Channel 7 Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

"he's done it again and he's done it again, ahh you know what i mean"- Bruce talking about Taylor's 2nd banana goal.

He's just Specccciiiiaaaallll.

better than the umpiring, why do we have to put up with such rubbish, obvious after obvious free let go then some bizarre inane mega technical free of an absolute error.

I could no care less who won tonigh but its is so cosistantly bad. night games seem the worst for some reason.
OPSM not doing a good enough job.

doesnt really bother me to be honest & i am surprised this gets raised so often

I think most of us lower our expectations of what gets covered but tonight Bruces mannerisms were just garbage.
I think Motlop had a shot at goal and Bruce felt the needs to cream himself. Then did the same with Jetta. It is terrible.
Its become a social call rather than football commentating. And this is the issue.
They are discussing stats and tactics but it is all rethorical questions.
This mixed in with the call of the game and the bad timed orgasms and we have Commentary at an all time low.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's amazing how poor our commentary stocks are. Cricket is in a similar, though not quite so bad, state. I'm no fan of League, but their commentators shit all over ours.

Really, all our intelligent commentators are either boring or unprofessional (e.g. Matthews, Roos, Lloyd), all our professional ones are boring or unintelligent (e.g Cometti, Bruce), and all our interesting ones are unintelligent or unprofessional (e.g. BT, Richo). A few are boring, unintelligent AND unprofessional. The only commentator that is ok in all 3 is Huddo, and even he can get pretty annoying at times. Still, he's the best. It's a shame that Cometti and Bruce have become caricatures of themselves; Cometti used to be fantastic and Bruce used to be a solid and professional host. :(

Has anyone noticed that Harley looks at the camera on an angle so his nose doesn't look as bent as a crowbar?

I just want them to call the game. There are times where there is something interesting happening in the game (ridiculous call by the umpire, great mark, nice bit of play) and the commentary team is talking about something completely unrelated to the game.

Why is it unbarable and bad? What would you like to hear more/less of? Give us some details.
They make awful, awful jokes that not even they find funny. They fail to call the play properly because they are busy with some anecdote or other about the time Dennis coached West Perth etc.

Bruce, ah Bruce. Bruce is a living joke. He stumbles over his own tongue and tries to fit 50 words into a space for 10. He uses terms like "setter upperer". Cometti has been ruined by Bruce and his sycophantic dribble. Bruce fawns over his co-commentators. He gets a lob on for a team and will barrack for them regardless of how well the opposition does (hear the disappointment in his voice at Taylor's great defensive mark just before the quarter time siren because Gumbleton didn't take a hanger).

The team insist on witterings on about things that have nothing to do with the game (Brian Taylor is far worse though). They miss obvious frees and then jump on an iffy one that isn't paid and go on about it at he expense of the ongoing play. Bruce needs to be shuffled off. He's doing a Mick Martyn at Carlton at the moment.

They make awful, awful jokes that not even they find funny. They fail to call the play properly because they are busy with some anecdote or other about the time Dennis coached West Perth etc.

Bruce, ah Bruce. Bruce is a living joke. He stumbles over his own tongue and tries to fit 50 words into a space for 10. He uses terms like "setter upperer". Cometti has been ruined by Bruce and his sycophantic dribble. Bruce fawns over his co-commentators. He gets a lob on for a team and will barrack for them regardless of how well the opposition does (hear the disappointment in his voice at Taylor's great defensive mark just before the quarter time siren because Gumbleton didn't take a hanger).

The team insist on witterings on about things that have nothing to do with the game (Brian Taylor is far worse though). They miss obvious frees and then jump on an iffy one that isn't paid and go on about it at he expense of the ongoing play. Bruce needs to be shuffled off. He's doing a Mick Martyn at Carlton at the moment.

I wish they'd sent him. He can have erotic fantasies about all the male athletes he wants there. Just cringeworthy how he ignores the game completely to focus on whoever he's decided to drool over for that particular 10 minutes. Imagine what he's going to be like for Rioli's 100th game. He'll be naked in the box.

Mind you, naming poor football commentators is like shooting fish in a barrel. I'm struggling to think of any that are even competent. Commetti was great but has been ruined by prolonged exposure to McAveney.

Why is it unbarable and bad? What would you like to hear more/less of? Give us some details.

Its tough. What options do we have?

I think if we can be astute, the best callers going around (this doesnt mean they are fantastic) would probably be Huddo and Eddie. That is my opinion.
Now why they are probably rated highly is because they call the footy in a great tone. Excited when they need to be and level when appropriate.
What makes a good caller is just to call the footy. To leave the side comments to the boundary rider or special comments bloke.

Bruce was good back in the day because he never participated in the crap that goes on outside the call. Dennis too.

They are now caught up in it, particpate in, cant bear not being involved in it- and it is at the point where it is part of the call.
That is why it is so bad.

Basically speak when it is your turn to speak. At the moment it is a free for all chatathon and it is disgusting.

OOOHHHHH HE'S A BEUATY ISNT HE!!
OOOHHHHH HE'S BIG ISNT HE!!
OOOHHHHH HE'S COMING NOW ISNT HE!!!
OOOOHHHH AAAND BANG!!!
aaahhhh....that was just beautiful wasn't it dennis.

ffs, he has gotten so much worse these last 2-3 years, they have to get rid of him, he's seriously ruining games...its embarrassing.

Bruce is pissed off he's not at the olympics so he's making us suffer.
NOT AT THE OLYMPICS???? SAY IT AINT SO! I've been waiting for him to go for weeks....

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 7 Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back