Has the world gone mad?
'We can't just let ANYONE into the Western Bulldogs cheersquad'
Never thought I'd see the day :p

Has the world gone mad?
'We can't just let ANYONE into the Western Bulldogs cheersquad'
Never thought I'd see the day :p
Sign says no timtamwb's
But you let timtamwb S. in!
It says no timtamwb'S. We're allowed to have one.

The atmosphere was good today. well besides that guy yelling at people to sit down. We dont nred people like that in a cheer squad
I just ignore those people and stand up and support the time.
Plus i'm 5'11 almost anyone can look over me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheer squad looked fuller and was great to see alot of the little flags but still hardly any noise and the boring old Bulldogs chant.

Anyways, Here's one for Jones.

His jumping, His tackling,
Jones is giving you a Smacking.

Thank me later lol.

I believe BRG93 mentioned that the chants will take some time but hopefully in the next few weeks.

Cheer squad looked fuller and was great to see alot of the little flags but still hardly any noise and the boring old Bulldogs chant.

Anyways, Here's one for Jones.

His jumping, His tackling,
Jones is giving you a Smacking.

Thank me later lol.
I would counter that by saying there wasn't much to Cheer about in terms of Goals and in terms of chants we are coming up with them at the moment then we need to work on a way of distributing them to Supporters but I would say it would depend on how quick fans pick them up game day

I would counter that by saying there wasn't much to Cheer about in terms of Goals and in terms of chants we are coming up with them at the moment then we need to work on a way of distributing them to Supporters but I would say it would depend on how quick fans pick them up game day
If you are getting people to the VFL games, I'd say that is a good place to pant those seeds. People are likely to be standing, the atmosphere is a less isolating and intimidating at the WO than when you are at Etihad on CCTV, surrounded by security and forced into your allocated seat. Etihad is a panopticon. WO is bedlam. Fans belong in Bedlam.

Etihad is a panopticon. WO is bedlam. Fans belong in Bedlam.
Haha, I like it. You realise Bedlam (a.k.a Bethlem) was the original hospital for the insane in London?
"You don't have to be crazy, but it sure helps."

If you are getting people to the VFL games, I'd say that is a good place to pant those seeds. People are likely to be standing, the atmosphere is a less isolating and intimidating at the WO than when you are at Etihad on CCTV, surrounded by security and forced into your allocated seat. Etihad is a panopticon. WO is bedlam. Fans belong in Bedlam.

I love this post in large part because you managed to use the word panopticon in a conversation about football. The interwebs never cease to amaze me.... and neither do you good sir. Bravo.

Also anyone else notice they replaced the pre-game and half time game guy with our people.

I'd rather replace him with nobody to be honest, but if that's the case there IS a God. Now if they'd only give the same guy the lemon sars from the Cricket....

I love this post in large part because you managed to use the word panopticon in a conversation about football. The interwebs never cease to amaze me.... and neither do you good sir. Bravo.
Many thanks Mutt. I pulled a piece together at one point in time around power and social control as it applies to fans in stadiums. It is a bit of an interest of mine. The idea of the old suburban grounds being a shared, communal space where values and social mores stemmed primarily from those using it is something that needs to be explored a bit more. What we have now is quite stark in contrast and has been a huge factor in the cultural changes we've seen around the game and barracking.

dogwatch 100% aware. Suits my argument. We are fanatics. Its beyond normal. I wouldn't have it any other way. If we were left to our own devices, or found some space to assert and perform our role we'd see some truly amazing things in the stands. A bit extreme, maybe, but it'd be great if we could combat some of the devices employed to keep us in check and isolated and reclaim a bit of the tribe, mob feeling.

Many thanks Mutt. I pulled a piece together at one point in time around power and social control as it applies to fans in stadiums. It is a bit of an interest of mine. The idea of the old suburban grounds being a shared, communal space where values and social mores stemmed primarily from those using it is something that needs to be explored a bit more. What we have now is quite stark in contrast and has been a huge factor in the cultural changes we've seen around the game and barracking.

dogwatch 100% aware. Suits my argument. We are fanatics. Its beyond normal. I wouldn't have it any other way. If we were left to our own devices, or found some space to assert and perform our role we'd see some truly amazing things in the stands. A bit extreme, maybe, but it'd be great if we could combat some of the devices employed to keep us in check and isolated and reclaim a bit of the tribe, mob feeling.
Love it. Wish they'd let us "Like :thumbsu:" a post in orders of magnitude.

I was discussing the old suburban tribalism and free-flowing standing-room terraces with friends on the weekend. I miss all that, along with the cheers squad banners that used to be draped over the fence all round the ground, saying things liked "Our fantastic ferocious high-flying Footscray" ... it's space that's now reserved for advertisers and the corporations that run the game.

Today's young fans get only the antiseptic regimentation of all-seat stadiums.

taking my 4yo to his first stint in the cheer squad this week.
He reckons he needs a flag or something to wave.
He's a bit excited
I'm sure you can be helped with that :D

taking my 4yo to his first stint in the cheer squad this week.
He reckons he needs a flag or something to wave.
He's a bit excited
Warning! You may be sub poena'd to appear before the Royal Commission into child abuse.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheer Squad is back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back