Hot Topic Chicken Little thread - 2024 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor decisions lead to years of failure. Hiring Voss over Kingsley. Selecting a support cast which were the left overs from the competition. This coaching group collectively have 7 brain cells firing.

What we just witnessed this season was a farcical dumpster fire of ineptitude from the entire football department. Brad Lloyd should be first to go.

Let’s be honest. We had a lucky run of form late last season. But the Carlton we have grown to know is still there.

Nothing has changed and I fear nothing will.

I have to confess that I sent an email to the club tonight, asking them to cancel the automatic rollover on 3 memberships that I pay for.

My financial support shouldn't be taken for granted, and I want to see what unfolds over the coming couple of months.

I have to confess that I sent an email to the club tonight, asking them to cancel the automatic rollover on 3 memberships that I pay for.

My financial support shouldn't be taken for granted, and I want to see what unfolds over the coming couple of months.
I’d love to do the same, but I don’t want to risk losing grand final access. Part of me still has a little bit of hope.

Poor decisions lead to years of failure. Hiring Voss over Kingsley. Selecting a support cast which were the left overs from the competition. This coaching group collectively have 7 brain cells firing.

What we just witnessed this season was a farcical dumpster fire of ineptitude from the entire football department. Brad Lloyd should be first to go.

Let’s be honest. We had a lucky run of form late last season. But the Carlton we have grown to know is still there.

Nothing has changed and I fear nothing will.
The main group is not ruthless enough

They are too soft, too nice

Club had to make some brutal calls that has to shake the fundamentals but that can also have an adverse affect

This group has 24 months to win a flag imo

The dream destination for non achievers both onfield and off.
Very well remunerated in a comfortable, relaxed country club environment with next to no expectation or accountability.
A once ruthless and demanding club, reduced to laughing stock status for 30 years and counting.
Unconditional support be dammed … it’s the domain of the brain dead and lazy where you generally get what you accept and deserve.
If nothing changes … nothing changes …

Hopefully it's ok to use this thread to get this off my chest.
I have no advice for the club, coach or players. Why the hell should I know more than them. I'll talk about what it feels like to be a Carlton supporter over the last 24 years; I have just gradually eroded all expectations, positive ones at least.
I see clubs like Hawthorn, Collingwood, Geelong, and Sydney never really bottoming out for any significant length of time, and wonder why we can't be like that.
Our flag drought is now the longest after St Kilda and Freo, and right now it feels no closer to breaking.
I'm lucky, I am old enough to have gotten to see flags, but my 17 yo son, not so much. The only nice thing at the moment is that he at least seems to be positive and optimistic about the club, but I wonder if this generation are just more accepting of mediocrity.
For once i'd like to see Carlton be the innovators, have the people that are the next senior coaches in-waiting. Something that other clubs would envy, with personnel that THEY headhunt from us.

What did you tell them that you'd like to see unfold over the coming months?

I’ve thought about it throughout the season, going to game seems like a chore this year. But I don’t want to lose my reserve seats (think there is a waiting list now).

With the constant gibberish the club spew out and the cost of living crisis, wouldn’t surprise me if the club took a hit in membership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve thought about it throughout the season, going to game seems like a chore this year. But I don’t want to lose my reserve seats (think there is a waiting list now).

With the constant gibberish the club spew out and the cost of living crisis, wouldn’t surprise me if the club took a hit in membership.

How can you let these types that draw generous salaries from the club hold you to ransom through fear.
There’s far better bang for your buck to be had … give it a try 👍

It's not going to take an outstanding team to win the flag this year, but we still found a way to blow it in the end.

We keep talking about potential and next year etc, but sooner or later this team needs to either take that dump or get off the pot.

Their premiership window isn't going to stay open forever after all.

I pay for 5 memberships.
After reading this I’m so tempted to do the same.
What is the email address ?

Voss is a fraud .

There’s nothing there.

Gibberish even he doesn’t believe anymore. He might have a vision of what we should play like but he either can’t articulate it or he can articulate it and it’s just totally shit .

The first half was a perfect microcosm of the second half of our season. Just head-scratchingly awful execution, a tactical mess, selection integrity issues, and a bewildered coach on the bench who is in way over his head.

I just don't think the club will do the bold thing anymore. They'll look to the 106,000 memberships and "making finals" as justification. Russell is the scalp they've already offered and my fear is it will be the only one of significance. The playing group is self-congratulatory(despite winning nothing), lacks football intelligence, and most are happy to sit back and let others do the hard thing. This group peaked last season after our inept coach stopped trying to be a coach.

In contrast, I am fascinated by what the Hawks have done with a very ordinary list and turned around their fortunes mid-season in stunning fashion. In the meantime, Carlton continues to preach patience and "learning about ourselves" week after week after yet another devastating loss. I don't see any evidence of lessons learned.

(note: Hopefully this formats correctly)

I received a one day (justified, emotions were running high from lots of people) ban from BigFooty for posting my - honest - feelings about three players. Perhaps it was in the wrong forum (game day thread) and could have been better posted here but I've had some time to reflect and I've decided to post my feelings in the appropriate "Chicken Little" thread.

Before I begin I feel that it is important to point out that I was not expecting a victory last night. In fact, when my partner was driving us into South Bank for the members function she asked me what my expected outcome from the match was. I told her that I expected a five to ten-goal loss. There were too many players carrying injuries into the game that were "dicey selections" (mirrored by Diesel's comments at the member's function). At least one player who I felt had earned their place in the team and had a relatively important role to play but had been overlooked (namely Cincotta who should have been played on Zorko from the first bounce as many here pointed to) and cases could be made for others.

As a paying member of this football club and someone who spent significant money on supporting this team last night, and sat around people who spent significantly more (flights, accommodation, etc.) all I can reasonably ask for is that the 23 players we select and send out onto the ground can leave the playing field with their heads held high at the end of the contest acknowledging "I gave it my best, we didn't get the job done but I know that I gave it my all.

Most players were well down on form and expected output. However, these players stood out in my opinion for not being able to honestly say that they fulfilled this obligation to themselves, their teammates and our supporters.

The Mongrel Punt's player ratings for last night hit the nail on the head:

Don’t let the numbers fool you. Pittonet got completely outplayed by McInerney in this match. Those late goals mean as much as the words that follow “It’s not you, it’s me” in a break-up conversation… Nothing. As they say in the NBA, “Have fun learning Chinese buddy” (meaning he should not be playing AFL with those efforts).

One of my most significant causes of frustration and anger with Pitto is that I was screaming the same thing twelve months ago after another heartless performance in the preliminary final.

It was there for all to see.

We didn't learn then but I sure as hell hope that we learn now.

Marc is so "**** on a bull" that he had one AFL level performance in the second half of the season. It came against a West Coast team who had firmly placed the cue in the rack for the last two weeks of the season and against a direct opponent who really isn't up to AFL standard and some Eagles supporters claim isn't even WAFL level.

The following week in a "must win" (thankfully it didn't turn out to be so) match against St. Kilda he had Rowan Marshall on one leg and the doctors contemplating substituting him out of the game before half-time. Marshall refused to be subbed out of the game and went on to destroy him.

The form continued last night. Pittonet has one job in our team. To present his midfielders with clearance opportunities. So woefully inept was Pittonet last night that when TDK was substituted into the game with the club 10 goals down he had enough time to lead the team in clearances by half-time.

When presented with AFL level competition Pittonet is consistently found wanting, demonstrating little to no effort, a severe lack of persistence, and a willingness to show up every week to receive a fraudulent paycheck.

Frankly, I do not care that he is the captain's best mate on the team and that Cripps has gone to bat for him multiple times to get him into the team. It's nepotism at its absolute worst.

===

2. Jesse Motlop

In the game preview thread, I shared my dismay that Alex Cincotta was not selected for the final. I am still admonished today. I would have selected Cincotta and played him on Zorko from the first bounce. The player that I would have selected Cincotta ahead of was Jesse Motlop.

The Mongrel Punt review again hit the nail on the head:

Jesse Motlop - 1

Just could not get involved in any sort of meaningful way. Was far from alone and it was a constant theme for all of Carlton’s small forwards as Brisbane’s defence completely shut them out.

I am unsurprised when the track watchers say he was flying in the preseason. I suspect he will do the same again this summer (if we haven't traded him). He shined at the AFL Draft combine (especially in the agility test where he was 4th nationally). Showing out in non-game situations is where he does his best business.

When it comes to performing in games he wasn't lighting it up in his VFL matches (by all reports) and he hadn't done anything in the build-up to finals to suggest that he was in any way deserving of a selection.

What I see almost every time I watch Jesse play is a player who is very nonchalant, laconic, and often aloof. This is a trait that has tracked with every Motlop who has ever played in the AFL regardless of the level of success they have individually achieved. There's room for it but it's as the cream rather than as an important piece.

Ultimately, his selection has cost Alex Cincotta a place in the side where he would have played an invaluable role. It was the wrong call on Thursday night and it played out exactly as we knew it would.

===

3. Corey Durdin

Let's go back to the Mongrel Punt for their verdict of Durdin's turd of a performance:

[19] Corey Durdin – 0

Must have borrowed Harry Potter’s cloak of invisibility. Didn’t actually know he was out there. He should stew on this performance and use it as motivation all summer long.

To be perfectly honest and up front, I haven't seen what many see in him. I don't see an AFL-grade player. I don't see the courage and fight you need to see from an AFL small forward regularly enough. I see someone lauded for their defensive pressure and who has a highlight reel of tackles that beyond the highlights lacks the substance to be a genuine best 23 player on a quality team.

Last night was exactly what you'd expect of a third rate player in an elimination final. Four disposals, one mark, two tackles, and a simple meaningless goal assist.

I don't want to hear "but he's a small forward. What did you expect him to do on a night like last night?" because I can tell you what I expected out of him to not put him into this category.

When a small forward with the type of physical attributes that Durdin has - small, quick, the ability to tackle and pressure when he wants to - can't get into the game you put yourself into the game. Get into the action, push yourself into the thick of it. Don't just stand there with the cloak of invisibility on and do ****ing nothing.

There is not a single world in the metaverse where Corey Durdin shouldn't have been subbed out of the game instead of Kennedy.

The sad fact is that he gave us less production than Kennedy in almost three times the playing time.

A massive problem for the boys last night was their inability to combat the Lions' aerial game when we got the ball forward. Time and time again we'd bomb the ball forward and their defenders would pick us off.

The smalls - notably Motlop and Durdin - would then not apply pressure on the rebound and the Lions would quickly work their way forward effortlessly. Pressure starts on the rebound and neither Durdin or Motlop did anything meaningful to combat it.

Kennedy, a noted medium-sized marking option, could have turned the tide. He was being outplayed early on but putting him forward would have presented our forwards with another option and would have forced the Lions to play a defender on him potentially opening it up for our other targets. Vossy simply couldn't point to the pressure Durdin and Motlop provided as a reason against this simple move.

===

Ultimately, I'm still absolutely pissed that these three got anywhere near an AFL final in a Carlton guernsey in 2024.

TL;DR -- I don't care. I had an entire day to stew and get this out. Still spent plenty of time with family today. It was great.

The dream destination for non achievers both onfield and off.
Very well remunerated in a comfortable, relaxed country club environment with next to no expectation or accountability.
A once ruthless and demanding club, reduced to laughing stock status for 30 years and counting.
Unconditional support be dammed … it’s the domain of the brain dead and lazy where you generally get what you accept and deserve.
If nothing changes … nothing changes …

Watch Diesel Williams' speech on the game day preview thread from the member's function.

I knew from the moment that those words came out of his mouth that the club had given up on the season and that we weren't going to be accountable for our loss.

I feel like they summoned Curnow tot he event to give us something.

There is a waiting list and it has just gotten worse.

I'm trying to get my partner and son onto it so if we move back to Melbourne we'd be able to attend regularly together.

Before this year the wait list was just a wait list. Anyone could sign up to it at any time and they'd just go to the back of the line no questions asked.

The club sent out emails a few days ago advising that if we want to continue on the wait list you have to buy 5-game memberships at the very least.

I'm happy to buy 3x max level membership if we get upgraded from the waiting list but haven't seen the value in buying reserve ticket memberships when I'm only going to get to one or two games in a season (if we travel home for a full week and play two games in that span).

After last night I find the demand to be a bit rich,

What did you tell them that you'd like to see unfold over the coming months?

I didn't. Just told them to stop my roll-over. I'm just waiting to see what happens for myself. They don't need me giving them conditions. It's not my job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hot Topic Chicken Little thread - 2024 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back