merrett Crisp
Foll: Hudson Raines Black
Int: Harwood Redden Adcock Rockliff

I wanted to be super controversial but this team just looks really good on paper. I don't really see where we need to change anyone up, I think Sheldon should be replaced by Beams if he's fit, otherwise Green should be next in line.

The main thing I want to see is Crisp up forward helping out defensively (his pressure is great and pretty tall so is a target too, while also having a bit of goal sense with his 3 behinds).

We could potentially move Merrett back and take Lester out for either Karnesis/Retzlaff who I think offer more forward then Merrett, but it's worth giving the Brown/Merrett/Cornelius combo one more try. If they just take Cornelius as the second forward and treat Merrett as the 3rd forward and Ace handles it ok, I think the move should be made the week after.

Longer/Hudson debate, I think we are doin ok at the moment, Geelong don't have the strongest ruck devision and I think Hudson/Merrett could be serviceable. If Longer comes in I would expect Merrett to go back and then Lester to come out. Lester seems pretty fit though, someone saying he was at 98% game time so i find it pretty unlikely he will come out.

Overall our balance is looking pretty good, we could improve in the forward line with a more dangerous forward then Merrett, but at the risk of inconsistant young forwards.

I think McGrath needs to go forward as he is a liability down back...His errors costed us 3 goals early in the game against the GC, and his form generally has been way off the mark all season...could you imagine how much damage the cats could do on him?

Merrett needs to return down back, as he has the best closing speed and defenders would surely fear the body contact he provides to the contest...Golby and Adcock are our best small defenders, with hanley providing run, and drummond the foot skills.

IN: Beams, Karnesis/Longer, Bartlett?
Out: Sheldon, Lestor? Harwood?

Golby Merrett Patful
Hanley Goose Adcock
Polec Rockliff Drummond
Banfield Brown Beams
Karnezis/longer Cornelius McGrath
Foll: Hudson Raines Black
Int: Rich Redden Crisp Sub: Bartlett/harwood/lestor

IMO Merritt has to go back this week if we're to win.

Hawkins and JPOD will be hard to cover, You'd think Goose on Pods and Merritt on Hawkins?

The only In's and Out's I see is a fit Beams for Sheldon and put Rhino as the sub again.

If Beams isn't fit then bring in Green.

Hard to bring Longer/PattyK/Retzy in since I have no idea who to bring out unless Lester comes out with General Soreness or something. :confused:

Crisp has earned his spot against Geelong. :thumbsu:

With Zorko playing his first game in the ressies this week more then likely, selection committee will be having a hard time over the next couple of weeks. :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without a doubt need Merrett back to play on Hawkins. Maguire is a good match up for J-pod. Patfull to play on Bartel/Kelly and Drummond/Adcock/Hanley to provide some decent run from defence.

For me:

Ins: Longer/Retzlaff (one of which to play FF in Merretts absence) and Beams.

Out: Sheldon, Lester (very unlucky, but young players can be rotated IMO. No obvious match up for him either).

In: Longer
Out: Sheldon

McGrath Maguire Golby
Patfull Merrett Drummond
Hanley Rich Adcock
Rockliff Brown Polec
Banfield Longer Cornelius
Hudson Black Raines
Redden Lester Harwood
Crisp

Rough on Sheldon, he wasn't that bad but we'll need another tall against the Cats. Agree with BeamsStar and Lionheart that Merrett will be needed down back. Longer should be well rested and his inclusion means we won't have to throw Merrett in the ruck leaving Hawkins dangerous.

IMO Merritt has to go back this week if we're to win.

Hawkins and JPOD will be hard to cover, You'd think Goose on Pods and Merritt on Hawkins?

The only In's and Out's I see is a fit Beams for Sheldon and put Rhino as the sub again.

If Beams isn't fit then bring in Green.

Hard to bring Longer/PattyK/Retzy in since I have no idea who to bring out unless Lester comes out with General Soreness or something. :confused:

Crisp has earned his spot against Geelong. :thumbsu:

With Zorko playing his first game in the ressies this week more then likely, selection committee will be having a hard time over the next couple of weeks. :eek:

I think if Merrett is to be moved back to defence, that is accepting that we will lose. Have to back our midfielders putting enough pressure on theirs so that the kicks inside 50 doesn't give the forwards the advantage. We need 3 forwards against Geelong otherwise it is too easy for their defenders to double team Brown and If Podsiadly or Hawkins really starts dominating our defence then he has to go back.

I think if Merrett is to be moved back to defence, that is accepting that we will lose. Have to back our midfielders putting enough pressure on theirs so that the kicks inside 50 doesn't give the forwards the advantage. We need 3 forwards against Geelong otherwise it is too easy for their defenders to double team Brown and If Podsiadly or Hawkins really starts dominating our defence then he has to go back.

It's important to note that without adding any extra talls, if Merrett has to go back it moves Lester into the forward line who while isn't the most dangerous forward, would probably be more dangerous then Merrett. So if those two have to swap is isn't the worst result for us. It really depends on Cornelius' ability to play as a dangerous 2nd forward, as opposed to 3rd forward.

If we don't put him down back then we kind of don't trust our forward line to get the job done without him :p

Personally I feel the best option would be Sheldon out and Longer in.

That way Longer can go forward with Ace and Browny.

Whilst Merrett can stop Hawkins.

If we don't put him down back then we kind of don't trust our forward line to get the job done without him :p

Personally I feel the best option would be Sheldon out and Longer in.

That way Longer can go forward with Ace and Browny.

Whilst Merrett can stop Hawkins.

If Longer was in then Ace would have to be dropped. On the video of Harvey it sounds like they will stick with the defenders because it has worked 3 out of 4 games so I doubt they will move Merrett back and mess with a defence that has done ok.

I dont agree...he needs to go dont back at some time...and last week he became a decoy forward for Acorn and brown...is that really how we should be using a potential AA defender?

bring in Longer to play ruck/decoy forward in merretts place

If Longer was in then Ace would have to be dropped. On the video of Harvey it sounds like they will stick with the defenders because it has worked 3 out of 4 games so I doubt they will move Merrett back and mess with a defence that has done ok.

I fail to understand how a heavy flooding game (freo) could be considered as a win for our defense, or we could even judge our defense on that game.

so far our defense has proven themself against 2 of the worst teams in the league.

People need to watch the saints game last year if they arent convinced merrett should return down back

If Geelong go in to this game with West doing the majority of the rucking like they did last week, I think we'd be better off keeping our current big/small structure and not bringing Longer back in. Of course we don't know beforehand what kind of team Geelong will pick...

If Geelong go in to this game with West doing the majority of the rucking like they did last week, I think we'd be better off keeping our current big/small structure and not bringing Longer back in. Of course we don't know beforehand what kind of team Geelong will pick...

we can still keep the big/small forward structure by having a resting ruckman forward, and sending merrett down back ;)

I see Merrett playing decoy forward as a waste

we can still keep the big/small forward structure by having a resting ruckman forward, and sending merrett down back ;)

Hah yes, but what I meant is we would be playing a taller side, even if we did drop Lester (for example). We may struggle to run with Geelong, so there's advantages in playing one ruckman and using Merrett to pitch in. Longer is still a young 18 year old ruckman and he may struggle to run out games (as was suggested by some at the reserves game last week).

Also I think saying Merrett was playing as a decoy forward is perhaps underselling his role. He still managed to get the same number of possessions as Cornelius but was leading up the ground so received more ball away from goal. That just means he's playing as a roaming forward, which suits his skills. He also provides some experience for a forward line that's much more inexperienced than our defence.

I would also be surprised, especially after a win, that they would want to tinker too much with the structure.

Agree, Merrett playing forward against any opposition is a waste.

I fail to see how playing your best defender as forward, especially when his goal kicking is as bad as his. If we really want to move into the group of teams that are just outside the eight then we need to ensure we have a strong defence. It's easier to find a third forward than to find a key defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back