Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

I can almost guarantee there'll be no changes, which is probably a good move.

In terms of my preferences, I would really like to get Harmes into the side. I think he'd be so valuable against GWS' bigger bodies and harder running, and he is the dream candidate to run with / body Whitfield if he takes over.

In terms of outs, I really don't trust Khamis. He deserves credit for turning his awful first quarter around, but at the same time, this is part of a consistent pattern of him really struggling whenever we concede centre clearances and coming good when we're well on top. That's not really helpful in more competitive games. He is going to get isolated in those games and unfortunately he just cannot function in 1v1s.

That said, he allows Freijah to play more freely, which is probably of net benefit. So I favour keeping him in until English gets back, at which time we have Lobb back and JOD to take Khamis' position.

Anybody else going out of the side would be really stiff, but for me it's probably Gallagher. They play similar roles, Gags only managed ~70% TOG, and I just have a little more faith in Harmes' defensive chops and ball use at this stage, in a must-win game.

FB: Khamis - Jones - Duryea
HB: Dale - JOD - Daniel

C: Williams - Bontempelli - Bramble

HF: West - Naughton - Harmes
FF: Weightman - JUH - Darcy

R: Lobb - Liberatore - Treloar

I: Macrae - Freijah - Vandermeer - Richards
S: McNeil

To add to that about Khamis, I shudder to think what might happen if we do make finals and an opposition coach has an extra week to think about how to pick apart our defence. I suspect we’ll see Khamis put on an island as much as possible.

Hawks minus Day is a tastier proposition than most other finals match ups. Then a likely SF against the Cats at the G, then a Prelim rematch against the Giants or the Swans. We're still in with a shot if we win on Sunday.

View attachment 2085542
With or without Day, to be honest, the Hawks are one of the worst possible matchups in terms of personnel and game style IMO. They consistently nullify us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess that explains the quick sub after that incident. He was lucky to not have his whole head smashed in.
Amazing it wasn’t a free kick or more. He basically went knees first into West & I think it was Bergman.

Last time v Giants, coaches' votes featured:

• Jack Macrae
  • James Harmes

😉

Greater Western Sydney v Western Bulldogs​

10 Adam Treloar (WB)
7 Ed Richards (WB)
4 Jack Macrae (WB)
4 James Harmes (WB)
3 Aaron Naughton (WB)
2 Jesse Hogan (GWS)

Hawks minus Day is a tastier proposition than most other finals match ups. Then a likely SF against the Cats at the G, then a Prelim rematch against the Giants or the Swans. We're still in with a shot if we win on Sunday.

View attachment 2085542

Look at their record with Day vs without him.

It’s something like 1-5 vs 12-1 from memory. Don’t want to wish injury on anyone but it would make our life a lot easier week one if that was the matchup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Giants RD 24 - Huge game @ Mars Stadium - Sun 25 Aug 12:30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back