Chris Dawes vs. Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well publicised that we went hard after Dawes during the early part of trade week only to have him re-commit to Collingwood. At the time I was a little disappointed, but TBH I’m not the biggest wrap for Dawes.

Mitch Clark is undoubtedly an enigma, but gives us basically the player we needed.

I voted Clark as he gives us extra flexibility and has the raw talent even though the jury is out on his consistency and ability to play as a stand alone key forward.

Hard not to be biased but I'd take Clark. He is a ruck option and has played as a number one forward. Dawes is a great second big man but we need a number one forward which is what Clark is.

He will also suit our crumbling forwards perfectly with the way he smashes packs. We know J.Brown experienced that.

Dawes is good, but that's it. Watching him tonight, which is lets be honest the calibre of team mate he'd be playing with and he was less than impressive.

He’s not a number 1 key forward.

I guess we need to see how Clark goes as a permanent forward first, but as for Dawes, the phrase 'massively overrated' doesn't come close to describing him. Cloke is a gun, and takes the best defender and most of the focus. Their midfeild puts the ball to their forwards lace out with more inside 50's than you can count. He has an easy gig, and would really struggle on his own in an average team.

Clark is a Ruckmen and was a good one at that, as a FF though he isn't as good, Poor hands and can miss some easy shots.

Mitch Clark only kicked 27 goals last season from 17 matches, Liam Jurrah kicked 40 goals last season from 18 matches.

I know some of you aren't sold on him yet but he will be worth it if he brings the right attitude (Think Brendan Fevola) - Just don't expect him to kick over 40 goals.

Good luck in 2012, I like the Dee's and I hope you show Scully what he is missing out on!

I think there is a misconception among the footy public that we are expecting Mitch to come in to the team and win the Coleman this year. If he can do the following, I'd be thrilled:

- Take some contested grabs
- Bring the ball to ground inside the forward 50
- Split some packs and have a presence
- Kick 30 odd goals for the year
- Play some minutes in the ruck and have an impact

It's what he brings to our structure that is why he's on the big coin. He is expected to perform, but the expectations aren't unrealistic from MFC supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A very very silly thread!!!

Why??? We pursued two KPF's during the trade period. We got one and missed the other. What's wrong with comparing the two?

I think Clark is being paid massive overs for output. However, he has potential.

Dawes is horrid. He can't mark overhead. He cracks the sads when things don't go his way. He comes across as slow and clumsy.

Clark, by alot.

I think Clark will add a lot to our forward line and i was super excited about his recruitment. Being based in Brisbane I've been fortunate enough to see a few games where he has torn it up and have no doubt he will contibute strongly.

Having said that above poll is certainly not a clear call. IMHO Dawes would have the presence Clark doesnt have, i think Clark will be playing the same role as Martin, Watts, Cook and even Jurrah could play (all be it more polished) as he has a similar body type. Dawes could have been more of a pack splitter. I voted for Clark as I think he is the better player, still not convinced Dawes may not be the better fit at Melbourne. No doubt both would be fantastic contibutors and i look forward to seeing what Clark will do.

Dawes.

Premiership player. Clark might be better all round but he isn't proven, and had one awesome year ahead of two pretty average ones.

Although I know Clark will be great for us.

I think there is a misconception among the footy public that we are expecting Mitch to come in to the team and win the Coleman this year. If he can do the following, I'd be thrilled:

It's what he brings to our structure that is why he's on the big coin. He is expected to perform, but the expectations aren't unrealistic from MFC supporters.

Agree Spirit, if he can play a smilar role to what Mooney did at Geelong for so many years id be happy. His presence in our forward line will be just as important as the goals he kicks.

Plus he takes the best defender.... massive for us...

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Dawes vs. Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back