Chris Grant to be interviewed on 3AW soon!

Remove this Banner Ad

I took notes of it. Here they are :)

HOW FAR AWAY DO YOU FEEL THIS WEEK

Is extremely difficult watching the players build up for a preliminary final.

Havn't handled retirement after football well at all. Don't miss the rigours of Monday to Friday but miss playing on the weekend. If football was just about turning up to play on the weekend, I would still play.

DO YOU DREAM ABOUT FOOTBALL

Don't sleep at night and dream of football but still feel part of the game when I watch it. I am thinking about where players should position themselves and feel every bump and hit that the bulldog players do.

KICKING FOR GOAL ACCURACY

In one season at an accuracy conversion of 84%. Finished at 60%.

Started really well with kicking for goal and finished really well but had a bad middle period. Main problem was taking too much advice and listening to too many people. Had a natural action where I would kick away from my body when kicking for goal and moved away from that through advice from various people.

Came out of the bad patch at kicking for goal when got advice from John Ballantyne. Johhny Ballantyne was the best kick for goal I had seen at the Bulldogs.He went and trialled with the NFL in USA like Ben Graham and Sav Rocco did. The greatest thing he learnt from being taught in the NFL about kicking was to kick with your natural action. He rang me up and gave me advice to kick as I naturally do, and not try to force yourself to start a kicking action that isn't natural. Every player has different size legs and has a different run. It is hard to teach one rule of kicking for goal, everyone is different.

HOW WILL THE BULLDOGS BE FEELING THIS WEEK

The preliminary final week is a huge week. The reality is that you are knocking on the door of a Grand Final. You are one week away from going to the big dance.

You feel much pressure and anxiety but on the flip side you are one week away from your boyhood dream.

Johnno and Eagleton would be well prepared and mentally tough from the experience of the other preliminary finals.

The new players, Cooney, Murphy, Higgins don't know what it is like to lose 3 or 4 prelim finals so they will be chaffing at the bit to get out there and have a go at getting into a grand final.

This is the big plus for the bulldogs. Many of their stars and great players won't be scarred by the losses of other years.

97 was a terrible dissappointment and instantly after that there came this huge hunger to win it the following year. We became obsessed with it and when the 98 preliminary final finally came around, we completely imploded.

This side is completely different to the one that imploded in 98. They are a lot younger now with different experiences. Last year they got a taste for it, and this year, they will be ready to win it.

DISSAPPOINTMENT OF MISSING OUT ON BROWNLOW

Felt really really dissappointed at it.

Was dissappointed for my family, but also team mates, all the bulldogs supporters who gave so much support, plus all supporters from other teams who poured in their support as well.

But I would give all that up to be playing for an opportunity to win a preliminary final and play a Grand Final. That is my one big regret that I missed playing in a Grand Final and missed experiencing what it feels like.

FRIDAYS MATCH

We will have to play extraordinarily well to win.

Our style will need to be a run and break through St kildas defensive process.

We have to move forward. We cannot go sideways. We have to get it through their defense.

We need to control most quarters. It won't be a blow out where we will kick 20 goals. We need to try and win each quarter by a goal or so, and go into the last quarter 3 or 4 goals up and win from there by holding that lead.

WHAT WILL YOU DO THIS BROWNLOW NIGHT

Will have a get together with all the brownlow medalists who were ineligible(Corey Mc Kernan) in a function to raise money for charity and will watch the brownlow medal from there.

wbFOOTSCRAYgrant_gallery__470x311.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few people win a Premiership medallion. Even fewer win a Brownlow. But even fewer are the number of people who could be said to have been responsible for saving a Football club. Who knows what would have happened to the Bulldogs if Chris had headed off to Port?
Often it's not so much what you 'get' during your life as how you live it. Chris Grant stands out like a beacon as being more than a great footballer, but as a great bloke as well.
Having said that though - Oh how I would have loved to see him raise a Premiership cup....

Thanks TBFB.
Rarely get Chris Grant media outlet.
He is a more realistic person in saying, "We will have to play extraordinarily well to win" rather we can win it it's our time or this year team is better than blah blah... I like his judgement and humble approach to matters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Grant to be interviewed on 3AW soon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back