Preview Changes vs Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Question - other than Jack and maybe Goldsack, which players could we justify dropping for Maxwell based on current form and playing ability?

Ridiculous questioin really, you have to replace like for like.

You could drop Blair for Maxwell, but what are we going to do with all those spare half back flankers?

One of Anthony or Goldsack MUST go out for Maxwell when he's fit. There are no other options.

Tough selection after a very good win. The only obvious out is Anthony. If Maxwell is fit he comes in for Anthony. Sidebottom comes in if fit but who to drop is the question. I'm not a fan of dropping a first gamer unless he was rubbish and Blair was far from that. We should build his confidence with a really postitive review and give him another game. I can't find a suitable out for Sidebottom. Lockyer is probably who I'd look at.

Agree with all of that except I'd consider dropping Goldy rather than Jack.

Having a spare gun forward in defence ready to swing forward when needed gives us tremendous flexibility.
If Dawes or Cloke are having a shocker, we can bench them, throw Jack forward, and drop Leroy back to fill teh hole in defence. Or we can go with three tall forwards. Or four with Jolly down there!!

Goldsack doesnt offer any of those choices.

In: Maxwell & Sidebottom
Out: Anthony & Blair

The outs are only because someone has to make way for those two, not becasue they were poor last game.

I quite liked Anthony going back last game & Blair was great for his first game.

Personally, I am liking the way the team is shaping up. Goldsack I really like in the side & I think he can be important in freeing up Maxy, Shaw & Harry.

My only worries are these:
- Brown in the ruck this is working OK now but will not sustainable by the finals. In the end we will end up grinding down Jolly by finals as we have a lot of tough games coming up. He needs a proper supporting ruckman & Wood is the man. Have we not learnt from previous finals campaigns?

-Small forwards. Obviously Leon is a worry but he does need help & Dick was that man & my preference. But if Dick continues to get injured who can we use - apart from midfield rotations. Rounds has been suggested. I think we need to explore this more before the finals & particularly as it is seen as Geelongs achilles heels.

Can't see Sidebottom or Maxwell coming back for this game, I think we'll be keen to give Blair another run in a game we are highly favoured to win.

The only change I'd be expecting at this stage would be someone rested to include Rounds (maybe at the expense of Wellingham who could do with the run in the goos).

Maxwell and Sidey will come back for the game against the Saints I'd reckon.

Ridiculous questioin really, you have to replace like for like.

You could drop Blair for Maxwell, but what are we going to do with all those spare half back flankers?

One of Anthony or Goldsack MUST go out for Maxwell when he's fit. There are no other options.

If Maxwell wasn't captain and you looked at only form would he HAVE to come back in?
Off form this season I'm not so sure he has been average and poor in most games except a few this year.

But alas he is captain so it's a mute point I guess.

Think people forgetting that MAxwell has still been very dominant in games this year, and was AA last year, and our captain. Kidding if you don't think he is an automatic in.
Great that Goldy can come in at the drop of a hat, but Maxy is superior. Our depth of good players is damn impressive

If Maxwell wasn't captain and you looked at only form would he HAVE to come back in?
Off form this season I'm not so sure he has been average and poor in most games except a few this year.

But alas he is captain so it's a mute point I guess.

He's also our reigning AA defender and is entitled to be an automatic selection. His form hasn't been THAT bad............

Goldsack doesnt offer any of those choices.
He offers different choices - eg wing - and plays a different type of HB role. I'm a bit of a fan of Goldsack so I'd prefer to keep him in but there are a few options such as yours that in the end would amount to much of a muchness. It's a good week for selection headaches! More important is to ensure the team takes a winnable game seriously and gets the good win they should have.

Why the hell would we drop Jack Anthony.

He seems like the only one back there aside from Presti who can beat someone one on one.

At varying times through the night he spoiled Cox, Natanui, McKinley AND Kennedy. Aagain, aside from Presti we have NO ONE else that can do that.

He's almost like a quicker, more attacking version of Presti. Why the HELL would we drop him?

Presti came up a bit sore and was being manged toward the end of the game.

You'd have to say Port are in disarray and the most side we will most likely beat in the next 8 games.

IF Presti needs a rest (resti to keep some happy) this week is the time.

Out.. Presti
In.. Maxwell (if fit)

He offers different choices - eg wing - and plays a different type of HB role.

I can't recall a single game where Goldsack has played on the wing. Defensive HFF once or twice, but that's about it.

He can't even find the ball in the relative comfort of the backline, how's he going to do it on the wing?

Sidebottom for Goldsack.

Give the skipper another week to make sure that calf is 100%.

I can't for the life of me understand what Jack did wrong on Saturday, and I have been critical of him for weeks. I thought he was really promising in defence and we know he can swing forward and find a goal or 2. He could be an absolute weapon, and I liked his 1 on 1 work. He should stay.

Sidebottom for Goldsack.

Give the skipper another week to make sure that calf is 100%.

I can't for the life of me understand what Jack did wrong on Saturday, and I have been critical of him for weeks. I thought he was really promising in defence and we know he can swing forward and find a goal or 2. He could be an absolute weapon, and I liked his 1 on 1 work. He should stay.

I also thought Jack was good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Sidebottom, Maxwell (maybe)
Out: Blair (maybe).

Anyone who gets dropped this week will be stiff. As much as I'd like to see Leon get a run in the vfl, I don't think it's going to happen.

Goldsack does his job each week, is hard at the ball and the man, provides run out of defence. I love having him in the side.

I thought Jack played pretty good game considering he hasn't played down back at AFL level since whenever. Another bloke who's hard at it, he's got explosive pace and is a beautiful kick of the footy which is very valuable on the rebound.

Blair was impressive in his first game. Very hard at it and 16 disposals which is very good on debut. Unfortunately for him, I think Blair will be dropped purely because Sidebottom can play his role but do it much better.

Happy for Maxwell to not come in this week, give sidey another week off. Don't wen mention dick, drop Leon give him a run in the 2's and give medhurst a run. Medhurst as seen now what competition he's up against. If he wants to be playing in September let him have a run against a horrible port side and show everyone he can still produce that 2008 form. Two weeks in a row for meddy. If he doesn't produce then
it's in the vfl again and he'll have to wait and hope for an injury.

Think they've said Maxwell and Sidey are both ready for this week.

So obvious outs are Jack and Blair.

It all depends on whether they start looking at rebalancing the side with Fraser coming back. It'll have to happen sometime, if you looked at Jamar on the weekend he looked stuffed, so ruck relief for Jolly we'll need to come in soon.

We have had way to many changes to our team this year by resting alot of our good players. I think this needs to stop and we need to settle with one side so they can get more games togather which will obviously help for the finals.

I can't recall a single game where Goldsack has played on the wing. Defensive HFF once or twice, but that's about it.

He can't even find the ball in the relative comfort of the backline, how's he going to do it on the wing?

goldsack had 35 posses in a tac cup game. mick has used him in the center before. I recall the brisbane game back in 2007 or 8 when he got k.oed he was playing in the middle.

B: Toovey - Prestigiacomo - Maxwell
HB: Shaw - Reid - O'Brien
C: D. Thomas - Swan - Wellingham
HF: Didak - Cloke - Beams
F: Davis - Dawes - Anthony
FL: Jolly - Pendlebury - Ball
INT: Blair - Lockyer - Johnson - L. Brown​

B: Toovey - Prestigiacomo - Maxwell
HB: Shaw - Reid - O'Brien
C: D. Thomas - Swan - Wellingham
HF: Didak - Cloke - Beams
F: Davis - Dawes - Anthony
FL: Jolly - Pendlebury - Ball
INT: Blair - Lockyer - Johnson - L. Brown​

So what are you in and outs..or do we have to work it out ourselves.
Maxwell in and ummm...Goldsack out

you just love writing up your lineup, dont ya!

Big rumour going around that Josh Fraser is playing.

These rumours has been backed up with comments made and words written about Josh on the official site during the week.

On PieCast, Jolly and the host let slip that Fraser is "in line" to play his 200th this week.

I wouldn't mind Josh playing this week, it might be the week to "try him out" one last time before the finals.

Either way, I expect 2-3 changes at 5pm tonight, but have no real clue other then Fraser who may be in, although Josh Thomas and MaCaffer trained with the main group today.

Big rumour going around that Josh Fraser is playing.

These rumours has been backed up with comments made and words written about Josh on the official site during the week.

On PieCast, Jolly and the host let slip that Fraser is "in line" to play his 200th this week.

I wouldn't mind Josh playing this week, it might be the week to "try him out" one last time before the finals.

Either way, I expect 2-3 changes at 5pm tonight, but have no real clue other then Fraser who may be in, although Josh Thomas and MaCaffer trained with the main group today.

Would not Suprise Me at All.

Still think Rounds will come in and Would like Josh Thomas to come in but I doubt he would

Would not Suprise Me at All.

Still think Rounds will come in and Would like Josh Thomas to come in but I doubt he would

Who would Rounds come in for? I would rage if Leon Davis was dropped. Same for Josh Thomas, who gets the boot? I don't see why we need to change the lineup overly much after having a comfortable 80pt win. As for Fraser, I could see him coming in for Leroy, even though he has been more than serviceable the past few weeks.

Who would Rounds come in for? I would rage if Leon Davis was dropped. Same for Josh Thomas, who gets the boot? I don't see why we need to change the lineup overly much after having a comfortable 80pt win. As for Fraser, I could see him coming in for Leroy, even though he has been more than serviceable the past few weeks.

Would not mind Davis being Dropped/Rested for Rounds or Blair.

Fraser will come in for L Brown

Davis won't be dropped, MM said so.

Leon would have been rated in our best 5-6 players last week by the coaches, as although he didn't kick a goal himself, he set up at least 3, and placed more forward pressure then anyone else once again.

He looked ok at training (according to Brians pics), so he'll play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back