Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally thought Dixon used to have a decoy/get ball to ground role and he used to be okay at that role, but now we have all forwards leading to same space, Dixon appears to only succeed in spoiling his own players. I lost my composure watching Dixon be out marked on so many occasions and then give away 4 pathetic frees (3 by official stats). I couldn't have been more pissed at him and a couple marks spread across game wasn't enough to get over it.

11 turnovers and 40% disposal efficiency.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The reality is Marshall & MG would be excellent at a good club like Geelong & they'd cut Dixon.
They wouldn't cut Dixon. They would just use him appropriately as the last choice bail out option and hit Marshall and Georgie on the lead all day.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What's Dixon's best year? 49 goals

Todd 45 wasn't it in less games.. yea the gulf is extreme
Todd's 45 was in 21 games. 2.1 goals a game.
Charlie's 49 was in 23 games. 2.1 goals a game.

However

Charlie kicked 41 in 16 games for the cellar dweller Suns. 2.6 goals a game.
In 2020 playing only 18 games that were shortened by 2% Charlie kicked 34 goals. Extrapolate that out to 21 full length games: 50 goals at 2.4 goals a game.

Dixon's goal tallies considering his size & his dominance in the game plan as the giant beacon are utterly pathetic to be honest. He's like the Aldi version of Tom Hawkins.

in 128 years of the VFL/AFL Tom sits 13th having kicked 790 goals @ 2.24 goals/game so far. 5 times AA. Whilst being a contributor, has played forward to a team that has won 4 premierships, played in 2 GFs, 6 Pfs, 1 SF and 2 EFs over your career. Over his 18 year career Hawkins has only booked a September vacation twice.

Most average to good KPF's look like the Aldi version of Hawkins by comparison.Also, how many times have you seen him in a contested pack marking situation compared to Dixon?

Josh Jenkins played like a 6'6 small forward but it is kinda hilarious he has better goal tallies through his career than Dixon.. what is the fuss over Chuck? lol he'll barely be an afterthought in our rich history.

So what? A completely different type of player under a completely different gameplan surrounded by completely different players. Are you going to compare him to Ronnie the Rat? We can't bring back players from history and ask them to play Dixon's role. The majority of them would be too short anyway.

What do you mean the fuss. Everybody wants him gone. Peninsula Boy, the voice of the people told me so therefore it is truth.

I've said it on here before, but we opted not to give a cooked Jay Schulz a contract for 2017. He's twice the player Charlie is.
In the 7 games Jay managed in 2016 he kicked 10 goals and averaged 3 marks a game. He had a chronic back condition that wasn't getting any better. If Dixon is cooked, unfortunately Jay was deep friend. Plus we had a replacement at the time in Dixon.

It was a pity because I would love to have seen then play together. They would have been the ideal foils for each other and maybe Hinkley wouldn't have come up with the harebrained bomb it to Dixon gameplan.

When Dixon finally hangs up the boots, the club would actually be forced to find a creative forwards coach who knows how to create space and who identifies that we do have 3 tall mobile forwards in Finlayson, Georgiadis, and Marshall.

In the 7 games Jay managed in 2016 he kicked 10 goals and averaged 3 marks a game. He had a chronic back condition that wasn't getting any better. If Dixon is cooked, unfortunately Jay was deep friend. Plus we had a replacement at the time in Dixon.

It was a pity because I would love to have seen then play together. They would have been the ideal foils for each other and maybe Hinkley wouldn't have come up with the harebrained bomb it to Dixon gameplan.
Jay played a good game in round 1 2016 before issues. He was undoubtedly rushed back in (the hinkley special) and struggled, but was no worse than Dixon in some of those games. I would have preferred that we gave him one last chance in 2017 with a proper off season rehab, and no way it would have been worse than not playing Brett Eddy, or playing Trengove as a forward.

Dixon should never have been there to replace Jay but compliment him, ease the pressure on him.

Dixon probably would have kicked 60+ in 2020 if the games had normal lengths.

Plus there were less games that year.

He was an All Australian player that year and deserved to be.

Marshall will never get near the All Australian team.

Reality is that we have left too much to Dixon for too long. That shouldn’t be a knock in Charlie. He’s been double or tripled teamed for years because we haven’t had another forward that can take a contested mark save for glimpses from Georgiades. Marshall and Finlayson are both floaters that will let you down when the going gets tough annd and on current form I would have Finlayson a long way in front of Marshall. Lord at least shows some fight, but you would be speculating at best to say he’s going to make it as an AFL footballer. Those dissing Dixon because of some off the cuff remarks he made about the fan base need to get over their preciousness - if the rest of our team had half the spirit that Dixon has shown over years pretty much as the lone hand KPF we would be in a much better position as a team and a club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Dixon finally hangs up the boots, the club would actually be forced to find a creative forwards coach who knows how to create space and who identifies that we do have 3 tall mobile forwards in Finlayson, Georgiadis, and Marshall.
That's a fair bit to work with.

It would be a very creative forward line and a bit unorthodox.
You would play them in a total football type of way.

Many Port supporters including yours truly used to have a chuckle when tingle barrackers suggested Jerker Jenkins was better value than big Chuck, but sadly that opinion may not have been too far off the mark.

we haven’t had another forward that can take a contested mark save for glimpses from Georgiades. Marshall and Finlayson are both floaters that will let you down when the going gets tough annd and on current form I would have Finlayson a long way in front of Marshall.

I think this is the point Im mulling over in my head- why don't we make adjustments to the gameplan to highlight the strengths of 3 players - mobile/floating type tall forwards - instead of 1, kick it to Charlie bomb.

Dixon goes missing as much as anyone when the going gets tough, spirit my ass.

A pumping flex after an easy goal with his big scary beard face & you muppets think he's a legend.

When his gameday instructions are

1. Don't lead
2. Don't seek separation from opponents
3. Never lead
4. Don't worry about taking marks
5. Work up the field as often as possible
6. No leads
7. Don't call for the footy unless you have a defender up yo ass

It's pretty hard to much of anything on your own volition

I think this is the point Im mulling over in my head- why don't we make adjustments to the gameplan to highlight the strengths of 3 players - mobile/floating type tall forwards - instead of 1, kick it to Charlie bomb.

Hinkley uses the one strength of Dixon which is contested marks to the detriment of the others.

He doesn't highlight the creativity and beautiful kicking skills of Marshall.
The speed, athleticism and powerful marking of Georgiades.
Nor the creativity and kicking of Finlayson.

Its just criminal.

Jay played a good game in round 1 2016 before issues. He was undoubtedly rushed back in (the hinkley special) and struggled, but was no worse than Dixon in some of those games. I would have preferred that we gave him one last chance in 2017 with a proper off season rehab, and no way it would have been worse than not playing Brett Eddy, or playing Trengove as a forward.

Dixon should never have been there to replace Jay but compliment him, ease the pressure on him.

I would have kept Schultz on the list too, although IIRC Schultz wanted two years and there were contract disputes? Sadly though it is probably best for Jay that he didn't play on for another year and get his head knocked about further.

Overall Charlie had a better season. More goals and marks per game and was the shiny new toy.

I agree regarding Dixon replacing Jay. I was speaking from the point of view of Hinkley who in those years seemed satisfied to have one real KPF while trying to shoehorn other players into becoming that.

Ranks top 3 among key forwards in our rich AFL history with only our GOAT clearly ahead of him.

1. Schulz is clearly ahead of Dixon imo. I don’t think it’s that close.

Better production for a far worse team that targeted him far less than Dixon.

2. Doesn’t the shortage of quality kfs in our 3 decades prove that quality kfs are very hard to come by?

maybe Hinkley wouldn't have come up with the harebrained bomb it to Dixon gameplan.

It’s a by product of his midfield flood gameplan

Plus there were less games that year.

He was an All Australian player that year and deserved to be.

Marshall will never get near the All Australian team.

Not under Hinkley he won’t.

Telling that in a decade of being the dominant inside 50 team and Dixon being the most heavily targeted kf in the league and Dixon only squeaked into one all-Aus?

No one else stands a chance.

See above

Bomb it to Charlie is a by product of the midfield flood gameplan

It’s not going to change.

Can't wait until he retires, packs all his toys at Chux Grudge & pisses off back to Queensland he's been thoroughly underwhelmingly average.

Phwoah imagine the big angry face big dix would have in Kenny’s office if he got delisted!

At least for once in his life he wouldn’t be able to give away a free kick

flipping potato head

1. Schulz is clearly ahead of Dixon imo. I don’t think it’s that close.

Better production for a far worse team that targeted him far less than Dixon.

2. Doesn’t the shortage of quality kfs in our 3 decades prove that quality kfs are very hard to come by?

It’s a by product of his midfield flood gameplan

Not under Hinkley he won’t.

Telling that in a decade of being the dominant inside 50 team and Dixon being the most heavily targeted kf in the league and Dixon only squeaked into one all-Aus?

No one else stands a chance.

See above

Bomb it to Charlie is a by product of the midfield flood gameplan

It’s not going to change.

When you play the forward press the forward line is so flooded that you’re either relying on low percentage trick shots or a 50 year old gorilla with rubbish tats to clunk 10 screamers each game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back