Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixon is our best key forward by so far it isn't funny. And he's not even that good anymore.

Nah.

We’re targeting him an extraordinary amount for mediocre return inbetween his opponent having near bog games.

Georgiades has been our best kf this season.

Doing far more with his chances than Charlie.

1. Schulz is clearly ahead of Dixon imo. I don’t think it’s that close.

Better production for a far worse team that targeted him far less than Dixon.

I'm actually astounded anyone would think otherwise. Two KPFs are clearly Tredders and Jay.

Dixon would be competing with Lade/Ryder as the ruck/forward option given that maybe even Hoff as the tall utility, and it's hard to see him getting selected.

Worth noting that if Todd plays until the same age Charlie is , at the much maligned pace he’s played at the past 3 years , he’s going to go past Charlie for goals kicked and trounce him for goal assists.

Playing in a forward system that hampers him rather than helps him.

Same goes for Mitch.

Charlie has been a good kf for the club (and we know that good kfs are very hard to find) but his form has dipped for a while now and this year he’s outright rubbish. There’s massive overrating of him and underrating of our other kfs.

Dixon is the most targeted kf in the league, more than curnow, Cameron etc and the obvious flip side of that is our other kfs by definition must be some of the least targeted kfs in the league.

Worth noting that if Todd plays until the same age Charlie is , at the much maligned pace he’s played at the past 3 years , he’s going to go past Charlie for goals kicked and trounce him for goal assists.

Same goes for Mitch.

Charlie has been a good kf for the club (and we know that good kfs are very hard to find) but his form has dipped for a while now and this year he’s outright rubbish. There’s massive overrating of him and underrating of our other kfs.

Dixon is the most targeted kf in the league, more than curnow, Cameron etc and the obvious flip side of that is our other kfs by definition must be some of the least targeted kfs in the league.

Imagine we had a plan and structure that took him away from the bomb it in scenario and let the other two guys lead into space and deliver it to them. I hate being at Adelaide Oval and seeing other teams do that to a leading forward, I always ask myself 'what looks so easy, it looks like football'.

Does Ken do everything because he always looks at the 'what if scenario' rather than 'let's dictate terms our way - and in a positive way (not bomb it in)'. It's that 'Finals are Scared' mentality, and is that what Butters was also alluding too in some way the other day.

Also the idea we can't change coach 'because' - costs too much, stability, we want to be mid table bringing the fans in.... the whole place is skewed to a negative safety angle and that needs to be ripped apart, all it does is breed mediocrity.

Scott Cummings 2 years at Port a whole stratosphere ahead of the angry bird
mad GIF by Angry Birds

Same goes for Mitch.

The talk about him being the most targeted key forward in the league is crazy, in that very rarely do we actually target him, more like a pop it up into the air in his general direction. Guys like curnow actually have the ball kicked to them.

If I'm going to defend Todd and Mitch on the basis that their performance is hindered by our gameplan (such as it is), it is only fair that I extend that to Dixon too.

I believe that if he'd ever been instructed to do so, Dixon would have been content to lead to space and he would have been good at it. Maybe, as he aged and picked up more injuries, he would have been confined to the square and used as the last-chance option after all leads were covered.

Instead, he is our most targeted forward, targeted with aimless kicks in his general direction, while stagnant. He, as much as the other two, is a victim of the pile of rubbish that are our forward entries.

I think the theory is that if you get a deep fwd entry it is more difficult for the defenders to rebound the ball out of the fwd zone/ press. If you target a leading player with a shallower entry it is higher risk because if you don’t hit the target, or the target drops the mark it can be rebounded quickly & more easily. In theory.

Also if your mids are under pressure it’s a lot easier to just dump kick it long but to target a leading player your mids need a bit more space & time. We saw the latter in the 2nd half vs Richmond. Our mids got on top & Marshall had a field day out at chf & looked a million dollars

It must be a set strategy to just get it deep as possible & we are trying to play a safe, risk averse style. But it’s obviously not working. We have some classy users of the ball now & they should be given some license to hit up leading targets & the fwds have to play in front more & provide that leading option. The fwd line just looks so stagnant & predictable atm.

I guess there needs to be a balance. Our leading fwds like Marshall/ Georgiades probably think ‘I am not leading because the kick will go long 99% of the time & my opponent will just sit back & take an uncontested mark & make me look like a goose’ & I noticed Finlayson earlier in the season play behind & try to get those cheapies out the back all the time

I have bagged Dixon & duffman but it must be a directive from above & not entirely their fault. Dixon is a decent target for those long bombs but those deep kicks only work when they get over the back of the zone & surprise the defenders & that is when a real pacey small forward is damaging, exactly the type we never play

It would be good if Kenny comes out and explains our forward structure/plan. Why he thinks it is best suited for our team etc.
I am genuinely interested.
The method has worked in the past but every club knows what we do. It's just too damn predictable now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching Charlie just makes me sad now.

He can't run, can't jump, , can't lead and has the agility of a 18 wheeler. He gets out worked, out marked, and is always second to the ball these days.

We've been playing him injured for years (mastermind Ken has just worked out the impact of playing HEAVILY injured players), and his body is showing it. It's compounded that Kenny Boy treats him as the prodigal son, and asks him to "do a job" every week.

He's tried and been a wonderful player for our club, given it his all; but it's time he realises his all isn't enough anymore and Ken stops giving him the golden ticket to play every week.

It would be good if Kenny comes out and explains our forward structure/plan. Why he thinks it is best suited for our team etc.
I am genuinely interested.
The method has worked in the past but every club knows what we do. It's just too damn predictable now.
What about any of his pressers over the last few years makes you think Kenny could articulate it?

I think the theory is that if you get a deep fwd entry it is more difficult for the defenders to rebound the ball out of the fwd zone/ press. If you target a leading player with a shallower entry it is higher risk because if you don’t hit the target, or the target drops the mark it can be rebounded quickly & more easily. In theory.

Also if your mids are under pressure it’s a lot easier to just dump kick it long but to target a leading player your mids need a bit more space & time. We saw the latter in the 2nd half vs Richmond. Our mids got on top & Marshall had a field day out at chf & looked a million dollars

It must be a set strategy to just get it deep as possible & we are trying to play a safe, risk averse style. But it’s obviously not working. We have some classy users of the ball now & they should be given some license to hit up leading targets & the fwds have to play in front more & provide that leading option. The fwd line just looks so stagnant & predictable atm.
Butters said in a post match interview last week that they "try to avoid shallow forward entries" as an explanation to the bombing it in. So it's definitely a directive. It's amazing to think that you can have one of the most talented midfields in the competition and you still don't trust them to hit up targets. Also, if you only ever bomb it long on instruction, maybe you might get a bit rusty when trying to hit up targets. Once again, we choose the most risk averse approach possible.

Butters said in a post match interview last week that they "try to avoid shallow forward entries" as an explanation to the bombing it in. So it's definitely a directive. It's amazing to think that you can have one of the most talented midfields in the competition and you still don't trust them to hit up targets. Also, if you only ever bomb it long on instruction, maybe you might get a bit rusty when trying to hit up targets. Once again, we choose the most risk averse approach possible.
When I go to training they do the same thing, so it's obviously the gameplan!

On SM-S711B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A few years ago this strategy might have made some sense. We had a plethora of big bodied inside contested mids with dubious kicking skills & very few fast skilled outside players. Amon/ Polec being the only genuine foot skilled outside mids. Now with Jhf/ Butters/ Rozee it just seems dumb.
I saw Pickett talking about sheedy dragging him years ago for showing a bit of flair & he said he wouldn’t play afl these days as it was too regimented, no fun & there was no room for individual flair outside the confines of very strict coaching & team rules.

If I'm going to defend Todd and Mitch on the basis that their performance is hindered by our gameplan (such as it is), it is only fair that I extend that to Dixon too.

I believe that if he'd ever been instructed to do so, Dixon would have been content to lead to space and he would have been good at it. Maybe, as he aged and picked up more injuries, he would have been confined to the square and used as the last-chance option after all leads were covered.

Instead, he is our most targeted forward, targeted with aimless kicks in his general direction, while stagnant. He, as much as the other two, is a victim of the pile of rubbish that are our forward entries.

Largely agree with this but I was disappointed with the stack of stupid free kicks he gave away being caught out of position time and again by the more mobile Keane.

Finlayson would have been a much better match up, but apparently he couldn't be chosen.

The last few games, Charlie has taken some big critical marks when he has been able to run and jump at the ball rather than it be put on top of his head, and either he is being held and/or had to battle 2, 3, 4 or 5 others including teammates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back